Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2011, 08:36 PM

158 posts, read 380,936 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions on health insurance coverage for a 26 year old part time student, part time worker in Columbus Ohio? No pre-existing conditions.

Thank you,
Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 04:21 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,950,268 times
Find someone that can get you at least three quotes, decide how high of a deductible you can afford. When i didn't have insurance I had Anthem for a while, but then they got too expensive so I got Medical Mutual of Ohio for around $100/month w/a $2500 deductible.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:02 PM

737 posts, read 1,150,977 times
Go to the ehealthinsurance web site. You can compare policies by price, deductible, and coverage. Suzie Ormon and most financial people recommend them. An agent would not for obvious reasons.
If you smoke expect to pay more. I pay $252 for $2500 Medical Mutual, but I am more than twice your age, and smoke.

A lot of people don't realize that even if your deductible is not reached, say an emergency room visit, you don't have to pay full price. You would pay the insurance companies negotiated price, not the uninsured price. So even if all a person could afford is a $10,000 deductible, they would be better off than not having insurance.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:13 PM

158 posts, read 380,936 times
Thank you both for your advice. I will look into the options.

Matt

Old 08-24-2011, 10:53 PM

8 posts, read 9,477 times
Somehow I saw this thread online. Just to provide accurate information....agents don't recommend EHealth because customers prefer to work with experienced brokers located in Ohio instead of a customer service number out of state.

Rates here in Ohio are mandated so there is no difference in rates offered by a broker or EHealth.

Based on my 30 years in the business, customers want to speak to someone who is unbiased, knows the state, and can fully explain details of each and every carrier. Yes, I prefer Ohioquotes.com, the premier trusted authority in the state. Of course I'm a bit biased! Any experienced Ohio broker will do fine.

Re the 26 year-old male... Medical Mutual's rate is $93 per month for the SuperMed One Copay plan and UnitedHealthCare's rate is $86 for similar coverage. Of course, they do have a $4 fee as well. But there are also low cost options in the $55- $75 range from Anthem that offer limited office visit benefits.

In fairness, there are many variables and these rates assume a healthy male with normal BMI. I hope this helps.

Last edited by OQuotes; 08-24-2011 at 10:54 PM.. Reason: whoops

Old 08-25-2011, 09:07 AM

737 posts, read 1,150,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OQuotes View Post
Somehow I saw this thread online. Just to provide accurate information....agents don't recommend EHealth because customers prefer to work with experienced brokers located in Ohio instead of a customer service number out of state.

Rates here in Ohio are mandated so there is no difference in rates offered by a broker or EHealth.

Based on my 30 years in the business, customers want to speak to someone who is unbiased, knows the state, and can fully explain details of each and every carrier. Yes, I prefer Ohioquotes.com, the premier trusted authority in the state. Of course I'm a bit biased! Any experienced Ohio broker will do fine.

Re the 26 year-old male... Medical Mutual's rate is $93 per month for the SuperMed One Copay plan and UnitedHealthCare's rate is $86 for similar coverage. Of course, they do have a $4 fee as well. But there are also low cost options in the $55- $75 range from Anthem that offer limited office visit benefits.

In fairness, there are many variables and these rates assume a healthy male with normal BMI. I hope this helps.
Though ehealth my policy is with a broker in Columbus. The broker handles other companies besides Medical Mutual. I am sure that they can explain everything needed. I don't know where you got the idea that there is only a customer service number and brokers are not involved.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:31 AM

8 posts, read 9,477 times
Local brokers are not involved in EHealth. That's a fact. You may have a broker in Columbus and that's great. Bravo! But independent brokers do not work for EHealth.

Yes, they can place an EHealth link on their website but that just shows they don't want to deal with the local customer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: