Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 08:38 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,878,916 times

Advertisements

1) Current or former Ohio location: NE Ohio

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?: Quality Of Life

3) Where outside of Ohio and why: Surprise, AZ

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices: N/A

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?: House has not sold yet!

6) Anything else you want to say? I think the mindset of NE Ohio is what is really motivating me to move. The lack of higher education is simply astounding to me, not the availability, but that people don't go to college here. People then turn around and complain there aren't any "good" paying jobs. Just take a look at what the top rated videos from Netflix are in this area, that will explain everything! (Blue Collar Comedy, Saw 17, etc!) Depressing to say the least. PS: I don't mean to generalize that everyone is like this in the area, but too many!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 02:37 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,733,291 times
9 posts removed. If you have personal issues, solve them using Direct Messages. Further attempts to hijack threads with off topic personal debates will result with infractions being issued.
Yac.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:36 PM

353 posts, read 1,707,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
1) Current or former Ohio location: NE Ohio

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?: Quality Of Life

3) Where outside of Ohio and why: Surprise, AZ

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices: N/A
Where do you live now skye?

Old 03-05-2008, 07:28 PM

758 posts, read 2,890,440 times
1) Current or former Ohio location: Toledo

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?: Job

3) Where outside of Ohio and why: New Hampshire Seacoast just north of Boston....again job

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices: I wasn't planning on moving until this job opportunity presented itself.

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?:

6) Anything else you want to say?

Growing up in Ohio you sort of have blinders on. I traveled a lot growing up but you have a whole different outlook once you leave and come back to visit. I DO miss it, but there are some MUCH more enjoyable places to live. I'll always have a fondness for it but I still pinch myself when I think about where I currently live. New England is "wicked" awesome. It's also "wicked" expensive too. I VERY MUCH miss the cost of living in Ohio.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:14 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,088,717 times
Here's another reason to leave plain and simple. Communities divide themselves over simple aspects like funding school expansion and education in general. These levies have got to stop! It makes for pointless bickering and shows how inept both the governor and legislature have become to an unconstitutional problem. Few communties support their district here in Ohio. If yours doesn't, get out before the ceiling falls through in the form of falling property values or dismantled school programs (ie busing). Sorry this was a little off topic, but I think it makes for a good reason to leave the state.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:40 PM

353 posts, read 1,707,287 times
Well said Wrightflyer. You hit the nail on the head with school funding.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:04 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,207,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
Here's another reason to leave plain and simple. Communities divide themselves over simple aspects like funding school expansion and education in general. These levies have got to stop! It makes for pointless bickering and shows how inept both the governor and legislature have become to an unconstitutional problem. Few communties support their district here in Ohio. If yours doesn't, get out before the ceiling falls through in the form of falling property values or dismantled school programs (ie busing). Sorry this was a little off topic, but I think it makes for a good reason to leave the state.
I have to agree with the school funding issue. Our district passed a 1% income tax levy in order to guarantee bussing for our high school students (small town, NE OH, Wayne County). This is in ADDITION to the property tax levy that passed a few years ago. Guess what? They still have not reinstated bussing for this year and "promise" they will have it for the school year 2008-2009. The school board and administration says that they are trying to recruit bus drivers but are having little success in doing so. The challenge seems to be low pay, no benefits whatsoever, and the certification to get a license to become a bus driver is all paid by the bus driver. What happened to the qualified bus drivers from the years past? A good number got laid off before the income tax levy passed and they have moved on to different school districts and are driving busses for them.

Our school board and administration blatantly lied in their numerous community ads in the newspaper and mailings to homes. I am appalled at the non-accountability as it pertains to school funding in this state, from our state legislature who continually puts the burden of school funding on property owners and now income tax levies.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:54 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,878,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikieo415 View Post
Where do you live now skye?
Warren, Ohio

Old 03-28-2008, 01:33 PM

7 posts, read 27,200 times
TELL IT LIKE IT IS

1) Current or former Ohio location:

Rossford - suburb of Toledo

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?:

Never, ever liked it there. Was always depressed there. Always hated the weather - the humid muggy summer days with no sunshine were the worst. I traveled a lot with my parents growing up, and knew I would move away one day. I got talked into going to UT for my bachelor's by friends and parents, one of the bigger mistakes I've made (fine school for engineering/technology, not for a liberal arts major). No job/networking opportunities for a freelancer.

The number one reason has to be the midwestern mindset, so prevelant in Toledo. For example, my husband and I have chosen to not have children. I currently live in Denver, and this is not really a big deal out here, because there are a number of people who have made the same decision. We have friends and co-workers, both women and men, who are attractive, successful, and getting up there in years, with no immediate plans or even desires to get married, so content are they with being single. We also have friends who are not heterosexual. And all of this is okay. Back in Toledo though, I'm pretty sure we'd be considered losers, freaks, or just plain selfish for our lifestyle.

I lost weight when I moved out here, and didn't even plan it. Colorado residents love spending time outdoors, and being physically active. I enjoy mountain biking and backpacking, and have continued improving my fitness level over the years. Sometimes when I go home, I get the feeling people mistake my health-consciousness for vanity. For example, after a visit home one time, I received a FWD email from someone in Toledo that was supposed to come across as a you're-okay-I'm-okay-sister type of thing, but was a poem/rant about how women should place an importance on being happy with how they are instead of "obsessing" over weight and appearance.

Given the choice between having high blood pressure/diabetes/heart problems and being perceived as self-absorbed, I'll take the latter anyday.

3) Where outside of Ohio and why:

Boulder CO for grad school, but lived in other cities, and now live in Denver. Why - I like not having to drive everywhere; easy access to beautiful city parks; streets that are clean, well-maintained and safe; living among people who value progressive ideals; awesome climate - gorgeous sunny days; having a host of cultural activities to choose from; meeting and socializing with others who are in the creative/non-corporate sector; good shopping/dining options; just living in a city that the citizens take pride in.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices:

About to move to 2nd choice - Los Angeles. 3rd choice is New Mexico. Would love to retire in a small mountain town there.

Toledo and probably anywhere in OH is fine for someone who's secured a good stable job and wants only to raise a family in a quite town. As much as I hated living there, I'm really glad I was raised there for some reason. It's also a bargain. You cannot buy a 1 bedroom condo in a decent part of LA for the price of a 4 bedroom house in a nice Toledo suburb. Then again, there is nothing to do in sad, dreary Toledo. Thus proving once again - you get what you pay for.

Last edited by MLDurkac; 03-28-2008 at 02:11 PM..

Old 03-28-2008, 01:46 PM

408 posts, read 696,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikieo415 View Post
Not everybody in Ohio is in love with it, so I am starting this post for those who want to leave, or have left to tell us why.

TELL IT LIKE IT IS

1) Current or former Ohio location: Dayton,OH

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?: I really hate the weather. Really hot and humid in the summer and freezing in the winter, there is never a between. Plus you never know what the weather will be like until the day is upon you. Also there is not much to do here, no ocean or places to get lost, just not much to do.

3) Where outside of Ohio and why: Austin,TX. I want to move there because although it gets really hot it never gets cold or snows! I hate the snow, the weathe pretty much stays warm all year long. Plus there is lots to do and beaches and ocean, and you can definitely get lost in Texas! And I need to go back to school and the schools there are cheaper!

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices: Albuquerque, NM and Santa Fe, NM

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?: Need to get money together to move, and put things in order to do so. But, Im close!

If you are not careful you could get trapped in Ohio. You can get comfortable enough and spend your whole life there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio