Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 02:08 AM

912 posts, read 1,734,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
I emailed about three of the rental units on Craigslist inquiring about the home/areas. Haven't got anything back yet.

Does anyone have anymore information on the North Heights area of Youngstown? I am finding property in our price range and I figure its probably a bad area, but how bad and for what reasons?
Quote:
Youngstown is sounding better and better. I like some of the revitalization efforts, the green building, and innovation in some of the places. We have found lots of affordable homes that even sparked us to apply for a first time home buyers loan lol! Never would I have thought Youngstown could be an answer for us. I didn't think owning a home could be a reality but it looks like its possible in Youngstown. WOW.

Any information on home rentals/sales in the urban Youngstown area would be appreciated.
North Heights is the far north side of the city, bordering Liberty (Gypsy Lane is the border). I'm not too familiar with it, but from what I've read there are some grassroots revitalizations taking place in the area. It's definitely not the most dangerous neighborhood in the city, but it's also not the safest.

The main reason it's so cheap is because the Youngstown City Schools are absolutely horrible, so no families want to move there. If schools are a major concern for you, you CANNOT live in the Youngstown city limits. I can't stress this enough. Refer to my previous post and look for homes that are in those "excellent" school districts. Some (like Canfield and Poland) are probably out of your price range, but a quick glace on the Howard Hanna website and I found plenty of 4+ bedroom homes in Boardman and other suburbs for under $100k.

Here are two of the largest realtors in the area:
Howard Hanna
Remax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 07:01 AM

737 posts, read 1,150,037 times
Quote:
Oh, nice lists thank you so much theYO.

Edit: I found a listing on Craigslist a minute ago for a huge home(only shows the exterior)6 bdr, 2 bth exct and it is in our price range. It is in the Northern Heights neighborhood of Youngstown, Ohio. Immediately I am intrigued that it is three stories tall with 6 bdrs and 2 bths. However I know nothing of the area, and it doesn't show any pictures of the interior.
You do realize that your gas and electric will be about $10,000 a year in that house. Those homes are too expensive to maintain. There is a reason the price is so low.

You have to forget about cities and think townships.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:28 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,864,680 times
What type of employment will you and your wife be seeking? That might help when deciding which area to look for a home to rent.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:38 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,346,075 times
Our budget is a very modest $600-700 a month for rent. It doesn't matter at this time what kind of employment for myself, I will take just about anything besides a salesmen job. Eventually I want to go back to school. My wife can not work right now because of the baby.

I'm looking at homes for sale on Zillow. Though we will probably be renting. I'm looking around the Sandusky/Huron area right now and the area is very high priced, with a few apartments scattered around which we don't want to live in an apartment again.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:59 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,943,486 times
I would rent a house in Warren before I would in Youngstown. Warren's schools aren't nearly as bad as Youngstown as long as your not on the west side. Look into Warren's northeast side and some parts of the southeast side (between e. market and rt 422), but ask us first if the area is safe before doing anything. Warren's Lincoln K-8 school is pretty good (i have a lot of friends whose kids go there) and Warren's high school offers much more than the suburbs for you kids if they are smart, but I wouldn't send them there if they are just average. You can always open enroll your kids to Howland, Lakeview, Champion, etc.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:10 AM

They wanted to move one of our daughters up a grade in Florida and Ohio. It never materialized but she has a lot of talent. She's already an artist at 6 years old and if we stay here we have been putting together a portfolio for her to enroll in a special school here for math, science and arts. She's very advanced for her age, but a pain in the butt too lol!

Yeah we can't make any sacrifice as far as schools go. I want them to flourish in the best creative learning environment possible.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:36 AM

If she's that gifted Warren would be good, but she would also do well in the surrounding schools. Look around and gather some info on what's for rent and then report back and we can help.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:46 AM

I'm taking break right now because I exhausted myself looking for a place the last couple of days. I will probably start looking again in a couple hours. The Youngstown area has the most affordable prices I have seen but other than affordable housing, there really isn't a reason I can see to relocate our family to there. So I'm just taking in the things I have found online right now.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:54 AM

Good luck. Remember the Youngstown/Warren/Boardman area is roughly and hour give or take from Akron, Cleveland and Pittsburgh.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:49 PM

555 posts, read 893,511 times
I don't know what kind of work you've been doing, but the auto industry in the Toledo area seems to be coming back, and the university has had several openings for skilled maintenance workers. Quite a few neighborhoods here are relatively inexpensive and safe. A mobile home community in a nearby small town is also offering remodelers free rent. Handyman Homes !! FREE Rent !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio