Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 03:28 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,092,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
^ ok, so lets just admit columbus is not on the same level ? (those lights do not lie) . otherwise convince us with things we dont know about columbus.
The lights tell us only one thing: That Columbus has a smaller developed footprint. That's it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 04:21 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,030,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
A post so nice you had to respond to it twice?

I really don't understand your circular logic. Let me draw you a map.

Me: Cleveland has declined more than any other large city in the country save St. Louis and Detroit. Cincinnati is no slouch either.

You: But NEO and CIN-DAY!!!

Me: Akron has also declined substantially and so has Dayton.

You: But look at the night lights!!

Me: So miles of sparse suburb somehow make Cleveland and Cincinnati better than Columbus?

You: NEO and CIN-DAY!

Me: Don't you guys complain that Columbus isn't a real city because of those miles of suburb?

And scene.
...so, in this bemusing cat-'n-mouse, spy-vs-spy, whack-a-mole "3-C Smack Down," we're now resorting to courtroom dramatics and script writing to counter satellite surveillance and circular logic? Okay--I'll play along!

New game: "Match Point" (tennis-related, simple and direct, and meant to stir the pot even more)

SERVE:
"Both CLEVE/Akron and CINCY/Dayton are nothing less than two dying city-combos, each connected by only a sprawl of nondescript exburbs..."

RETURN: "CBUS is nothing more than an intermingling of thriving and decrepit suburbs, all begging for something that resembles a vital central core."

Game over. Pretty unfair in both assessments, but, then, just remember that it's showtime, folks and that we all love entertainment...

Last edited by motorman; 11-30-2013 at 05:48 AM..

Old 11-30-2013, 09:09 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,379,710 times
im still waiting to hear from people in Columbus that can promote things that Columbus has that puts its closer to cleve and cincy levels. regarding op's original question. we all agree Columbus infrastructure, public transportation, lack of pro sports, lack of orchestra, museums, broadway plays/theatre district, city land-locked, lack of identity, etc., put Columbus on a lower level.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
im still waiting to hear from people in Columbus that can promote things that Columbus has that puts its closer to cleve and cincy levels. regarding op's original question. we all agree Columbus infrastructure, public transportation, lack of pro sports, lack of orchestra, museums, broadway plays/theatre district, city land-locked, lack of identity, etc., put Columbus on a lower level.
No, I'm pretty sure we don't all agree with all of those. The only ones I would agree with is the lack more mass transit beyond buses (Does Cincinnati have anything other than buses, yet? Their streetcar is up in the air.), and a fewer cultural amenities such as museums. Infrastructure, sports, identity, etc. I definitely disagree with. It has an orchestra. Land-locked doesn't mean as much in 2013.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:59 AM

Jbc, so what do you think columbus has that puts it on the same level as cleve and cincy?

Old 12-01-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Jbc, so what do you think columbus has that puts it on the same level as cleve and cincy?
Economy, density, diversity, population growth, etc. It's still a maturing city that has not peaked and shows no signs of doing so anytime soon, so whatever it may lack culturally will come over time.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:27 AM

^ I dont think these things put it on the same level. Columbus and franklin less dense. But it doesnt put a city on different level. As for diversity, I think columbus has a growing mexicam population ,but other than that. It still lacks behind other cities. if it had more pro sports or a global institution like cleve clinic or world renowned orchestra I think those are things that would start to put it on that next level.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:54 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,030,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
I GIVE UP! Not only did you sidestep the entire issue of misuse of tax-$$ within Columbus (and the larger issue of political and business corruption throughout the city), but now you've employed the very link I supplied (demonstrating, all too well, that's something's dreadfully wrong) and literally spun it into an absolutely delightful PR "Cbus Success Story." (Smooth move, my man, smooth move!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
No man, I'm really confused on how you think taxes were misused here. If anything, they show that, out of the 3-Cs, Franklin County used its given state taxes the most responsibly. If I am somehow twisting the data, I'm at a loss to understand how and would love the details on your perspective...
As you wish. This article and its related links detail the wholesale, far ranging corruption of "JobsOhio," Kasich's lucrative slush-fund/cash-cow, and Columbus' powerful taxpayer-supported economic driver. Needless to say, there are at least a dozen more links describing this secretive conduit of cash and influence, but these articles only repeat what's already been stated--ie, "what's there not to like about doing business in Cbus"? Enjoy.

JobsOhio Numbers Down On Every Single Metric In Q3 2013

Old 12-03-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
^ I dont think these things put it on the same level. Columbus and franklin less dense. But it doesnt put a city on different level. As for diversity, I think columbus has a growing mexicam population ,but other than that. It still lacks behind other cities. if it had more pro sports or a global institution like cleve clinic or world renowned orchestra I think those are things that would start to put it on that next level.
Columbus will be the 2nd most dense out the 3-Cs either this year or next, passing Cincinnati (Columbus was at 3,728.4 vs. Cincy's 3,807.1 in 2012). This is a fact, not an opinion. So if Columbus isn't dense, neither is Cincinnati. Looking further into the future, Columbus just has to maintain its present growth and it will catch up to Cleveland as well, likely not long after the next census in 2020. Cleveland's 2012 density was 5,031.2. Franklin County is already the 2nd most dense, above Hamilton, but below Cuyahoga. Again, based on growth, that's a situation that will change sooner than later.

I disagree that it doesn't help put a city at a different level. A denser city means more overall vibrancy. Any major city has a lot of street-level activity, and that's caused by density. This helps create more demand for street-level retail and other amenities as well.

It has more than just a growing Mexican population. Every racial group increased, as did most ethnic groups. It's foreign-born population has grown to the highest level of any city in the state, easily.

It has 2 pro sports. Whether or not it gets more remains to be seen over time. Same thing with other amenities it may lack. It just has to keep growing.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
As you wish. This article and its related links detail the wholesale, far ranging corruption of "JobsOhio," Kasich's lucrative slush-fund/cash-cow, and Columbus' powerful taxpayer-supported economic driver. Needless to say, there are at least a dozen more links describing this secretive conduit of cash and influence, but these articles only repeat what's already been stated--ie, "what's there not to like about doing business in Cbus"? Enjoy.

JobsOhio Numbers Down On Every Single Metric In Q3 2013
This is something totally different than what was provided in the link before. This is about a state organization doing a crappy (and likely corrupt) job at creating jobs and economic prospects for Ohio overall. Your earlier link shows that the amount of tax money given to Columbus for job creation did, in fact, create more jobs at a lower cost per job. So if you're equating job tax subsidies with corruption, why exactly would they cost LESS in Columbus? Shouldn't they cost more, indicating less efficiency?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio