Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2015, 04:03 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,391,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Again, when you don't have the facts, turn to nonsensical, personal insults. How could anybody intimately familiar with Cleveland have a "Cleveland Inferiority Complex" in any discussion of the merits of Cleveland versus Columbus? That's almost as humorous as talking about a "New York City Inferiority Complex" when talking about a Big Apple native's feelings of his city versus Buffalo, Columbus, Cleveland, or even Chicago! LOL! I would need to see a doctor if I claimed to be all-knowing about Cleveland and yet somehow felt it was an imperative to falsely diminish it versus Columbus (hint! hint!).

Facts: Columbus has no franchises for the top 3 major sports. It has no world-class, let alone national-class cultural institutions. It doesn't have a major international tourist attraction such as the Rock Hall. And, as noted in post 410, the long list goes on, and on, and on.

Are Chicago and DC more superior to Columbus than Cleveland. Sure, but so what? The superiority of Cleveland and Cincinnati to Columbus is significant and contrary to your vitriol, the differences are especially tangible and meaningful for residents of those cities, not only tourists.

E.g., anybody who has visited both the Cleveland Museum of Art and the Columbus Museum of Art, would quickly understand the difference between Cleveland and Columbus, regardless of how you would describe it. Anybody that knows anything about both cities could produce a long list of similar comparisons.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinions, but not to their own facts.

Anybody can claim to know anything, but if you defend persons who want to diminish Cleveland and aggrandize Columbus to the point of ridiculousness, then you're joining the certified "know-nothing" parade. We are what we appear to be, and IMO, you appear incredibly ignorant about Cleveland and the differences between Cleveland and Columbus.

I'm not writing this for you or other close-minded Columbus partisans, but for those persons who know little about one or more about the three Cs. Comparing Columbus with Cleveland isn't even as reasonable as trying to equate Pittsburgh with Philadelphia, another similar intra-state debate that sometimes rages in our neighboring state.

I wouldn't have engaged in this forum except for the baloney that I was reading about Cleveland, especially in comparison to Columbus. I deeply appreciate Columbus for what it is, but it truly is NOT a city in which I particularly would choose to live, given what is meaningful in my life.

E.g., the Cleveland Museum of Art, apart from its amazing permanent galleries, on its own is a wonder of exhibits, events and performances, even with an exquisite film series, that exceeds the combined similar offerings of Columbus in any given year. Throw in the renown Cleveland Orchestra, PlayhouseSquare, the Beck Center, Karamu, even the acclaimed Cinematheque at the Cleveland Institute of the Art, and much more, and the combined cultural heft of Cleveland versus Columbus becomes overwhelming. That matters to me, but so do the major pro sports.

One cultural mainstay in Columbus that I enjoy that has no exact equivalent in Cleveland to my knowledge is Shadowbox Live.

FYI, Kamms and I aren't exactly posting buddies if you had followed our posting history on the Cleveland forum.

It's doubtful, however, that he's going anywhere and I know I'm not. So get off your indignant high-horse and defend Columbus with some facts, if it's within your ability to do so.

Stick to the objective reality, or continue to look like a ridiculous dufus who knows nothing about Cleveland despite your all-knowing claims.
Agreed. Columbus Not in the same league, and I don't mean the NFL, mlb or NBA! Cleveland being on a great lake with all the fun, beaches and recreation, not to mention the international port puts cleveland on top of cbus... I also wait for columbus boosters to list or give reasons why they feel cbus is better than Cleveland or Cincinnati.. But I just keep waiting... OSU, state capital, NHL hockey,, what else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 09:18 AM

14,762 posts, read 14,750,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
Agreed. Columbus Not in the same league, and I don't mean the NFL, mlb or NBA! Cleveland being on a great lake with all the fun, beaches and recreation, not to mention the international port puts cleveland on top of cbus... I also wait for columbus boosters to list or give reasons why they feel cbus is better than Cleveland or Cincinnati.. But I just keep waiting... OSU, state capital, NHL hockey,, what else?
Non-stop population growth?

Old 02-14-2015, 11:00 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,148,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
Why should a list be created? What would that Columbus poster win by doing that, except ridicule? Would you ever be convinced otherwise that Cleveland/Cincinnati are not better than Columbus? Why should anyone participate in a debate in which people have no intention of ever changing their minds about anything? This is a p*ssing contest that has no conclusion. Columbus, in the minds of some, will simply never be worthy of praise or recognition for anything, no matter how much it grows, no matter what amenities it might already have or gain down the road. It'll always be the minor player in a room of giants. There is no winning this, just varying degrees of losing. Even NOT participating will be a loss because you'll just see it as confirmation of your pov... case in point.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:02 AM

368 posts, read 641,003 times
hard to top the beaches of lake Erie...the beautiful neighborhoods surrounding downtown Cleveland..the championship sports legacy..we all love Cleveland but its not fair that Cleveland has all the riches and the rest of the state is hillbillys

Old 02-14-2015, 11:16 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,148,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet_kinkaid View Post
hard to top the beaches of lake Erie...the beautiful neighborhoods surrounding downtown Cleveland..the championship sports legacy..we all love Cleveland but its not fair that Cleveland has all the riches and the rest of the state is hillbillys
Hillbillies.. but I can understand the issue being from/living in such a disadvantaged part of Ohio. I didn't realize what a terrible place I was from until I started posting on this board. Like many others, I clearly lost the cosmic lottery.

Old 02-14-2015, 01:00 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,391,415 times
Quote:
I agree. You are right, my downstate " hillbilly". I will enjoy lake Erie and all the recreation that goes with it, while you watch the corn grow in the south.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:44 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,969,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac51 View Post
The thing that you don't seem to understand is that I'm very happy that Cleveland was awarded the convention. So I have no problem dealing with it!!! My point to you is that while Cleveland has a lot going on, it's much more similar to Columbus and Cincinnati than it is to New York and Boston, for example. Your support for Cleveland when compared to the other 2C's is way way over the top!!! And your posts here on C-data are often infantile and pathetic!!!!
What you don't seem to understand is that I didn't nor do I need to state that Cleveland is above Columbus and Cincinnati, the RNC did.

What you also don't seem to understand is the thread is about the 3 Cs competing for a national political convention. It sounds like infantile and pathetic sore losers and competitors. Please don't start again about ''not supporting the other 2 Cs'' given their lack of support for and sore losing to Cleveland.

I supported Cleveland's bid for the RNC; it won. I didn't think Columbus was qualified for the DNC and neither did the DNC; it lost.

Cincinnati didn't bid on the DNC and was booted from the RNC competition.

What's the problem here? Oh, it's just a case of sore losers and a bunch of sour grapes.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:16 PM

324 posts, read 404,636 times
Quote:
Don't you just want to take a swim in the Cuyahoga River?

Old 02-14-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Again, when you don't have the facts, turn to nonsensical, personal insults. How could anybody intimately familiar with Cleveland have a "Cleveland Inferiority Complex" in any discussion of the merits of Cleveland versus Columbus? That's almost as humorous as talking about a "New York City Inferiority Complex" when talking about a Big Apple native's feelings of his city versus Buffalo, Columbus, Cleveland, or even Chicago! LOL! I would need to see a doctor if I claimed to be all-knowing about Cleveland and yet somehow felt it was an imperative to falsely diminish it versus Columbus (hint! hint!).

Facts: Columbus has no franchises for the top 3 major sports. It has no world-class, let alone national-class cultural institutions. It doesn't have a major international tourist attraction such as the Rock Hall. And, as noted in post 410, the long list goes on, and on, and on.

Are Chicago and DC more superior to Columbus than Cleveland. Sure, but so what? The superiority of Cleveland and Cincinnati to Columbus is significant and contrary to your vitriol, the differences are especially tangible and meaningful for residents of those cities, not only tourists.

E.g., anybody who has visited both the Cleveland Museum of Art and the Columbus Museum of Art, would quickly understand the difference between Cleveland and Columbus, regardless of how you would describe it. Anybody that knows anything about both cities could produce a long list of similar comparisons.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinions, but not to their own facts.

Anybody can claim to know anything, but if you defend persons who want to diminish Cleveland and aggrandize Columbus to the point of ridiculousness, then you're joining the certified "know-nothing" parade. We are what we appear to be, and IMO, you appear incredibly ignorant about Cleveland and the differences between Cleveland and Columbus.

I'm not writing this for you or other close-minded Columbus partisans, but for those persons who know little about one or more about the three Cs. Comparing Columbus with Cleveland isn't even as reasonable as trying to equate Pittsburgh with Philadelphia, another similar intra-state debate that sometimes rages in our neighboring state.

I wouldn't have engaged in this forum except for the baloney that I was reading about Cleveland, especially in comparison to Columbus. I deeply appreciate Columbus for what it is, but it truly is NOT a city in which I particularly would choose to live, given what is meaningful in my life.

E.g., the Cleveland Museum of Art, apart from its amazing permanent galleries, on its own is a wonder of exhibits, events and performances, even with an exquisite film series, that exceeds the combined similar offerings of Columbus in any given year. Throw in the renown Cleveland Orchestra, PlayhouseSquare, the Beck Center, Karamu, even the acclaimed Cinematheque at the Cleveland Institute of the Art, and much more, and the combined cultural heft of Cleveland versus Columbus becomes overwhelming. That matters to me, but so do the major pro sports.

One cultural mainstay in Columbus that I enjoy that has no exact equivalent in Cleveland to my knowledge is Shadowbox Live.

FYI, Kamms and I aren't exactly posting buddies if you had followed our posting history on the Cleveland forum.

It's doubtful, however, that he's going anywhere and I know I'm not. So get off your indignant high-horse and defend Columbus with some facts, if it's within your ability to do so.

Stick to the objective reality, or continue to look like a ridiculous dufus who knows nothing about Cleveland despite your all-knowing claims.
Have you made an appointment to see a doctor about your "Cleveland Inferiority Complex"? Every time that someone reminds you that Cleveland is no supercity, you come up with some infantile, imbecilic and encyclopedic response. Furthermore it's quite obvious that you and Mrs. Kamms graduated from the Cleveland Metropolitan School District!! Not only are both of you have a big-time common sense deficit, you both have a massive difficulty with READING COMPREHENSION!!!

You and Mrs. Kamms are 2 peas in the pod: TweedleDumb and TweedleDumb!!!

And oh by the way, I'll be waiting for your infantile, imbecilic and encyclopedic response!!!

Old 02-14-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
What you don't seem to understand is that I didn't nor do I need to state that Cleveland is above Columbus and Cincinnati, the RNC did.

What you also don't seem to understand is the thread is about the 3 Cs competing for a national political convention. It sounds like infantile and pathetic sore losers and competitors. Please don't start again about ''not supporting the other 2 Cs'' given their lack of support for and sore losing to Cleveland.

I supported Cleveland's bid for the RNC; it won. I didn't think Columbus was qualified for the DNC and neither did the DNC; it lost.

Cincinnati didn't bid on the DNC and was booted from the RNC competition.

What's the problem here? Oh, it's just a case of sore losers and a bunch of sour grapes.
Evidently you didn't comprehend what I said about being happy that Cleveland got the convention, so I think the problem with is that you have a difficulty with Reading Comprehension!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio