Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 03:40 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,858,304 times

Advertisements

I received a rather generous finaid package from OSU and instate tuition to boot! Combined with the GI Bill I wouldn't even really need a part time job while going back to school full time(though I might still get one just to relieve boredom), plus the housing allowance I'll get from the post 9/11 goes A LOT further in Ohio than it would in SoCal, even if the amount is significantly higher for attending a college in LA. It was a deal I couldn't resist, so yeah I'll be heading to Columbus this fall.

I haven't seen the rest of the state yet, I figure I would take driving trip or two to Cleveland and Cincinnati on the weekends.

Last edited by Spudcommando; 06-08-2013 at 03:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 05:08 PM

2 posts, read 4,603 times
I am born native of Chicago and want to move any day so many things to consider before moving. My Dad has been down in Columbus Ohio for about 20 yrs. if not 1-3 yrs. shot of 20 yrs. I do not where to start on just making the move; definitely need and want to have a job i believe getting a place to stay is easy #lost and ready to go

Old 06-22-2013, 05:13 PM

2 posts, read 4,603 times
I am born native of Chicago and want to move any day so many things to consider before moving. My Dad has been in Columbus Ohio for about almost 20 yrs. I do not where to start on just making the move; definitely need and want a job....help me someone #lost and ready to go

Old 06-22-2013, 06:30 PM

14,734 posts, read 14,717,433 times
Can you stay with your father while you look for a job?

Old 06-24-2013, 07:56 AM

18 posts, read 32,801 times
We just got back from a trip to ohio to home hunt. And we decided on whitehall a suburb of columbus so that my husband can find a job. The city is beautiful. I fell in love w Ashland (we checked there and mansfield too). But it didnt seem like much for jobs unless u travel a far distance. After we learn the area and surrounding areas, we will then know for sure what area we want to buy a house in. Any feedback about white hall?

Old 07-07-2013, 12:56 PM

4 posts, read 8,472 times
I'm not planning a current move, but I'm more than curious. I've lived in NYC all of my life and I've grown really tired of it. Every so often I toy with the idea of making a move, and for some reason, the suburbs of Youngstown have always come up. Boardman, Canfield, Austintown, etc. I really "feel" them. Next month I'm going to take a trip out there and see what kind of vibe I get; see if it's for me. The high maintenance, snooty, crazy cost of living way of life of this city has really sucked the happy out of me. I'm thinking something a little more simple and down to earth might really suit me well.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:49 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,913,993 times
^ How did the suburbs of Youngstown, of all places in the US, even register as somewhere to consider (for any reason, not just as somewhere to move)?

As an Ohio native currently living near you, I can sympathize with your complaints.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:09 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,652,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
^ How did the suburbs of Youngstown, of all places in the US, even register as somewhere to consider (for any reason, not just as somewhere to move)?

I wondered the same thing about the University of Dayton - why does this place register with so many New Yorkers?

Old 07-07-2013, 04:03 PM

4 posts, read 8,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post

As an Ohio native currently living near you, I can sympathize with your complaints.
LOL It's kind of a long story, and being Italian, "shut up!" are 2 words not in my vocabulary.

but as a place to move to, I want to be within driving distance of my home, which I don't plan on selling. I eliminated NY because well, that's where I'm trying to escape from!, and I don't like it upstate either. NJ is nice but you get what you pay for, meaning if it's affordable, you might be living next to a crystal meth lab. Delaware just isn't "different" enough for me - a lot of NJ transplants there. Maryland is nice and there are areas very much my speed, but the value isn't as good as Ohio. I've researched Ohio on and off for about a year now - first in the Canton/Akron suburbs area, which I thought might be a little TOO slow for me. Everything that I come across about the Youngstown area is to kind of stay away from the city, but the burbs aren't all that bad. And in return for me giving up a little of my safety concerns where our local police precinct is referred to as 'the country club', you get terrific value in rental and living expenses. The proximity to NYC is the only reason why I don't want to stray too far from the eastern end of Ohio.

You can also say good morning to someone without expecting to get hit in the face, and I hear people even hold doors open for you when you leave this city!

Many of us New Yorkers are very funny because we're so self absorbed and don't realize that the world doesn't revolve around us. And when we discover that when you drive just a few hours away that our $700,000 homes are now less than half, with 5x the land, and people are actually pleasant and you don't go to jail for putting salt on your food and electric bills don't cost 3 zillion dollars a month and on and on and on, people start to think like me and wonder "what the hell am I still doing here?"

I've also had very nice experiences with Ohioans in my life.
And I get lots of strange signs that keep pointing me in that direction. That's why I'm finally going to see for myself what it's like and if it would be a good fit for me someday. And while I'm roaming around the area aimlessly I do intend on consuming A LOT of Handel's ice cream! That has me more excited than anything! lol

Old 07-07-2013, 09:13 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,956,730 times
Handel's Ice Cream is a really good reason! Yes, Youngstown/Warren's suburbs are very nice for the most part and safe, yet affordable. I know there are several ex-New Yorkers here that I've heard of. I had a professor in college that knew some retired NYC cops that retired to Youngstown (yes, they retired to the city). Then I met a couple and their elderly mother that retired to Mineral Ridge from Brooklyn. I also came across a lady at my previous job that moved to Struthers from Connecticut based on research on the internet and she loves it here. We have great highway access and are close enough to Cleveland and Pittsburgh if you need a little more culture than Ytown can offer. I see you're Italian, so you will feel right at home! Our pizza is good too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio