Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 09:46 AM

60 posts, read 59,894 times

Advertisements

I will be getting out of the Army in about 14 months. I'm originally from Canton, Ohio but would like to move elsewhere. Here is what I'm looking for.

Somewhere not too far from a bigger city (within an hours drive). Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Dayton, Toledo, etc. Good schools, good jobs (Cyber Security or business related career), low crime.

I'm looking for something with a sense of community. Maybe something that has a nice downtown that people frequent or a place that has family things to do a lot like parades and events. I don't want to just move somewhere, I want to live somewhere with my family. Somewhere I can be proud of living and to call home. A place that if we want to go somewhere bigger city, to a zoo, sports games, concerts, etc, it's not a crazy long drive to.

I've Googled "best cities in Ohio" and they basically all have different lists, weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 11:09 AM

Also, what cities have high Hispanic populations in general?

Old 05-15-2016, 12:33 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,622 times
probably to start, will depend on your budget..

Old 05-15-2016, 12:43 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times
For Cleveland, check out Cleveland Magazine's "Rating the Suburbs." You have to subscribe to get a copy and the 2016 edition should be out soon.

Rating the Suburbs 2015 | Article Archives | Cleveland Magazine - Your guide to the best of Cleveland

Check out Wikipedia articles for any city to get Hispanic percentages.

Willoughby has a good downtown and is convenient to many natural attractions such as the North Chagrin Reservation of the Cleveland Metroparks, several Lake County Metroparks including the Farmpark and Penitentiary Glen, the exceptional Holden Arboretum, Mentor Headlands Beach state park, etc. Check out the events calendar for any county visitors bureau.

Willoughby also is convenient for great shopping. It's a stone's throw from Mentor, the sixth largest commercial center in Ohio, and a short drive to I-271 retail centers, such as on Mayfield Road and Legacy Village and Beachwood Place Mall. The latter two are the upscale shopping mecca in northern Ohio.

Willoughby also is a short drive to both University Circle and downtown Cleveland, two of the most eventful locations in Ohio, depending upon your interests.

Painesville, about 20 minutes from Willoughby, is an Hispanic center of population in northeast Ohio.

Perhaps check out Shaker Hts. and the greater University Circle area. I think that I read that the Hispanic population is increasing there. See especially post 3 in this thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...cleveland.html

I-271 is a top corporate corridor in Ohio and likely has good demand for cyber security pros.

Certainly read through the Cleveland, Cincinnati and Columbus forums. Perhaps provide more information about your family, its activity preferences, and your housing budget, and post in each of the forums.

Your earlier thread has great information.

//www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/...n-squares.html

Here are a couple other Ohio-centric threads, perhaps with some useful perspectives.

//www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/...live-ohio.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/...-vs-other.html

Thanks for your service and good luck!

Old 05-15-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
probably to start, will depend on your budget..
I'm not totally sure. That will entirely be based on what salary I get hired for. I have been looking for houses in the range of 150,000-250,000 whenever I search to see what's out there.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:28 AM

24 posts, read 28,309 times
Look outside the area of Columbus. We are in the mist of relocating as jobs have moved more to the Columbus area. Grove City and Hillard are favorite areas.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:02 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,226,583 times
Sandusky is a great town. Lots to do there and it's an easy drive to Cleveland airport. You have Cedar Point, all the water parks, the major stores for shopping and Lake Erie.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:23 AM

34 posts, read 39,260 times
Dayton is filled with endless Cyber jobs with Wright Patterson Air force base. You have everything you want and need in Dayton. Dayton's a major city with very affluent suburban areas, countless shopping ammonites and great university's, and grade schools. Endless activity's that are yours to discover. If you did want to ever leave for another city for a day trip Columbus is an hour to an hour and haft away and the same for Cincinnati. Indianapolis is about 2 hours away. These city's are all very similar to Dayton, I would recommend going to Chicago or Detroit if you want to see a larger city. Detroit is 3 hours away, and Chicago is 4 to 5.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:25 PM

259 posts, read 428,748 times
Columbus has very low unemployment right now. There is a growing number of bigger tech companies here, including data management companies. There are also a lot of bigger businesses that might be able to use your Cyber Security skills. Most of the northern/central suburbs have good schools and are generally good places to live. The only downside is that the real estate market here is totally crazy right now. If you end up in Columbus, you may want to plan to rent until you find the right house, because it is a very tight market and there are not nearly enough houses on the market to meet demand.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,415 times
Columbus would be a great choice for you given your career field. It's a quickly-growing city with lots to do and a lot of diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio