Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 10:26 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,029,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
The difference is that Columbus posters on these forums don't constantly post about how you MUST include those cities in its tallies. I don't think that I've ever read one post to that effect. Is there that much of an inferiority complex in the Cleve and Cincy?...
Apparently, you really don't understand why you keep hearing about either "NEO" or "CIN-DAY."

First: both Cleveland and Cincinnati are inter-connected to sizable "satellite-cities" in ways that Columbus isn't and will never be; second: neither Cleveland nor Cincinnati feel "inferior" to Columbus, other than they aren't able to host one of the nation's largest, state-supported mega-universities nor feed off their state's public tax-payer trough as does Columbus; and third: neither Cleveland nor Cincinnati have relied on annexation as has Columbus to boost their city's "populations" and status in the public eye--so naturally, they're going to remind outsiders of both their own formidable MSA-stats and exhibit all those nasty, highly-relevant, night-time satellite-photos reminding everyone in Columbus of what actually is.

Columbus has progressed in many ways and become a vibrant metro and a city of recognition. Some time ago it broke away from its long-standing, bland cowtown/"Hopalong" Cassady/Woody Hayes image, but now it needs to do much more than that. As Cleveland and Cincinnati have already done, well over a century ago, Columbus needs to establish its own unique cultural heritage and quit relying upon OSU, state-government, and the governor to wing it into the future. Otherwise, both Columbus and Indianapolis, its I-70 prairie-counterpart, will share remarkably similar fates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 10:27 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,379,439 times
Jbc, you are correct. But stii falls short of the cleve and cincy freeway systems.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:31 AM

Jbc, you are correct. But columbus still falls short of the cleve and cincy freeway systems.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:02 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,091,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
Jbc, you are correct. But stii falls short of the cleve and cincy freeway systems.
Even if that were true, I would consider that a positive.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:53 PM

11,076 posts, read 12,477,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Even if that were true, I would consider that a positive.
Was gonna say the same thing.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:24 PM

Columbus Recognized as Top City for Equality by the Human Rights Campaign

This doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the topic, but I'm not sure where else to put it. Columbus had a perfect score. Cincinnati was 2nd, Cleveland 3rd in Ohio.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:43 PM

JBC,BJ of course you do. but its true. and IF Columbus were to ever reach the same levels of cincy or Cleveland, ( in terms of developed/urban/suburban sq. miles), Columbus would have to build more freeways like the other 2 C's did. especially since Columbus is sorely lacking public transit or any type of light rail. which is another "level" Columbus is lagging far behind Cleveland and cincy on. I agree with motormans post above, especially his point about those night-time satalite images of ohio. they show how truly small Columbus metro really is, even after all the huge growth she has experienced over the past 30yrs. <jbc and bj

Old 11-19-2013, 04:04 PM

11,076 posts, read 12,477,835 times
Quote:
JBC,BJ of course you do. but its true. and IF Columbus were to ever reach the same levels of cincy or Cleveland, ( in terms of developed/urban/suburban sq. miles), Columbus would have to build more freeways like the other 2 C's did. especially since Columbus is sorely lacking public transit or any type of light rail. which is another "level" Columbus is lagging far behind Cleveland and cincy on. I agree with motormans post above, especially his point about those night-time satalite images of ohio. they show how truly small Columbus metro really is, even after all the huge growth she has experienced over the past 30yrs. <jbc and bj
Bro, I'm a native Clevelander. I actually agree with you about a lot you're saying kinda. But you're just a horrible spokesman for my native and favorite city. You and motorman should start a club for being terrible representatives.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:23 PM

^(the "bro" is native). your saying you don't even live in Cleveland or ohio anymore? geeeezz. now us "clevelanders or ohioans" are going to have to take your comments about our state/cities with a grain of salt? what about you jbc, are you "native" also or don't you live in ohio either? because I was really hoping we could all get back on the OP's topic of how Columbus is lacking behind Cleveland and cincy on many levels.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "developed" square miles. The Urban Area of Columbus, meaning continuous development, is the most dense of any of the 3-Cs and is 3rd in the Midwest. The overall city density will pass up Cincinnati likely this year or next year, and it's closing on Cleveland. Columbus is unfairly stereotyped in this regard constantly.

The last thing Columbus needs is more highways. It DOES need public transit beyond buses, but that will come. If the Chicago-Columbus HSR line gets built, I do think that will be a good test.

NEO and Cin-Day are still just dreams by a few people and not reality. I've said this before, but the constant focus on satellite cities reminds me of the '80s shoulder pad fad. Stuffing doesn't make you better. It makes you look desperate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio