Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 02:11 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,687,119 times

Advertisements

Hot-Ads Lisbon, OH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 02:16 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,934,506 times
You might be able to find a nice house rental in Howland Township or in Warren City, but Howland Schools. There are usually affordable apartments all over the area. A lot of people rent out condos in Cortland/Bazetta Township. Here are some rentals:

Here are some reasonable house rentals Hot-Ads Warren, OH

Condos: Hot-Ads Warren, OH

Apartments Hot-Ads Warren, OH

If you have any questions about particular neighborhoods just ask.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:21 PM

18 posts, read 32,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
Like I said, renting houses in the area is relatively uncommon, so I don't really know realtors with rental listings. Howard Hanna is one of the largest realtors in the area, so if anyone has rentals, it'd be them. Honestly, try Craigslist. I just moved to Pittsburgh in June, and that's how we found our apartment.

You should be able to get your utilities set up online before you move in. That's what we did before coming to Pittsburgh.

what suburbs are in the diff areas of Youngstown (north south east west)? I see listings on craigslist that say youngstown north side etc, but doesnt list the suburb name. What area do u suggest?

Old 01-13-2013, 02:26 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,934,506 times
That's because Youngstown northside is in the city. Suburbs south are Poland, Boardman, Canfield, New Middletown, Springfield Township, and more.

I'm more familiar with the area north of the city. Depending one what type of town you are looking for there are small towns, suburban areas and more densely populated old cities that are more walkable that some suburban areas. Cortland, Howland Township, Champion Township, Niles, Girard, McDonald, Vienna, Fowler, Liberty Township, Mineral Ridge, Austintown and lots of more rural areas.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Like I said, renting houses in the area is relatively uncommon, so I don't really know realtors with rental listings. Howard Hanna is one of the largest realtors in the area, so if anyone has rentals, it'd be them. Honestly, try Craigslist. I just moved to Pittsburgh in June, and that's how we found our apartment.

You should be able to get your utilities set up online before you move in. That's what we did before coming to Pittsburgh.

On craiglist i see some listings for north side south side etc, but it doesnt list the suburb name on those posts. Which suburbs are on what "side of town" of Youngstown? which side of town do u recommend?

Old 01-13-2013, 02:58 PM

912 posts, read 1,732,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawnbailey View Post
what suburbs are in the diff areas of Youngstown (north south east west)? I see listings on craigslist that say youngstown north side etc, but doesnt list the suburb name. What area do u suggest?
Those listing are in Youngstown city limits. If a listing says it's on a "side" then it is in the actual city of Youngstown, and thus not a place you want to be with children.

Here's a map of Mahoning County, the county that Youngstown is in:

Boardman (just to the south of Youngstown) and Austintown (just to the west of Youngstown) are the two largest suburbs. They have the most amenities in the area. Austintown has good schools, Boardman has great schools. To the west of Boardman is Canfield and to the east of Boardman is Poland. These are easily the most affluent suburbs in the area. They are smaller than Boardman, but still have a decent amount of amenities. Both have excellent schools as well. They are generally considered the most desirable areas, so they cost the most, but still very affordable compared to other parts of the country.

Everything else (basically the entire southern and western parts of the county) is pretty rural. Good schools, a lot smaller than Boardman and Austintown and even smaller than Canfield and Poland schools. Not too many amenities of their own, so you'd be driving to one of the larger suburbs for a lot of things.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:05 PM

Thanks again for the great info! I didnt mean to say the same thing twice lol i didnt think the first comment posted.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:07 PM

912 posts, read 1,732,494 times
Here's a list I made for another poster on here with all the "Excellent" rated school districts in the area. Look for a place in one of these school districts. These schools range from large to small and everything in between. The towns they are in are also all different sizes and range from affluent to middle class suburbs and rural communities as well.

Mahoning County (Youngstown's county):
Austintown
Boardman
Campbell
Canfield
Jackson-Milton
Lowellville
Poland
Springfield
West Branch
Western Reserve

Other's like Sebring, South Range and Struthers were rated "effective", the 2nd-highest rating. Just avoid Youngstown city schools.

Trumbull County (north of Youngstown, stay away from Warren city schools):
Bloomfield-Mespo
Champion
Girard
Howland
Hubbard
Joseph Badger
LaBrae
Lakeview
Liberty
Lordstown
Maplewood
Mathews
McDonald
Newton Falls
Weathersfield
All of the rest (not including Warren city) are rated "effective".

Columbiana County (south of Youngstown, mostly rural):
Columbiana
Leetonia
Lisbon
Southern
United
Wellsville

Last edited by TheYO; 01-13-2013 at 03:38 PM..

Old 01-13-2013, 03:17 PM

Wow! This helps alot! Its hard not knowing the area. And ive done alot of online research a d didnt see half of the great info u have provided me!

Old 01-13-2013, 03:28 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
Quote:
Here's a list I made for another poster on here with all the "Excellent" rated school districts in the area. Look for a place in one of these school districts. These schools range from large to small and everything in between. The towns they are in are also all different sizes and range from affluent to middle class suburbs and rural communities as well.
Links will take you to the state report card for the school district.

Mahoning County (Youngstown's county):
Boardman
Canfield
Jackson-Milton
Lowellville
Poland
South Range
Springfield
West Branch
Western Reserve
The others in Mahoning county (like Austintown and Struthers) are rated "effective" the 2nd highest ranking.

Trumbull County (north of Youngstown, stay away from Warren city schools):
Bloomfield-Mespo
Bristol
Champion
Howland
Hubbard
Joseph Badger
Lakeview
Lordstown
Maplewood
Mathews
McDonald
Newton Falls
All of the rest (not including Warren city) are rated "effective".

Columbiana County (south of Youngstown, mostly rural):
Beaver
Columbiana
Crestview
Lisbon
Salem
United
Where are you getting this info? I think it may be out of date, as I remember reading recently that Austintown has been rated Excellent with distinction.

Here is a search tool for Ohio schools: 2012 Ohio school report cards (searchable database) | cleveland.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio