Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 09:50 AM

4 posts, read 17,486 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to Mansfield.

I noticed it has a lot of shopping for a town of its size. I found on the Mansfield web site that the city is trying to clean up a lot of blight.

I've asked folks that live in Mansfield from other internet sources that many parts of the town are really bad to live in. I don't have a lot of money so I was hoping to purchase a property that is cheap and re-model it myself.

I am amazed at the negativity in questions I ask about this area. Is it really that bad? I'm told the local blacks hate whites (which I am) and the drug dealers come down from Detroit and hang on local streets.

This is a quoted email I received from one individual but same type of message has be sense of concern expressed to me by others.

email said: "I know Lida st. Roland Ave. Bowman Sty. unless you get waaaaaaay out, Blymer ave. 5th st. Parts of third, parts of 4th, sycamore st. The first three don't care too much for white people, the others aren't super bad, but guys from detroit deal drugs there."

I'm hoping to find locals to set this information straight. I really have my heart set on this area as I have in-laws that live near this area as well.

Thanks for your input.

Birdy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2006, 05:57 PM

976 posts, read 3,870,197 times
Mansfield is a very nice medium size city not far from Columbus, Toledo or Cleveland. It offers a lot for a city of its size. It is also starting to grow rather quickly, and with the growth of Columbus expanding northwards you are starting to see new larger coporations moving in. Now the Detroit crime problem. Michigan is so screwed up and cant keep its own problems in its state borders, and drugs creep out to all sections of the Midwest and NE. Detroit needs to learn to take care of its own crime problem, but before that they still have to take care of the ones that have overflowed the city limits. Detroit is doing terrible. Mansfield is really not to affected by this problem though. When i was back in Pittsburgh about three weeks ago they were talking about gangs that left Detroit and were now living in Pittsburgh. Detroit is a messed up city and so is the state of Michigan. Mansfield is a nice city though. A lot of oppurtunity. It is also next to one of the fastest growing regions in the nation. Delaware County is currently the 11th fastest growing county in the nation right now.

Old 12-16-2006, 11:48 PM

78 posts, read 326,230 times
The person that sent you that email probably hasn't been here in atleast 5-10 years. Although there is a drug problem, it isn't as horrible as that person made it seem. Also, a lot of cities and towns have drug problems, it is not just Mansfield. Mansfield, which isn't exactly the economic center that it once was, is making a comeback and many parts of the city that have experienced Urban Blight are now renovated and give Mansfield its old flare back. The downtown area offers a wide veriety of services. The downtown has a lot of culture related activities(art galleries, art studios, art museum, and two theaters). However, most of the chain stores are located in our suburb, which i consider still part of Mansfield(all you have to do is cross a street and you are there), is Ontario. Walmart, Target, Macy's, you name it, it is most likely there.

Ontario also has a lot of condos and other new residential developments. The schools are good, but like many schools in the area, it has had some rough times. If you are looking for cheaper homes, I would suggest Madison TWP(on the east side of Mansfield) or Mansfield itself. The schools in Madison are ok, but it is in a money crisis and its administartion has been known to be corrupt. Mansfield schools are in a lot of trouble. They are very close to having the state take control. However, if you are looking for cheaper housing, those two areas are it.

Also, going back to the 'drug problem', things aren't as bad as Lexington(south of Mansfield). It has a bad drug problem, mainly in its school. But like I said, a lot of places have drug problems. As for blacks hating whites, not so true. Sure, there are some blacks that hate whites, but yet again, there are whites who hate balcks. Also, I can go downtown and walk around at like 10pm and not feel threatened, and I am a teen. I have only been bothered twice, but it was just a guy asking for money, and the other incident, a guys asked me for a ride. The only time people get hurt is when they stick there nose where it doesn't belong. However, after 10pm-11pm, go downtown with friends, just in case there is rare accurance.

Job opportunities are ok in Mansfield, but it would be better if you had a degree of some sort or an area of specialization. Or, you could work in Akron, Columbus, or Cleveland. Columbus and Akron are about an hour away, based on traffic, and Cleveland is about an hour and a half based on traffic.

I hope that you have seen this comment and I hope that it helped.

-Mansfielder

Old 01-25-2007, 10:36 PM

2 posts, read 12,240 times
mansfield is not so bad. people tend to move out ,but they come back after while. used to be bad parts/ good parts. now not really much difference. i find it is best not to neighbor to much. all in all its good

Old 03-18-2007, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 8,660 times
Default Mansfield is a Drug infested crime riddled city!

I've lived in Mansfield for most of my life, also lived in Chicago & Columbus, OH.
Mansfield has a huge drug & crime problem percapita compared to the bigger cities. Youth gangs from Detroit & Chicago tend to thrive here.... I can't wait to leave and never come back. as far as jobs.....Good Luck.....many places have closed!

Old 04-19-2007, 05:31 PM

4 posts, read 25,862 times
Default Try looking at Ashland

Ashland is a smaller and safer town just east of Mansfield. It is a college town with many great things to offer you. Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 06:43 AM..

Old 04-21-2007, 06:32 PM

130 posts, read 156,477 times
savana56,

You're right Ashland is awesome!

Old 05-11-2007, 06:21 AM

2 posts, read 10,285 times
Exclamation mansfield ohio nice place to live schools are the shady ones

I have lived in Mansfield of 1 yr and one month i enjoy the country living with the city not to far away I have a child with speical needs before we moved i spoke to several people from Lexington School district they said they could accomodate my child It has been a battle though out the yr with the special ed teacher principal and superintendent Lexington like to sweep problems under a rug and hope they go away I heard Ontario is also the same way.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:07 AM

3 posts, read 23,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdy... View Post

I noticed it has a lot of shopping for a town of its size. I found on the Mansfield web site that the city is trying to clean up a lot of blight.

I've asked folks that live in Mansfield from other internet sources that many parts of the town are really bad to live in. I don't have a lot of money so I was hoping to purchase a property that is cheap and re-model it myself.

I am amazed at the negativity in questions I ask about this area. Is it really that bad? I'm told the local blacks hate whites (which I am) and the drug dealers come down from Detroit and hang on local streets.

This is a quoted email I received from one individual but same type of message has be sense of concern expressed to me by others.

email said: "I know Lida st. Roland Ave. Bowman Sty. unless you get waaaaaaay out, Blymer ave. 5th st. Parts of third, parts of 4th, sycamore st. The first three don't care too much for white people, the others aren't super bad, but guys from detroit deal drugs there."

I'm hoping to find locals to set this information straight. I really have my heart set on this area as I have in-laws that live near this area as well.

Thanks for your input.

Birdy...
I have lived in mansfield and its not that bad

Old 10-24-2007, 10:14 AM

3 posts, read 23,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdy... View Post

Thanks for your input.

Birdy...
I lived i mansfield for many years when i was little and most of my friends were black the only way you willhave problems with them is if you use the n word and if they use it don't think it is ok for you to use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio