Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 6,984 times

Advertisements

Does ne 1 no about Fostoria, is it a good place 2 live and why/whynot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 06:19 PM

656 posts, read 2,315,752 times
Well, I live about 20 minutes SW of there, and don't particularly go there without a reason. However, I did drive through last Wednesday to get to a shop across the county. The stuctures always seem so depressed and unkept there. Most of the natives I talk to are not too thrilled in living there, but it's cheap enough for them, so they stay.

A lot of people around here don't necessarily consider it a great place to live, save a small, decent section southwest of County Line Rd. There's a ton of train traffic through the town, and that's always a pain too. I'm not really sure for what you're looking, but it's a small, small farm town.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:09 AM

170 posts, read 571,291 times
I have heard that the crime rate is really high for its size. Why is that?

Old 06-09-2009, 09:04 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,020,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabeacon View Post
I have heard that the crime rate is really high for its size. Why is that?
Because people are bored with nothing to do with their time. The crime in the area, from what I understand, is mostly petty theft / break-ins.

Fostoria is inexpensive, but there is a reason for that. Most of the rentals that I've seen are not well kept, there are a lot of poverty or just above poverty level households, and there is not pride in taking care of the city. Overall, it is a run down town. There are very limited options for shopping and groceries and limited activities for entertainment. However, they do have some really good mom n pop restaurants! It is far enough away from Findlay, BG, Tiffin or Fremont that its a decent time commitment for better shopping options or things to do.

Personally, I wouldn't pick Fostoria.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:44 PM

843 posts, read 1,298,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
Because people are bored with nothing to do with their time. The crime in the area, from what I understand, is mostly petty theft / break-ins.

Fostoria is inexpensive, but there is a reason for that. Most of the rentals that I've seen are not well kept, there are a lot of poverty or just above poverty level households, and there is not pride in taking care of the city. Overall, it is a run down town. There are very limited options for shopping and groceries and limited activities for entertainment. However, they do have some really good mom n pop restaurants! It is far enough away from Findlay, BG, Tiffin or Fremont that its a decent time commitment for better shopping options or things to do.

I agree. Of all the places in Northwest Ohio Fostoria would be my last. BG, Findlay or Fremont would all be better.

North Baltimore would be better than Fostoria.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:06 PM

313 posts, read 1,195,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post

Hey, what are the good mom and pop restaurants? We are always looking for some place new! Are they good, or just ok?

Old 06-20-2009, 10:34 PM

6 posts, read 20,770 times
Default Mom & pop

Try Jim & Marian's Diner at 150 west Lytle Street. I've been there. Also,
J B Twisters further west on the south side of the same road.
I'm the same way. NO MCDONALD'S!!! That clown scares me!

Old 06-21-2009, 07:03 AM

100 posts, read 338,638 times
I've lived around Toledo and NW Ohio my entire life, and the only headlines that ever seem to come out of Fostoria are big time drug busts and the other property crimes that stem from the drug problem. It's one of the few small, rural towns that I have ever heard of that has a crack problem. It seems that drug dealers from Toledo and other bigger towns spend a lot of time there, for some reason. I'm not naive, and I know that drugs are everywhere, but in the smaller towns, crack is not normally the drug of choice. I would stay way away from Fostoria.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:30 PM

1 posts, read 5,926 times
Default RE: Moving to Fostoria

I live in Fostoria, and in my opinion many of the people posting has the wrong idea of Fostoria. Used to the crime rate was bad, they used to have alot of corruption in the Police force here, but the new Cheif, he really cares and has been cleaning things up. It is fairly calm. I will not say there is never anything bad going on here, but it has improved.

As far as the city officials, in my opinion there still is much dishonesty and corruption. It is not a cheap place to live. The water bills here are terribly high. Fostoria owns their own water here and they do not have to answer to any utility commission agencies (many have checked) so the cost of the water is more expensive than most. If you try to dispute an unfair bill, Fostoria only answers to Fostoria so you will lose, they will just tell you that the toilet must have been leaking, they see it all the time.

Much of the factories and other businesses, which Fostoria has been known in the past for the industries (and the trains) has left Fostoria. I told them probably because of the high water bills and unfairness. But whatever the reason, Fostoria seems to becoming a bit of a ghost town.

The schools are pretty good. Actually, we moved from Toledo, the school system is 90% better than Toledo's, but that is not saying much, Toledo schools really suck. If you have a child that needs tutoring or is struggling in school they will help you get help and tutoring here.

It is true, there is A LOT of train traffic here. Once you get to know the area enough to go around them you start to realize you may as well take the alternative routes all the time because you will be stopped by a train.

There is not much for kids to do here and many of them do start doing stupid things. Used to there were a lot of drug dealing on the corners of one end of town and some said the girls was selling more than drugs, but as I said the cheif of police that is here now has made a difference, you don't see that anymore and if you do and you care enough to call him and give him the information then the police is out there to take care of it. There is still dealing but you don't see it on the corners of the streets like you used to.

Best thing about here is the schools helping kinds who struggle and everything in Fostoria is 10 minutes away.

Hope I have helped some.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:18 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
I visit Fostoria quite frequently. Fostoria is on decline, jobs are evaporating, the area around is flat and ugly (former swamp), Fostoria has a (very) small park and little else to stretch your legs, nearest Wal-Mart etc. is in Tiffin 15 miles east. City taxes will get deep into your wallet, if state tax didn't. Real estate is cheaper than average, however, buying 1920s house WITHOUT insulation in Ohio is not smart at all, unless you are an independently wealthy seeking ways to spice up your life. If you have options stay away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio