Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 11:51 AM

973 posts, read 2,142,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Wow your name says it all. Its negative attitudes like yours that make me wonder. FLEE THE RUST BELT. Toledo is a great city with so much history and diversity. Things are changing. I can't wait to see how well the "Rust Belt" is doing in 15 years from now, and people like youself look back and see what stupid comments you said about this place.

Toledo offers one of the best art museums in the country, one of the best zoos, a great skyline, a new downtown ball park is planned, the Skyway Bridge was just finished, Toledo approved the Marina District across the Maumee from downtown. If you are from the Rust Belt, I am glad you left, because it is people like you who have no faith, and keep so much around you in the negative.
1st off, I lived in Akron all my life until Jan 07, when we moved here to SLC, UT. I miss the green of Ohio, & my family & friends. It is older, hence more 'rust', which I noticed when I was looking at the photos of the skylines (toss up between Cincy & Cleveland for me =) , compared to other cities that are newer. Which, of course would be less 'rusty'. Having said that, I LOVE Ohio! We plan to move back later this year. Utah is beautiful, & right now, very snowy. Ohio still has more of an 'old' way of thinking sometimes. It's getting there though. =) & yes, there are a ton of great places to visit there. On another state site, there was someone talking about moving to another state, & their name was something similar, like 'ihateohio' or something like that. Very sad indeed. I don't hate any state. Well, okay, there is ONE state that I hate, but, that's only 'cause I'm an Ohioian. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 03:27 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,903,195 times
^LOL I think I might now which one you are talking about. Most of the northern states besides Idaho, Oregon and Washington have their "older" cities. But honestly I like that. New cities like Phoenix and Tucson are just sprawly, and honesty ugly. These older cities have so much character, history, and diversity. Not many western cities have that. And the northern cities are making huge comebacks. Take a visit to Cleveland and Cincinnati, and they are almost completely different from the 80s or 90s versions. I am not saying the west doesn't have its goods, cause it sure does. But when it comes to cities, I find them more dangerous out there and more crime, and they just lack character.

Utah is a great state, I really like it there. Park City is amazing. In fact, in General U.S. it had your "favorite states" and Utah was on mine. I always enjoy my trips out there. My friend Mitch moved to Cleveland from Salt Lake. He enjoys Ohio a lot.

I guess its just what you want out of a state. People have their own opinions, and thats ok, but some really tend to bash a state. Ohio is no Michigan, thank god lol, but with our new govenor and government, I can really see Ohio doing good in the few years ahead.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:32 PM

True, Ohio does have more character. Utah is pretty safe. LOL At least my burb out by the mountains is. I love the views here better, but I miss home. I love that alot of Moms here are SAHM, so I have a wonderful network of friends & kids for my kids to play w/. I also love that the cities have a ton of stuff set up for parents & kids. That is mainly I guess what I'd like to see Ohio do more of. =) Cleveland does look alot better than it used to, as does Akron. I didn't get to many other cities lately to comment. I wish Akron itself would get a new mayor, & a better rep. My Mom went to school w/ the mayor, & my friends went to grade school w/ his kids. As a person, he's okay, I just don't like his politics at all. Sorry, going way OT here. How's the new gov. of Ohio so far? I was scared to death when he was elected in 06. I haven't heard much yet, so I guess no news is good news???

Sorry, bottom line, I wish Akron would have more things for families. More FREE things for families. I have a 4yo son & 3yo daughter. I go to cheap or free places 2-5 times a week out here w/ my Mom's group (more free in the summer when you can get outside more =) , & I wish Ohio were more like that. However, there is good & bad. I'll keep the bad to myself for now. LOL & yes, Park City is nice, but I like Alta, Snowbird, & Brighton as well for our winter sports (which are more sledding, hiking, & snowshoeing LOL) . I do love to ramble. =)

Old 01-22-2008, 05:18 PM

30 posts, read 205,160 times
Cincinnati without a doubt! If you've ever been to the annual labor day fire works and sat on the kentucky side or simply driven over the bridge from covington at night you know Cincy has one of the best skyline's in the country!! The buildings aren't as tall as alot of places but they are so well placed and interesting!

Old 01-22-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyezRule View Post
True, Ohio does have more character. Utah is pretty safe. LOL At least my burb out by the mountains is. I love the views here better, but I miss home. I love that alot of Moms here are SAHM, so I have a wonderful network of friends & kids for my kids to play w/. I also love that the cities have a ton of stuff set up for parents & kids. That is mainly I guess what I'd like to see Ohio do more of. =) Cleveland does look alot better than it used to, as does Akron. I didn't get to many other cities lately to comment. I wish Akron itself would get a new mayor, & a better rep. My Mom went to school w/ the mayor, & my friends went to grade school w/ his kids. As a person, he's okay, I just don't like his politics at all. Sorry, going way OT here. How's the new gov. of Ohio so far? I was scared to death when he was elected in 06. I haven't heard much yet, so I guess no news is good news???

Sorry, bottom line, I wish Akron would have more things for families. More FREE things for families. I have a 4yo son & 3yo daughter. I go to cheap or free places 2-5 times a week out here w/ my Mom's group (more free in the summer when you can get outside more =) , & I wish Ohio were more like that. However, there is good & bad. I'll keep the bad to myself for now. LOL & yes, Park City is nice, but I like Alta, Snowbird, & Brighton as well for our winter sports (which are more sledding, hiking, & snowshoeing LOL) . I do love to ramble. =)
LOL Snowbird was my favorite. The new government here in Ohio hasn't done too much, in the coming years so much is going to change though. In 2010 Ohio is said to have one of the best tax incentives that will lure in so many new jobs. Govenor Strickland is a good govenor, its going to take him some time to clean up Taft's mess. Strickland also plans to lower college costs, and keep college students staying in Ohio after they graduate. I think next decade is really going to be very positive for Ohio, maybe one of the best growth in economies.

Cities like Cincinnati and Columbus are doing very well, and have been for sometime now, that is why you are seeing huge projects being proposed then approved and then built. Cincinnati is a huge success story. Now Cleveland is finally stepping onto that boat with The Avenue District, the Flats District, Euclid Corridor, a couple new highrises are proposed in Cleveland to meet the high growth of downtown, and people need more space. The downtown population like I have mentioned is one of the fastest growing in the country.

Ohio is doing a good job coming back, but give it more time and you will be extremely suprised.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy View Post
Cincinnati without a doubt! If you've ever been to the annual labor day fire works and sat on the kentucky side or simply driven over the bridge from covington at night you know Cincy has one of the best skyline's in the country!! The buildings aren't as tall as alot of places but they are so well placed and interesting!

Cincinnati just approved to build its new tallest. Queen City will be over 700 feet high. Building is expected to start in March. The Banks Project on the central riverfront has already started the details of the land and should start construction in the spring. That will include midrise condos, shopping, restaurants, and a riverfront park.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:36 PM

98 posts, read 314,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
LOL Snowbird was my favorite. The new government here in Ohio hasn't done too much, in the coming years so much is going to change though. In 2010 Ohio is said to have one of the best tax incentives that will lure in so many new jobs. Govenor Strickland is a good govenor, its going to take him some time to clean up Taft's mess. Strickland also plans to lower college costs, and keep college students staying in Ohio after they graduate. I think next decade is really going to be very positive for Ohio, maybe one of the best growth in economies.

Cities like Cincinnati and Columbus are doing very well, and have been for sometime now, that is why you are seeing huge projects being proposed then approved and then built. Cincinnati is a huge success story. Now Cleveland is finally stepping onto that boat with The Avenue District, the Flats District, Euclid Corridor, a couple new highrises are proposed in Cleveland to meet the high growth of downtown, and people need more space. The downtown population like I have mentioned is one of the fastest growing in the country.

Ohio is doing a good job coming back, but give it more time and you will be extremely suprised.
If this happens I'll be amazed but I really don't see it happening. I can't wait to leave Ohio, your winters are miserable, not as moderate here in Columbus as they say they are. A moderate winter climate is VA, NC, and TN but not Columbus or Ohio. Climate is a big part of the decision making process when finding a job or transferring. College students are the same way and frankly every intern we get at our company here says Ohio's weather stinks and they can't wait to leave for a place where it's sunny and warmer even if it means being paid less, which in most cases it's not. Also United Van Lines did a statistic which said they continue to move more people out of Ohio than in, where are they going? Down south of course.

Ohio is going to have to pay some pretty good salaries to entice people here and so far that hasn't happened either. I don't get paid enough to deal with this weather up here, when I can live in a much warmer climate and make the same amount of money. Sure Columbus may be growing and not at a record rate either, but where are those people coming from, more northern states or from other Ohio cities, Ohio won't be able to grab where the brain drain is going, which is down south. Hmm, 6 months of cold, snow, and limited sunlight or 6 months of a moderatly warm climate with an occassional snowfall a couple times a year, more sun in that 6 months than Ohio sees in a year, a couple hours driving distance to a "real" beach or mountains, and something to do outside year round, the choice is pretty simple there.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:59 PM

Ouch! Some of us are fine w/ the cold climate, & not alot of sunny days. I do love the sun in Utah, along w/ the mountains, but, I'm pale, so shade is okay. LOL My family & closest friends are in NE Ohio though, so it's tough.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west5548 View Post
If this happens I'll be amazed but I really don't see it happening. I can't wait to leave Ohio, your winters are miserable, not as moderate here in Columbus as they say they are. A moderate winter climate is VA, NC, and TN but not Columbus or Ohio. Climate is a big part of the decision making process when finding a job or transferring. College students are the same way and frankly every intern we get at our company here says Ohio's weather stinks and they can't wait to leave for a place where it's sunny and warmer even if it means being paid less, which in most cases it's not. Also United Van Lines did a statistic which said they continue to move more people out of Ohio than in, where are they going? Down south of course.

Ohio is going to have to pay some pretty good salaries to entice people here and so far that hasn't happened either. I don't get paid enough to deal with this weather up here, when I can live in a much warmer climate and make the same amount of money. Sure Columbus may be growing and not at a record rate either, but where are those people coming from, more northern states or from other Ohio cities, Ohio won't be able to grab where the brain drain is going, which is down south. Hmm, 6 months of cold, snow, and limited sunlight or 6 months of a moderatly warm climate with an occassional snowfall a couple times a year, more sun in that 6 months than Ohio sees in a year, a couple hours driving distance to a "real" beach or mountains, and something to do outside year round, the choice is pretty simple there.
Most of this is just opinion based, perfect example there, the weather! Anyway, I will respond to this later, headed to the Cavs game! Hope everyone has a great Friday night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio