Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2023, 07:55 PM

679 posts, read 412,076 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS4BhI9G7-s

Not sure if this was watched by a large audience when it aired for the bicentennial of Ohio’s statehood, but I’d be really interested to get opinions from Ohioans in 2023 on the many points this documentary raises about Ohio and it’s enormous contribution and influence on American culture, politics and society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2023, 03:53 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy1918 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS4BhI9G7-s

Not sure if this was watched by a large audience when it aired for the bicentennial of Ohio’s statehood, but I’d be really interested to get opinions from Ohioans in 2023 on the many points this documentary raises about Ohio and it’s enormous contribution and influence on American culture, politics and society.
I have lived in Ohio for a decade. I was born and bread in NYC and the metropolitan area, and educated in New England. So that's my background.

Also, I only saw the first 10 -15 minutes of it, but it sounds accurate. Especially that "there are many different Ohios inside Ohio". That is very true.

The other thing is, this doc was made 20 years ago. Parts of Ohio, have become very "Trumpublican" and aggressive gerrymandering, has turned Ohio, "redder" than it once was.

I'll watch the entire documentary and let you know what I think.

Old 07-20-2023, 01:21 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have lived in Ohio for a decade. I was born and bread in NYC and the metropolitan area, and educated in New England. So that's my background.

Also, I only saw the first 10 -15 minutes of it, but it sounds accurate. Especially that "there are many different Ohios inside Ohio". That is very true.

The other thing is, this doc was made 20 years ago. Parts of Ohio, have become very "Trumpublican" and aggressive gerrymandering, has turned Ohio, "redder" than it once was.

Very Accurate...born and raised in Ohio and have lived in many places in this state. Also lived in NC, SC, and FL for a time before coming back.
I'll watch the whole thing tonight maybe but Sheena definitely describes Ohio accurately.

Old 07-21-2023, 05:15 AM

4,142 posts, read 3,054,676 times
I watched it. I would describe it as being pro-Ohio. Definitely not a hit piece.

Old 07-21-2023, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I watched it. I would describe it as being pro-Ohio. Definitely not a hit piece.
Interesting. Could you expand?

Old 07-21-2023, 08:42 AM

4,208 posts, read 4,457,265 times
Overall very good summary (economic, political, social). A microcosm of the country as a whole based upon when its greatest growth and development occurred. It has strong Chamber of Commerce feel talking up its achievements.

Native American expulsion, economic growth based on marine trade (Ohio River / Great Lakes Canals), mass immigration whether from Europe to the great migration of blacks from south for work in the factories around 1910 when industrial manufacturing was at its peak (employment wise). Ohio and many of its flourishing cities were the silicon valley of the nation from civil war to WW2 years.

Ohio's political importance on the national scale has waned with a fairly slow stagnant growth since 1980 (electoral weighting toward national elections). The plutocratic influence of today is reflected well in its Marcus Hanna "King maker" days of late 19th and early 20th century.

The importance of labor movement (unionization) and immigration as result of the inventiveness / commerce applications of industrialization and its resultant ethnic diversity. It is large enough to experience diversity of topography and the resultant settlements. SE has historically a Scotch/Irish/ English influence while North and West has more German. The mix of heavy industry in larger cities brought in large groups from Europe (Italians/ eastern European). There is still immigration in areas due to global displacements of past two decades (Balkans countries, Ukrainian, Syrians, Lebanese, etc... and countless others).

Since you have in interest in the history of Midwest region of USA, you may find the following interesting reads to sample life at different times in its development. Sherwood Anderson's, Winesburg, OH is a collection of short stories. Theodore Dreiser's novels capture an overall flavor of Midwest during its height of industrialization. Author Thomas Perry has a series Jane Whitfield, about a native American who helps people in trouble 'disappear', which does a nice job of showing native Americans of the great lakes region's cultural heritage.

Old 07-22-2023, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Did you get a chance to eventually watch it? If so, what are your thoughts?

Old 07-24-2023, 09:46 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Did you get a chance to eventually watch it? If so, what are your thoughts?
Yes, and I enjoyed it. I feel that it was well researched and enjoyable. However, this documentary was made in around 2003. Most of it still holds true, but some things have changed. Not only in Ohio, but in this country.

What has changed? The Trump brand of Republicanism. Moderate Republicans, who are fiscally conservative, but socially moderate to progressive are gone. Not only from Ohio, but from the country. The was instigated by Donald Trump, his tiresome and ridiculous questions about Obama's birth certificate, the ensuing Tea Party Movement, and what we have here in the US, today. Roe v Wade was all but overturned by the insane supreme court justices. Obama was not given a chance to appoint a Supreme Court Justice, and as usual, wimpy Democrats took it lying down. As usual.

We also have voter suppression and Gerrymandering that rivals some of the worst I have ever read about.

I have honestly met few Trump lovers here. I have met Hillary Haters, though. And with good reason, her husband and she pushed through NAFTA. I was NEVER for NAFTA and I knew the devastating effect on places such as Ohio. I knew running HRC against Trump was a mistake.

Mant of my NYS friends, from Buffalo to East Hampton, ask how I can live in such a "Red state". Honestly, I don't feel that I live in a "red state". Most of the people I've become friends with live in Cleveland or the surrounding area. They range from Progressive Democrats, Progressive Independents, Moderates Democrats and Moderate Independents.

I needed to digress to explain why Ohio has changed since the doc was made.

However, in some ways, if I were to choose a state that was most atypically, American, I would choose Ohio. Or it would be among the top 5.

My criteria would be -

1. Climate. Ohuo's climate has four seasons. American literature, folklore, and most important, 3/4 of the country, does not involve Palm trees, cactus, and deserts. Our four seasons are written in poetry and prose, and depicted in paintings. American art depicts all four seasons

2. We have a history that is largely free of the elitism in the Northeast and to my knowledge, our many excellent colleges and universities never had restrictions on the admission of Jewish students. The Ivys had a quota. Coretta Scott Kink, wife of the late Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King was a graduate of Antioch College, and was admitted as a African American and a woman. To my knowledge, there was never a need for women's colleges in Ohio. (please correct me if I am wrong)

3. Presidents and Astronauts! Pretty cool!

4. We have a Great Lake!

5. A diversity of people from various ethnic groups. So far this year I have attended a Greek, Slavic, and Italian festival.

6. Urban areas and agricultural areas. Also, thriving 1920s inner ring post WWII suburbs. Small towns with houses that are miles away, and apartments, townhouses and condominiums. Lots of new construction in Ohio, also.

7. An all American love of sports - from HS "Friday Night Lights" to Pro-teams, and the Universal Love of The Ohio State University, this is a state built on America's love of sports.

8. And America's love on our home grown music, ROCK and ROLL! We have the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame right here is Cleveland.

We all know about the presidents and astronauts who came from Ohio, and went to Washington DC - or left the earth, but how many of us know about how many know all of the rock-pop-soul artists to hail from the Buckeye State?

Here are some Tracey Champman, Marilyn Manson, The O.J.s, Chrissy Hynde, The Isley Brothers, Dean Martin, mt friend's The Dead Boys (I met them in NYC) Devo, ALL of THEM, Joe Walsh, Michael, Macy Grey.
The Black Keys, The Raspberries, Dave Grohl, Bobby Womack, Bootsie Collins (from Parlaiment Funkadelic) Mirium Lina and Lux Interior of The Cramps, Guided by Voices, The James Gang, Jim Brinkman (member of Meat Loaf's band, John Legend, The Ohio Players, Michael Feinstein, Nine Inch Nails and my friends (met in Manhattan) Anita Baker, Pere Ubu and Phil Keagy and 21 Pilots and the Nationals.

We are indeed a creative and diverse state!

Old 07-31-2023, 09:56 AM

Quote:
We are indeed a creative and diverse state!
It’s said to have two of the greatest high school football rivalries in the country as well, Massillon vs McKinley and Troy vs Piqua. Do you attend any of the games when they are played?

Old 08-25-2023, 02:01 AM

Quote:
It’s said to have two of the greatest high school football rivalries in the country as well, Massillon vs McKinley and Troy vs Piqua. Do you attend any of the games when they are played?
I really do have a bad habit of going off on tangents like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio