Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2008, 04:51 AM

65 posts, read 253,435 times

Advertisements

well, not exactly. and here's why:

1) you moved for family reasons. not crazy, but quite thoughtful. i've stayed in this state for 2 main reasons, lack of funds and my elderly parents, one of whom has Alzheimers.

2) i am progressive, but historically, most Ohioans are not. even so, there are seeds of change--even in the New Springfield/New Middletown area. people are sick of the status quo and the degeneration of Mahoning County (finally!) and there is a small, yet dedicated group trying to change things. will they be able to? i am one who tends to watch and wait.

3) ohio fits some people, but not others. you seem to like the country life with easy access to the city if you need it. ohio is a pretty decent combo for that. me, personally LOVES the city, lots of different cultures, etc. so ohio doesn't fit me as well. you found a job and nice housing. you're blessed, not crazy.

4) finally, hon...this forum (and others) is only a small part of the population--once you get here, you will be immersed in the Ohio "culture". i won't lie, there are many problems since the economic collapse (just like the other 49 states), and imho, too many pockets of racism, but in the scheme of things, ohio has potential *IF* the people of this state would only realize it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 05:38 PM

40 posts, read 153,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
ohio's a sinking ship. if you want to get out, please do, the state is going in the wrong direction. if you want to stay, have fun and God bless. but please, why all the arguing?
Don't worry. I'm getting the hell outta here as soon as I get the money together

Old 10-31-2008, 02:28 PM

14 posts, read 45,743 times
Default Thinking about Leaving ohio

Not everybody in Ohio is in love with it, so I am starting this post for those who want to leave, or have left to tell us why.

TELL IT LIKE IT IS

1) Current or former Ohio location: Chardon

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?: weather, economy

3) Where outside of Ohio and why:South Carolina, people, weather.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices: Georgia, NC

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?:Nothing, I'm gone after 59 yrs in Ohio

6) Anything else you want to say? Life is good down south. People are friendlier, weather is nicer and lo and behold I see blue skies everyday. Beaches 2 hours, mts. 2 hours.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:54 PM

14 posts, read 45,743 times
They do the same tax in SC on automobiles....also tax on groceries. The great part though is that is how the schools are funded so my real estate taxes are really really low..less than 2000 a yr on a home valued at 550,000

Old 10-31-2008, 06:48 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,518,325 times
TELL IT LIKE IT IS

1) Current or former Ohio location: Columbus OH

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?: Jobs

3) Where outside of Ohio and why: Indiana, then Arizona

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices: Went where I could find a job.

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?:

6) Anything else you want to say? It's bad all over, but people out west think the economy just soured over night. I tell them Midwesterners have been dealing with this for over 20 years.

I am surprised Ohio, and other midwest states didn't start a grassroots movement to have Ron Paul on the ticket. Instead, everyone sat around and waited for everything to unravel.

All the distractions about abortion, which no candidate even brings up after elected...

All the window dressing and "she likes to hunt"...who cares.

The real issue is and has been the jobs leaving this nation, and the devalued dollar.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:10 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,518,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikaranotori View Post
well, not exactly. and here's why:

1) you moved for family reasons. not crazy, but quite thoughtful. i've stayed in this state for 2 main reasons, lack of funds and my elderly parents, one of whom has Alzheimers.

2) i am progressive, but historically, most Ohioans are not. even so, there are seeds of change--even in the New Springfield/New Middletown area. people are sick of the status quo and the degeneration of Mahoning County (finally!) and there is a small, yet dedicated group trying to change things. will they be able to? i am one who tends to watch and wait.

3) ohio fits some people, but not others. you seem to like the country life with easy access to the city if you need it. ohio is a pretty decent combo for that. me, personally LOVES the city, lots of different cultures, etc. so ohio doesn't fit me as well. you found a job and nice housing. you're blessed, not crazy.

4) finally, hon...this forum (and others) is only a small part of the population--once you get here, you will be immersed in the Ohio "culture". i won't lie, there are many problems since the economic collapse (just like the other 49 states), and imho, too many pockets of racism, but in the scheme of things, ohio has potential *IF* the people of this state would only realize it.

Ohio has everything. All of my family is there and I miss it.
I wish I could look up and see an oak tree or a buckeye.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:00 PM

232 posts, read 553,644 times
TELL IT LIKE IT IS

1) Current or former Ohio location: currently Toledo

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?: probably going to leave due to winter climate, economy and that it's a long drive to family and places we'd like to be.

3) Where outside of Ohio and why: Raleigh, NC area due to the climate, location (2 hours to awesome beaches or mountains), lower taxes, decent economy, and quality of life issues.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices: Texas or Colorado

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?: finishing up loose ends and researching future home.

6) Anything else you want to say? We've enjoyed our decade in the Toledo area. It is a nice place for families. The public library system, metroparks, zoo & art museum are fantastic. There are some good housing buys now but the economy and taxes are quite troubling. There are some great people in this area and we will miss it, but we don't have family here and know we don't want to live here the rest of our lives.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:20 PM

120 posts, read 461,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickmystir700 View Post
What a joke you are, if you don't like people pissing and moaning about Ohio then don't come into this topic, nobody cares that you love Cleveland, maybe you should concentrate all the energy you spend gloating about the crappy state of ohio on your personal life and you wouldn't feel the need to stay here.
hahaahah I think I upset O-H-I-O (the ohio fanboy) here is a recent message he sent me....

"What are you like 15 years old nice picture. Keep your pre-teen opinions in the Texas forums. TOOL "

I think you guys know what we mean when we say that we left because the people in ohio are rude. OWNED way to embarrass yourself and the people of ohio.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:19 AM

21 posts, read 57,008 times
"Owned"
Sweet replie dude. Hey hit me up on myspace man. We can discuss things we know nothing about and try to make total strangers on the internet think were smarter than we really are. "owned" gimme a break. Dont you have a video game to play. Shouldnt you be pledging to a frat right now.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:03 PM

2 posts, read 4,314 times
wow.

hmm. if this culture of hate we saw under bush/mcCain goes on after jan09, we move to prosper and peaceful europe. the better civilisation for my kids to grow up.

but i still hope. now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio