Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2008, 02:51 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,846,598 times

Advertisements

Nothing in Ohio beats Cincy's skyline coming through the cut in the hill! This is coming from a former Columbusite... no homerism here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 03:29 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,926,074 times
Cincinnati lakes height though. Cleveland has 3 really tall buildings (Key tower is still the tallest building between NYC and Chicago), and a handfull of tall buildings and high rises. The only difference is Cincinnati has a smaller skyline that is compact with medium buildings and just a few tall ones.

1. Cleveland
2. Cincinnati
3. Close call

Old 04-23-2008, 11:16 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,453,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
Cincinnati lakes height though. Cleveland has 3 really tall buildings (Key tower is still the tallest building between NYC and Chicago), and a handfull of tall buildings and high rises. The only difference is Cincinnati has a smaller skyline that is compact with medium buildings and just a few tall ones.

1. Cleveland
2. Cincinnati
3. Close call
completely agree, though i think philly is in that category of between ny and chi and the comcast building is taller. cincinnati is building a large building now, and rapidly growing fifth third HAS to build their long stalled project soon to centralize and save money. cleveland has height, but it's not dense. more of a line of buildings (not quite columbus) with the tallest detached from the rest. kinda elitist actually for cleveland standards .

Old 04-23-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
completely agree, though i think philly is in that category of between ny and chi and the comcast building is taller. cincinnati is building a large building now, and rapidly growing fifth third HAS to build their long stalled project soon to centralize and save money. cleveland has height, but it's not dense. more of a line of buildings (not quite columbus) with the tallest detached from the rest. kinda elitist actually for cleveland standards .
I have always heard that the Key Tower (950 ft, 17th tallest in the US) was the tallest building between NYC and Chicago, but I was confused at that. There are taller buildings in Philly and Atlanta, so I dont understand how they got that information, maybe they just mean straight across lol. But that is good news for Cleveland, they were actually planning on constructing a building in Cleveland around 1,100 ft. Its good news that Cincinnati is getting a taller building too.

The only cities that have taller buildings than the Key Tower are (and how many): Chicago-6, NYC-5, Houston-2, Atlanta-1, Los Angeles-1, and Philadelphia-1.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:17 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,719,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
But that is good news for Cleveland, they were actually planning on constructing a building in Cleveland around 1,100 ft
What building/company? I couldn't find anything on Emporis about this?

I'm with pretty much everyone else here ... I'd like to have height and I loooooove Key, but a skyline is just as it sounds, a skyline. It's impressiveness is determined by it's cluster of buildings and the shape they make, not height. Look at Dayton for example, pretty damn impressive skyline, but no super-talls.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
What building/company? I couldn't find anything on Emporis about this?

I'm with pretty much everyone else here ... I'd like to have height and I loooooove Key, but a skyline is just as it sounds, a skyline. It's impressiveness is determined by it's cluster of buildings and the shape they make, not height. Look at Dayton for example, pretty damn impressive skyline, but no super-talls.
Man, there was someone on the Cleveland forum that knew what company it was for, I dont really remember. I think it may have been Ameritrust? but Im not completely sure on that one. It was on Emporis for a while, but last time I checked I couldnt find it and it said I had to pay or something. I think it was proposed, but they didnt clear it and decided not to build it for some reason. It would have been around 1,100 feet.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:54 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,278,924 times
Cleveland used to have the tallest building between Chicago and New York. Philly built one recently that trumped it. Not sure where Atlanta ever fit into the equation with that factoid.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:47 AM

2,554 posts, read 6,904,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Cleveland used to have the tallest building between Chicago and New York. Philly built one recently that trumped it. Not sure where Atlanta ever fit into the equation with that factoid.
Key Tower is an amazing building. One of Cesar Pelli's best designs. Philly just built the Comcast Center which is a little under 30' higher than Key. Key is much better designed IMO though. Comcast is a big box.

Atlanta has a lot of talls. Bank of America stands at over 1000'.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:02 PM

374 posts, read 1,124,649 times
Key Tower was the tallest building in the US Between NYC and Chicago, but the Bank of America in Atlanta was and still is the tallest tower outside of Chicago and New York.

As far as Ohio's best skyline I would have to say it depends on ones own interest, which I have to say when it comes to scenary Cincinnati is the most scenic. Especially looking down Kentucky across the river at night, it is one of the most scenic in the country. Cleveland has the tallest buildings in Ohio and it also sits right on Lake Erie which makes a beautiful scene especially during sundown watching the sun set across the horizon, not to sound like a nature lover, but I work with cameras so I look at skylines thinking about medium shots and lower-thirds. As far as others saying thats it in Ohio, I disagree. Columbus has a beautiful skyline as well, and the buildings are not that small. And looking at the skyline from a distance is just as beautiful as both Cincinnati and Cleveland.

As far as cities such as Dayton, Akron, and my hometown of Toledo, all three cities have incredible skylines for cities their size. Toledo has three buildings over 30 stories tall, alot more than some cities that are alot bigger (not to offend anyone of their cities, but Im sorry Im really not too impressed with downtown Fresno). The new Veterans skyway makes it that more scenic. It sits along the Maumee river and you can see all of Toledo's tallest buildings from the river. Dayton has two nice size buildings that you can see from I-75 thats centered around most of downtown. Again Dayton has a population of only about 165K and for a city its size it has a very scenic skyline as well. To me Ohio has some of the best skylines in the country.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastonestanding View Post
Again Dayton has a population of only about 165K and for a city its size it has a very scenic skyline as well. To me Ohio has some of the best skylines in the country.
I agree with most of your post, but Dayton only has about 155k now or less. Its losing population at a very high rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio