Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2017, 08:49 AM

2 posts, read 935 times

Advertisements

I posted an ad on Craigslist looking for a home under my budget. A few weeks later a property owner called me and offered me a fixer upper. When we initially talked he told me that the house was just needing flooring painting and other misc things. Turns out the house needs a lot of repairs. Been here 2 months and signed a lease to pay $800 a month. It's a 4 Bedroom house 2 Full baths. Both bathrooms aren't fully fuctionable. I'm cooking on a electric burner because stove hasn't been installed. Only the cold water works in the Laundry room. Only 2 bedrooms are able to be used. And I brought my own workers that he pays to do the work but he has them doing work outside (box gutters, siding). It's still warm out and the work they're doing could wait. My children are in 1 bdrm together but could have their own rooms. 1 room needs painting and flooring the other room needs flooring. Hallways need flooring and the steps are bare wood and out of date. We don't have it in written that we are under a fixer upper deal. My lease just say $800 a mth. But it's not a Fully functioning HOUSE. What do I do?
Not to mention in my yard there is plywood, ladders all kinds of scraps and junk knowing that the city would not allow this specially with us living in the house. People will say well why are you living there ?????I am a disabled mother-of-four. Yes I am married but our income is scarce. This seemed to be the best option for us at the time not knowing that this would be such a difficult task. He refuses to do any inside work and gets mad if you ask him any questions. Last weekend my husband try to get his attention to ask him if he can stack the wood behind the tree and cover it with a tarp just so the mailman, my children and myself could walk on the porch and not feel like we could trip or fall. The landlord got all upset and started yelling at my husband and it took all my husband had not to knock his 78 year old self down LOL. Also I have been approved for home health aide but my nurse said nothing can be started if the junk in the yard was not picked up. She ignored it knowing that he was working on the house but a lot of it is trash and can be hauled out with just a simple phone call. He owns other properties and is sort of using my house for a junk pile.
But I feel like I have rights as a tenant and although we discussed verbally discussed that this was a fixer-upper this is nothing that I was prepared for and my head hurts everyday trying to figure out what to do. Please please give me all the information that you have that would help me and my family figure out what to do. I'm not in any position to move thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 05:50 PM

135 posts, read 183,690 times
As with all landlord-tenant issues, it depends on your lease. Assuming you didn't agree to these things in the lease, the phrase you want to use is "constructive eviction". You'll need a lawyer to help. You do have rights, but only if you're willing to go to court to enforce them.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 935 times
Thank you

Old 10-12-2017, 01:37 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Most all states have a landlord/tenant handbook which clearly spells out both landlord and tenant responsibilities. You should know what his are and what yours are so read through this:

https://www.ohiobar.org/ForPublic/Re...mphlet-11.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio