Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2012, 06:38 PM

2 posts, read 5,106 times

Advertisements

I just (well, a couple of months ago) recently moved to Ohio and am trying to figure out what all I need to do in order to "officially" become an Ohio resident.

I've registered to vote here and have switched the address on my auto insurance to Ohio (they sent me new Ohio insurance certificates). My drivers license and car title/registration are still out of state (Minnesota).

Questions I have:

1. I'm planning on buying a new car soon (within a week or two, probably) and thus selling my current car or trading it in. Do I need to bother getting my car registered and titled in Ohio since I'm just going to be getting rid of it anyway? (I'm concerned that would slow the process down trying to sell the car if I go through that).

2. Along with #1 does it complicate things if I go get an Ohio drivers license but still have my car titled in the wrong state? (Would it be easier if I had an OH drivers license before I go trying to buy a new car)?

3. There seem to be all sorts of different kinds of offices (Deputy Registrar License Agency, Driver Exam Station, County Clerk of Courts Title Office among others) - is there not a single place to go to get all of this done at once? (if I do need to transfer my existing title it sounds like I'd have to go to the title office to get the title transferred, then getting a license the deputy registrar license agency)?

4. Am I putting myself into some kind of potential legal jeopardy by doing/not doing any of the above? (I keep reading about some kind of time limit for moving here but I assume this is really only enforced were I to be pulled over, and there doesn't seem to be any official information about this on the BMV website, just that it should be done "as soon as possible") - keeping in mind I'll be buying a car (in OH) soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 08:23 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,506,066 times
I don't know about other counties, but in our county, the Drivers Exam station, the Title office, and the Deputy Registrars office are all in the same building.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:52 PM

93 posts, read 203,427 times
I went to get my id renewed and switched to Ohio. unfortunately my birth certificate is not sealed. I have used that birth certificate all my life. Never had issues when I moved to Wva and back to Pa. But when I went in today I could not do it and now I am without an id until I buy a new birth certificate. I am pissed about that because my id expired today my birthday go figure.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:01 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,506,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl1023 View Post
I went to get my id renewed and switched to Ohio. unfortunately my birth certificate is not sealed. I have used that birth certificate all my life. Never had issues when I moved to Wva and back to Pa. But when I went in today I could not do it and now I am without an id until I buy a new birth certificate. I am pissed about that because my id expired today my birthday go figure.
If it helps any, Happy Birthday!

Old 10-24-2012, 04:00 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,180,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by im_that_guy View Post
Questions I have:

1. I'm planning on buying a new car soon (within a week or two, probably) and thus selling my current car or trading it in. Do I need to bother getting my car registered and titled in Ohio since I'm just going to be getting rid of it anyway? (I'm concerned that would slow the process down trying to sell the car if I go through that).
In short, no. If you are trading it in, the dealer will handle it. If you sell it outright, you will need to transfer the title to the new owner and the new owner will be responsible for having it titled in OH. You DO need an OH title to register the vehicle in OH.

Quote:
2. Along with #1 does it complicate things if I go get an Ohio drivers license but still have my car titled in the wrong state? (Would it be easier if I had an OH drivers license before I go trying to buy a new car)?
No. Just explain your situation to the dealer. You will likely just need to show proof of residency. Though, it won't hurt to have an OH license.

Quote:
3. There seem to be all sorts of different kinds of offices (Deputy Registrar License Agency, Driver Exam Station, County Clerk of Courts Title Office among others) - is there not a single place to go to get all of this done at once? (if I do need to transfer my existing title it sounds like I'd have to go to the title office to get the title transferred, then getting a license the deputy registrar license agency)?
Some registrars are title agencies, some aren't. Check the website: ODPS | BMV | (18) Cuyahoga County Services

When buying a new car, the dealer will handle the title and sometimes even the registration. Registration and license renewal are the most common transactions, so most of the branch offices handle just them.

Quote:
4. Am I putting myself into some kind of potential legal jeopardy by doing/not doing any of the above? (I keep reading about some kind of time limit for moving here but I assume this is really only enforced were I to be pulled over, and there doesn't seem to be any official information about this on the BMV website, just that it should be done "as soon as possible") - keeping in mind I'll be buying a car (in OH) soon.
Not really. The basic rule is that, if you live here, you should be licensed here and your vehicle should be registered here. But, if you are getting situated and are planning on buying and titling a new vehicle within a couple of months, that is a perfect rationale to wait on the title. I would say that 6 months is about as long as you should wait, though. Otherwise, registration might be a bit of a hassle if you no longer have a residence out of state.

You can also get your license at any time. The testing is usually waived for US based drivers with out of state licenses in good standing.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:26 PM

96 posts, read 147,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by im_that_guy View Post
I just (well, a couple of months ago) recently moved to Ohio and am trying to figure out what all I need to do in order to "officially" become an Ohio resident.

I've registered to vote here and have switched the address on my auto insurance to Ohio (they sent me new Ohio insurance certificates). My drivers license and car title/registration are still out of state (Minnesota).

Questions I have:

1. I wouldn't bother with changing registration until you get the new car as long as you do it relatively soon. Latest I would wait? Six months from when you set up USPS forwarding -- after that if your old state sends you important mail about the car, it wont be forwarded anymore.

2. No. I'm currently in the process of switching over my car and currently have an OH license but my car is still licensed and titled in NC. If I didn't have a lien on the car, I could have switched them both over the same day, but I do have a lien. No extra obstacles, besides having to go to the DMV multiple times.

3. If you look at ODPS | BMV | Branch Office Locations, when you click on your county, locations with 3 *'s next to the location name can do everything on that one site. You might be able to get by with a location with 2 *'s if you are only switching license/title/plates from another state and not requiring a real drivers test, but I'm not positive.

4. No. I waited 70ish days to start my BMV switchover process and although I got a dirty look from the lady at the BMV, no penalties or issues.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:07 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,713,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl1023 View Post
In this day and age of identify theft they are only looking out for you.
So in WVA all I need is a photo copy of someone's birth certificate to get an ID? That's scary...

Old 10-25-2012, 09:42 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,860,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
So in WVA all I need is a photo copy of someone's birth certificate to get an ID? That's scary...
Wow good to know in case I ever need a fake ID.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:45 PM

372 posts, read 466,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
It's West Virginia... Wild and Wonderful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: