Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 06:50 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,946,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac51 View Post
Are you really comparing the Ohio River to the Cuyahoga Creek?
The bottom line is Cincinnati has done much more with their waterfront than Cleveland has. When you think about it, Cleveland has one of the worst waterfronts, which obviously includes Lake Erie, in the country!! After all, there is an airport that gets 3 flights a day, 2 trashy-a$$ state parks, and a bunch of pollution causing facilities at the mouth of the Cuyahoga Creek. And while the stadium is OK, the team that plays in it is the laughing stock of the NFL!!
I didn't realize Cincinnati has beaches on its riverfront and that the river is utilized for swimming off
''The Banks''. Maybe Cinci can add ''The Beach'' or the ''The Sands'' to make the insta-district ''The Banks'' an even more contrived area.

My comment was about swimming in the river and you, for some reason, made it a ''size'' comparison. Of course the Ohio is a larger river. Total ski-jump over your head. I didn't think it needed to be explained since I used the term ''swimming''. You, of course, needed to turn it into something else completely.

What are the pollution causing facilities at the mouth of the Cuyahoga?

Regardless, sticking to the theme of this thread, Cleveland won a political convention. Guess the RNC disregarded Cleveland's horrible lakefront and polluted river. Despite da'Nati's much more advanced ''waterfront'', it was eliminated in Round 1. Columbus waterfront...forgetta 'bout it...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 08:05 PM

324 posts, read 402,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
They aren't state parks any longer. Freed from the control of the inept Republicans and turned over to the acclaimed Cuyahoga Metro Parks, they now receive rave reviews. Of course, Cuyahoga County, with over 10 percent of the state's population, no longer has any state parks. Ridiculous.

Edgewater Park - Cleveland - Reviews of Edgewater Park - TripAdvisor

The rest of your comments are equally ignorant (nothing new there).

E.g., what downtown area anywhere in the country has anything like the Cleveland National Air Show?
Well then they are by far the worst of the Metroparks system!!

So what telling is that the lakefront is only good for 3 or 4 days per year? What about the rest of the year? The fact of the matter is that Cleveland has one of the worst major-city waterfronts in the country. Other than the stadium and the 2 museums at the end of E 9th St, there is very little. Where are the restaurants and residences? Where's the entertainment along the lakefront? (Sorry, the Clowns aren't entertaining.) The bottom line is that Cleveland's lakefront is largely like the rest of the city; old, rundown and decrepit!!!

Old 02-17-2015, 08:23 PM

324 posts, read 402,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
I didn't realize Cincinnati has beaches on its riverfront and that the river is utilized for swimming off
''The Banks''. Maybe Cinci can add ''The Beach'' or the ''The Sands'' to make the insta-district ''The Banks'' an even more contrived area.

My comment was about swimming in the river and you, for some reason, made it a ''size'' comparison. Of course the Ohio is a larger river. Total ski-jump over your head. I didn't think it needed to be explained since I used the term ''swimming''. You, of course, needed to turn it into something else completely.

What are the pollution causing facilities at the mouth of the Cuyahoga?

Regardless, sticking to the theme of this thread, Cleveland won a political convention. Guess the RNC disregarded Cleveland's horrible lakefront and polluted river. Despite da'Nati's much more advanced ''waterfront'', it was eliminated in Round 1. Columbus waterfront...forgetta 'bout it...lol
Are you going to sit here and brag about Cleveland's beaches? Really? You mean those beaches with all of those hotels, condos and restaurants? Those beaches that attract visitors from all over the country? And remember, you were the one who brought up the Ohio River and Cincinnati, not me. And anyone who has been to Cincinnati and Cleveland knows that Cincy has a much more attractive waterfront than Cleveland does. The Cuyahoga Creek's riverfront can't compare to Cincy's and and we all know Cleveland's lakefront is a joke!!!

Old 02-17-2015, 08:50 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,946,746 times
Quote:
Are you going to sit here and brag about Cleveland's beaches? Really? You mean those beaches with all of those hotels, condos and restaurants? Those beaches that attract visitors from all over the country? And remember, you were the one who brought up the Ohio River and Cincinnati, not me. And anyone who has been to Cincinnati and Cleveland knows that Cincy has a much more attractive waterfront than Cleveland does. The Cuyahoga Creek's riverfront can't compare to Cincy's and and we all know Cleveland's lakefront is a joke!!!
Um, again, did you read anything about Cleveland's beaches in the post you responded to?

Regardless, as crappy as you think Cleveland's beaches are, at least there are some. The Metroparks is reviving the city beaches, so stay tuned. Cleveland is connecting to its lakefront. No one visits Cleveland from around the country for its beaches.

Again, you need to twist and turn things. I brought up the Ohio River along with even larger U.S. rivers noted for pollution issues to counter your ''swimming in the Cuyahoga River'' comment.

Lots of dirty rivers in the U.S. that, because of the Cuyahoga River, have been cleaned-up.

So, you're welcome America.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:13 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,446,525 times
Quote:
Well then they are by far the worst of the Metroparks system!!

So what telling is that the lakefront is only good for 3 or 4 days per year? What about the rest of the year? The fact of the matter is that Cleveland has one of the worst major-city waterfronts in the country. Other than the stadium and the 2 museums at the end of E 9th St, there is very little. Where are the restaurants and residences? Where's the entertainment along the lakefront? (Sorry, the Clowns aren't entertaining.) The bottom line is that Cleveland's lakefront is largely like the rest of the city; old, rundown and decrepit!!!
You know nothing about Edgewater as you didn't even know that Cleveland's lakefront state parks no longer were state parks. Read the reviews that I linked and learn something.

You obviously know nothing about the U.S.S. Cod, Steamship Mather, and Voinovich BiCentennial Park. Have you ever been to Wendy Park?

There are thousands of condos and apartments on Lake Erie east and west of downtown.

However, here's a fact to stick in your little mind. Unlike Cincinnati, Cleveland has a river, with condos, entertainment districts, mixed use developments, AND a lakefront. As Kamms has noted, raising your ire, Cincinnati is a boring city by comparison to Cleveland, which has been recognized as a top destination by publication after publication just within the past year, in addition to being picked to host a national political convention.

http://www.clevescene.com/cleveland/...nt?oid=4491124

You'll never see a tall ship festival in Cincinnati. Seeing a frozen Lake Erie, often with amazing ice formations, or summer sunsets over the lake, trumps anything that the Ohio River delivers to viewers. Watching lake freighters navigate the Cuyahoga River is a great memory for visitors.

Cleveland also has one of the most advanced sewer systems in the U.S., able to capture all but the very largest storms for treatment, contrary to your long litany of false statements about Cleveland.

Just wanted some person unfamiliar with Cleveland to understand your lack of credibility.

Last edited by WRnative; 02-17-2015 at 11:28 PM..

Old 02-18-2015, 11:55 AM

506 posts, read 427,050 times
Quote:
You know nothing about Edgewater as you didn't even know that Cleveland's lakefront state parks no longer were state parks. Read the reviews that I linked and learn something.

You obviously know nothing about the U.S.S. Cod, Steamship Mather, and Voinovich BiCentennial Park. Have you ever been to Wendy Park?

There are thousands of condos and apartments on Lake Erie east and west of downtown.

However, here's a fact to stick in your little mind. Unlike Cincinnati, Cleveland has a river, with condos, entertainment districts, mixed use developments, AND a lakefront. As Kamms has noted, raising your ire, Cincinnati is a boring city by comparison to Cleveland, which has been recognized as a top destination by publication after publication just within the past year, in addition to being picked to host a national political convention.

http://www.clevescene.com/cleveland/...nt?oid=4491124

You'll never see a tall ship festival in Cincinnati. Seeing a frozen Lake Erie, often with amazing ice formations, or summer sunsets over the lake, trumps anything that the Ohio River delivers to viewers. Watching lake freighters navigate the Cuyahoga River is a great memory for visitors.

Cleveland also has one of the most advanced sewer systems in the U.S., able to capture all but the very largest storms for treatment, contrary to your long litany of false statements about Cleveland.

Just wanted some person unfamiliar with Cleveland to understand your lack of credibility.
Even though, over the last ten years 100,000 people have left Cleveland , with great tourist attractions like 2207 Seymour Avenue and 12205 Imperial Avenue, it certainly seems like it is a city on the rise.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:03 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times
the only people that make any money from political conventions are the hookers and they generally leave and spend their money elsewhere

Old 02-18-2015, 05:43 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,446,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrasshat View Post
Even though, over the last ten years 100,000 people have left Cleveland , with great tourist attractions like 2207 Seymour Avenue and 12205 Imperial Avenue, it certainly seems like it is a city on the rise.
Quite honestly, what has killed Cleveland aren't the city's amenities, which are much more spectacular than 30-40 years ago, but horrific national policies which have crippled the U.S. manufacturing industries which were a mainstay of the northern Ohio economy, and other Ohio communities such as Springfield and Mansfield. Remembering Springfield when I was a kid, and seeing it today, is sickening.

Much of the migration out of Cleveland proper in past decades has been to outer ring suburbs. E.g., look at the change in the population of just Mentor and Solon since 1960.

Mentor, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Solon, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The population of the combined statistical area is almost unchanged since 1960.

Greater Cleveland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Columbus has benefited from being the state capital and a retail center, greatly due to Les Wexner, who arguably has been as important to Columbus as Henry Ford was to Detroit. Both of these advantages may turn into deadweights in coming decades.

Meanwhile, Cleveland now is a hot bed of medical innovation. Read some of the threads that detail this trend in the Cleveland forum.

BTW, the Republicans in Indiana and Ohio have twisted the knife in the northern Ohio manufacturing economy by creating the Republican Toll Road with unfathomable tolls while the I-70 corridor remains toll-less. The toll for a truck from Akron to Chicago on I-80/I-90 now is over $75.

This Republican Toll Road actually is very bad for all of Ohio, but that's a topic for another thread.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:19 PM

416 posts, read 701,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgrasshat View Post
Really? You say stuff like that? How sick are you to bring up something like that? Great tourist attractions. You are so messed up for even saying something like that. You literally know nothing about Cleveland and its amenities. Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Columbus are all great cities, and I would take anyone of them 7 days a week over anything in that cesspool, Florida. When I lived there I would hear the most messed up stories of sick, disgusting people. Interesting drivers every morning on my ride through Levy County and all the drug abusers along 24 trying to make it back into town on the dirt roads where poverty abounds. The iceberg is a big one in Florida, and even though their problems are made nationally all the time, that is just the tip of it all.

Quote:
Quite honestly, what has killed Cleveland aren't the city's amenities, which are much more spectacular than 30-40 years ago, but horrific national policies which have crippled the U.S. manufacturing industries which were a mainstay of the northern Ohio economy, and other Ohio communities such as Springfield and Mansfield. Remembering Springfield when I was a kid, and seeing it today, is sickening.

Much of the migration out of Cleveland proper in past decades has been to outer ring suburbs. E.g., look at the change in the population of just Mentor and Solon since 1960.

Mentor, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Solon, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The population of the combined statistical area is almost unchanged since 1960.

Greater Cleveland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Columbus has benefited from being the state capital and a retail center, greatly due to Les Wexner, who arguably has been as important to Columbus as Henry Ford was to Detroit. Both of these advantages may turn into deadweights in coming decades.

Meanwhile, Cleveland now is a hot bed of medical innovation. Read some of the threads that detail this trend in the Cleveland forum.

BTW, the Republicans in Indiana and Ohio have twisted the knife in the northern Ohio manufacturing economy by creating the Republican Toll Road with unfathomable tolls while the I-70 corridor remains toll-less. The toll for a truck from Akron to Chicago on I-80/I-90 now is over $75.

This Republican Toll Road actually is very bad for all of Ohio, but that's a topic for another thread.
I am one of those that would love to see NE Ohio break off into its own state. Kasich's Turnpike funds to go toward 75 construction projects in SW Ohio was BS. I forgot that Cincinnati drivers drive the Turnpike daily and contribute to its funding...

Old 02-18-2015, 06:41 PM

416 posts, read 701,582 times
Quote:
Are you really comparing the Ohio River to the Cuyahoga Creek?
The bottom line is Cincinnati has done much more with their waterfront than Cleveland has. When you think about it, Cleveland has one of the worst waterfronts, which obviously includes Lake Erie, in the country!! After all, there is an airport that gets 3 flights a day, 2 trashy-a$$ state parks, and a bunch of pollution causing facilities at the mouth of the Cuyahoga Creek. And while the stadium is OK, the team that plays in it is the laughing stock of the NFL!!
Yes, the Bungles are such a great football team. They are a joke, too. If you were actually coming from a city where their NFL team actually went somewhere, then we could talk. The Bungles are the same story year in and year out.

Cleveland's lakefront is much more than what is right by downtown, and even then, what is near downtown Cincinnati on its waterfront is nothing to rave about. The Banks has by far the most pathetic architecture for its "front yard" to the city. It looks just as bad as Pittsburgh's North Shore, surrounded by parking lots and suburban architecture. Holy cheap! Not to mention just to the west of PBS you have freeway interchanges, lots full of disjointed industry. It's like the parks along the river just stop. I actually see hundreds during the summer months on a nice day swimming at Cleveland's parks, not so many in the river in Cincinnati. Didn't some chemical spill in West Virginia last year where Cincinnati had to turn off their water supply? Cleveland at least has good museums, Voinovich Park, and the new marina near downtown. It certainly has a much better feel to it in the spring, summer, and fall months versus Cincinnati's riverfront. I really hope Smale Park builds that marina on the shore there by GABP. I really like the new marina and the access to the pier and North Coast Harbor in Cleveland, especially during Rock Hall events and gamedays. I fully enjoy Edgewater Park and the beautiful Edgewater neighborhood and the lake views and sailboats out on the water from the bluffs. You get those views all the time in Cincinnati... Standing out on the Cleveland Lakefront Preserve you feel like you aren't even in the city. No mad-made structures around, and great lake and city views.

I like Cincinnati, but if you can't ignore the one Cleveland poster who just doesn't want to stop having the last word (even when the discussion is clearly over) then that is your problem. But when you bash Cleveland in spite of this poster, then you are just going to bring in others. I will stick up for Cincinnati and Columbus too, but it seems like people are bashing Cleveland because of the one poster.

I don't mind discussions like this because other states have them too. If you think we are bad, visit Texas and North Carolina where they have versus threads that have gone on for over 12,000 replies. But as long as it stays civil, the discussions can be quite interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio