Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2007, 07:04 AM

566 posts, read 603,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
Just so there isn't any confusion 100 years from now, I'll state for the record that three years ago my wife was the original inventor of the "Smore Stick".
It's a pretzel rod with marshmallows dipped in chocolate. We have been selling them in our concession stand ever since. She woke me up at 2 in the morning because the idea popped into her head. They are labor intensive, and a true pain in the butt to make. If you ever see us at the fairs and festivals, give one a try.
Wow this is amazing! My great grandma has been making these "smore sticks" as you call them since I was a little girl. I have never seen them at the fairs, but hopefully I do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 05:33 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,376,944 times
from what ive seen its got to be cheap 99 cent beer!!!!

Old 07-10-2007, 06:18 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,504,048 times
One would think...but keep trying. That's not it.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:34 AM

ok i found it its to mato juice or is it tom ato juice

Old 07-12-2007, 05:14 AM

Now you got it.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:00 AM

32 posts, read 56,061 times
HTlong, Hate to disappoint you, but the "Zipper" was actually invented in Korea back in 1904. I lived in Korea for six years and went to the biggest zipper factory (YKK) and they have a history of the zipper. You are correct that the first zipper in the US appear in 1917, but as far as being invented is was 1904 in Korea...a small town called Osan.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:00 PM

interesting, i have a korean to thank for the speed and ease of getting dressed each morning

Old 07-14-2007, 08:06 PM

this might be american bias....but heres what i found.
[edit] History of the zipper
An early device superficially similar to the zipper, "an Automatic, Continuous Clothing Closure", was patented in the United States by Elias Howe in 1851. Unlike the zipper, Howe's invention had no slider; instead a series of clasps slid freely along both edges to be joined, with each clasp holding the two sides together at whichever pair of points along them it was located. The clasps were joined together by a string, which, when pulled taut, caused the clasps to be evenly spaced along the closure, thus holding the two edges together. Pulling in the other direction caused the clasps to become bunched up at one end, by which means the device was opened.

The true zipper was the product of a series of incremental improvements over more than twenty years, by inventors and engineers associated with a sequence of companies that were the progenitors of Talon, Inc. This process began with a version called the "clasp locker", invented by Whitcomb L. Judson of Chicago (previously of Minneapolis and New York City), and for which a patent (No. 504,038) was first applied for on Nov. 7, 1891. It culminated in 1914 with the invention, by Gideon Sundback, of the "Hookless Fastener No. 2", which was the first version of the zipper without any major design flaws, and which was essentially indistinguishable from modern zippers.

Initial versions of the zipper were based on the "hook and eye" principle, rather than on interlocking teeth, and tended to come apart easily. Some versions depended on constant pressure from one side of the joined fabric in order to hold together at all, which limited applications. In the 1891 version, the slider detached entirely from the zipper when not being used to open or close.

Judson, together with business partner Harry Earle, founded the first incarnation of what was to eventually become Talon Inc., in Chicago in 1894, as the Universal Fastener Company. The design deficiencies, combined with difficulties in getting the machinery needed for mass production to work, prevented the early devices from reaching market, which led to financial hardships for the company. This in turn led to a series of reorganizations and name changes, as well as relocations, first to Catasauqua, Pennsylvania; then to Elyria, Ohio; Hoboken, New Jersey; and finally Meadville, Pennsylvania.

S

Old 07-16-2007, 08:01 AM

what media mogol was born in cinncinnatti....

Old 07-16-2007, 07:40 PM

I would guess you are probably talking about Ted Turner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio