Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 02:27 PM

469 posts, read 434,670 times

Advertisements

From the Intel newsroom, 2 quick “rah rah” videos showcasing Ohio selection. Pretty cool.

https://youtu.be/LChew45heCc

https://youtu.be/0fxM5zRTcjE

Not an exaggeration to say this will transform the state once this project scales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2022, 05:03 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,071,077 times
Something intriguing to me is that the annexation for this was 3,600 acres, and Intel's mega fab would only consume about 1,000. This leaves a ton of land within the greater site for more development. Intel has stated that at least some of that land would be for future expansions, indicating that even $100+ billion is only a portion of the eventual investment they have in mind.

Old 01-21-2022, 05:27 PM

509 posts, read 782,865 times
Does anyone know the exact location?

I saw a presentation with the gov and intel execs and they said "northwest licking county". But curious where exactly the plot is.

Old 01-21-2022, 06:02 PM

469 posts, read 434,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Something intriguing to me is that the annexation for this was 3,600 acres, and Intel's mega fab would only consume about 1,000. This leaves a ton of land within the greater site for more development. Intel has stated that at least some of that land would be for future expansions, indicating that even $100+ billion is only a portion of the eventual investment they have in mind.
Referring to this Dispatch article, the annexation of 3200 acres from Jersey Township to New Albany includes expansion of the broader New Albany Business Park, where there are existing data centers for Google, Amazon, and Facebook. So it’s not all Intel’s, although I imagine Intel may have additional land options as part of their deal (speculating).

https://www.dispatch.com/story/busin...ny/6524507001/

I’m not personally familiar with this area, but with a multi-thousand employee workforce coming soon, there will likely need to be some build-out of new services such as restaurants and hotels and other ancillary businesses. Perhaps some of New Albany’s annexed acreage is slated for that.

Old 01-22-2022, 03:40 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,686,900 times
Congrats to Columbus. I have a feeling you will be attracting a lot of talent from the Pittsburgh area for those jobs. It would’ve been nice if we could’ve gotten it here (Pittsburgh). We just don’t have our act together for attracting business and growth like Columbus.

We talk a big game here in Pittsburgh but our city delivers very little with new job growth.

Old 01-22-2022, 04:52 PM

14,683 posts, read 14,656,423 times
This is great news; Ohio and the Midwest in general needs more tech and innovation to compete with the other regions of the country.

Old 01-24-2022, 12:56 AM

509 posts, read 782,865 times
I think Columbus is going to be a boomtown over the next couple decades.

Old 01-24-2022, 02:35 AM

7,602 posts, read 3,260,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post
I haven’t seen any official announcements, but this would be massive news if true.

$100B+ capital investment in a single campus manufacturing project is astonishing.

For reference, the largest investment EVER in the automotive industry was Ford’s $11B announced investment in EV production across multiple states (KY and TN). So the Intel investment would be 10x that project, and centered entirely in the Columbus area.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...es/5879885001/

The sheer scale of this project (6-8 wafer Fabs), and the fact it’s on U.S. soil for intellectual property purposes, also tells me they’re likely to embed Technology Development Fab(s) in addition to high volume manufacturing (HVM) Fabs. This would put OH at the forefront of new semiconductor manufacturing technology development if my speculation is accurate.

OSU will be a big winner here. I would expect a pipeline of hundreds of technology professionals into Intel’s operations with local degrees. Comparatively, at Intel’s massive Oregon operations, they lacked a robust STEM focused university in the immediate Portland area to feed Intel’s staffing needs. Intel did make reference to the draw of a major university, in addition to affordable power, so no surprise.

I hope the reports are accurate.

it must be about future water source SlideRules99

Old 01-24-2022, 05:45 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,460,703 times
Everything everyone already menionted aside, I'm not doubting great eocnomic impact, but am I the only one that sees this creating some really ugly exurban sprawling developments in former farmland? Always makes me sad to keep losing these spaces.

Old 01-24-2022, 06:46 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,044,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Everything everyone already menionted aside, I'm not doubting great eocnomic impact, but am I the only one that sees this creating some really ugly exurban sprawling developments in former farmland? Always makes me sad to keep losing these spaces.
Yeah, going to be hard to keep that from happening. If the city planners are a bit visionary, they'll start a regional plan for additional park land, sidewalks, solid zoning and housing density. Of course the problem is, everybody wants that house on 2 acres in the country within a 5 min drive of work and restaurants. And when you have 1000s of people willing to pay for what they want - and a few developers that buy up all the land, its all about maximizing profits.

IMO, for Columbus to keep growing, it is going to have to solve the housing problem in a sustainable way, so that a guy making $70k can live in a decent neighborhood and send his kids to public schools. Its going to need parks and sidewalks. They've sold Columbus to Intel for now, the next problem is selling Columbus to 10000+ people that want that house+school+park dream at a price they can afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio