Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 12:34 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,208,600 times

Advertisements

Globetrotter, I can tell that you've had you're fill of Ohio - was wondering what part of Ohio do you live in? I live in NE Ohio - Akron/Cleveland area, actually about 20 miles south of Akron. Anyways, even though Columbus (the capital) might be run by a Democratic mayor, I think that Republican management has held a strong-hold on the Ohio government, as evidenced by 16 years of Republican management, and Bob Taft being found guilty of some improprieties while in office. Still the beat goes on...

Ohio does have E-Checks (for emission control standards), but not all counties do. My county does not. Surrounding counties do. Also, I can't speak to the supposition that Ohio is the capital of trailer parks and rednecks, as I've never done the math on that, but I suppose it's possible that it's the case in your area (again, I guess it all depends on where you live). How long have you been in Ohio? Where did you live prior? I've been in Ohio for 35+ years, and I have seen Ohio going down the tubes a bit as jobs have relocated out of state, and I've seen the cost of in-state public colleges sky-rocket. I also do agree that local taxes and property taxes are killer, and this can be evidenced by the school levies being put on the ballot at every election.

What can I say? No state is totally good or bad; I myself am looking for greener pastures, but mainly because I need a different attitude of people due to my business which I've been involved in for a number of years. I am a former public accountant; am in sales/marketing now, and while I've experienced limited success here, I see greener pastures elsewhere. Perhaps this might not happen elsewhere (greener pastures), I think it's worth a try.

Do you have any idea of where you might be relocating to in the future? Whatever you decide, I wish you the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2006, 01:37 PM

43 posts, read 172,239 times
Hi, Donna7. I live in Columbus, have all my life. Most of it is getting pretty icky, partially due to the increase of low-income housing in all areas. I live on the far east side, which was considered a very nice area once upon a time. With the increased crime - hence that low-income housing - people are leaving to the country, or nicer suburbs, like rats on a ship. The value of homes has maintained a steady and slow climb over the last twenty years. My parents bought their house in the early 1980's for 53k, and now it's worth only 85k.

The south and west sides of the city are where the notorious trailor parks and their residents reside. You can find cars on blocks, dogs on chains, lawns comprised of car parts, beer cans and trash, and families with about four teeth between them all. Kinda scary.

I certainly feel the republican grip on everything here in Ohio. I work for the state, and raises are very meager. Working for the state, though, is a whole different message board!

Yes, I am with you on the rise in college tuition. It appears there is no watch-dog howling at the moon over this. I am earning my education through an on-line program out of Iowa. I will never attend a brick and mortar institution again, as long as I can help it. Public education really stinks. Columbus Public Schools has laid off a large amount of teachers, as well as decreased the school day by an hour. How many hands are in the pot, anyway?

My husband and I enjoy mountains, and I love the ocean. We're thinking west coast, maybe Oregon or Washington. We both love the idea of Alaska. It's just so expensive! My field of work/study is in the legal industry. I'm flexible, so I think I could land a job just about anywhere.
We're not going anywhere until our kids are grown (9 and 4), so it's going to be a while. Until then, we can dream!

Old 09-29-2006, 05:31 AM

Hi Globetrotter, thanks for your response - I can understand where you're coming from. I think it's great that you're continuing to pursue your education online - I also take college classes now and then through a local community college (I have a B.S. in accounting, and have taken many post-bac classes, was going to go into nursing, got admitted into the nursing college, and found out that I hated the actual nursing clinicals, so I might go into education; I don't have too much time to waste though as I'm 43 years old now). Anyways, I'm sorry that you can't move to where you might enjoy like better, even though the kids are small. We also have children, they range in ages 22 down to 5, so I know how hard it is in not wanting to interrupt their life. I've been wanting to move since the oldest (22) was in high school, then I wanted to wait until the next one was finished with high school, and things still haven't changed as someone is always in college, or K-12 school. Perhaps after you're done with your studies, you might look again and perhaps the timing might be right to take a look at the states that might suit you better. I also like the states you've mentioned (excluding Alaska - LOL), but from what I understand it's an absolutely beautiful state. I hope that you find a place that suits your lifestyle/interests better as life is too short otherwise. I wish you the very best in the future!

Old 09-29-2006, 11:59 AM

43 posts, read 172,239 times
Hi, Donna7. It's refreshing to hear from another person who loves education.
Many people give me the wrinkled nose and "why?" when I tell them I'm furthering my studies. Motivation + education equals more money. Money isn't everything, but life sure is easier with an abundance of it! My education was interrupted by my first pregnancy. Life suddenly happened! Anyway, I want to teach my boys about determination and finding your way around obstacles. I took one accounting class and cried my way through it! Oh, I envy you! The boys have their grandparents they would sorely miss if we left now. Teaching them about education = success, then demonstrating self-centeredness would extend a rather strange example to them.

My husband is an outdoors, rough it, make his own tools, sleep under the stars, wrestle with bears kind of guy. When something in our house breaks, the man finds a way to fix it. He's a genius in that way. If the world as we know came to a screeching halt, he'd be the guy to befriend. Alaska calls to both of us. Our spirits would be at rest there.

Good luck with teaching. Ohio needs more of them! Just don't come to Columbus...LOL!

Old 09-29-2006, 01:16 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,852,343 times
Although I guess you could be worse off-- you could like in Houston or Detroit or Miami!

I would not put those 3 cities in the same sentence.

Detriot, yes, is bad. Crime, cold, downtown is dead...

Miami is full of foreign-born people, crime, but has a huge fashion/party scene.

Houston is a relatively nice city, large, lots of jobs, great restaurants, big medical and business scene, but gets lots of disrespect and an undeserved bad reputation.

I know from personal experience...

Old 09-29-2006, 01:25 PM

976 posts, read 3,864,097 times
Ohio first off has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the Midwest and Northeast and it keeps dropping. If you think Ohio is expensive check out the states in the NE, West and SE. They are all getting their fair share of problems. I left PA and im glad i did. Their taxes are some 4 to now 5 times higher than ours. Columbus, Cincinnati and Cleveland have been voted some of the best major metropolitan areas to live in. I have lived in Pittsburgh, Detroit (i hated it), Cleveland and now Cincinnati. I loved both Cleveland and Cincinnati. The economies are really doing good and the cites have so much energy. I am working my tail off here in Cincinnati. We have so many plans in the works for the downtown. The 42 million dollar Fountain Sq. renovation is almost complete. I was working very hard in Cleveland and even harder in Cincinnati. Just to give you and idea of how the cities are really starting to boom.

Old 09-29-2006, 02:59 PM

Globetrotter, thanks for sharing. You sound like a wonderful and caring mom; I do realize that parents make sacrifices for their children's happiness, and being around grandparents and those who can envelop them is absolutely critical in their formative years (and even later). I was fortunate that my mother was their for 20 years of my children's life, and the two older ones (22,20) knew her very well, the younger kids do as well; unfortunately, our youngest was 2 1/2 when my mom passed away in 2004. I really think it is a good thing that your kids are near their grandparents. As far as everything else, I do believe that you will know when it is time for the next chapter in your life, when it is time to close a chapter in Ohio, and start somewhere else. I've found that the best laid plans definitely often go astray as the poem says. I think it is absolutely great that you are going to school; I've found that a life-saver for me. I also know people who never went to school when they were younger, and still don't today when they are older. They never saw the value of investing in one's future. My husband and I married at 20 and 22, I put him through pharmacy school, I went back to school as he was finishing, and he put me through school after he became a pharmacist. We've done this back and forth thing for years; people that never understand the concept of working together, and working for something/investing in the future (education) - are still at the same point in their life. Unfortunately, I see a bit of this where I live, and I am drawn to areas of the country where there is perhaps a different mindset. Perhaps this ideal doesn't exist. Cost of living is not my only decision-making factor, I definitely am looking for lifestyle features, community, people. For now, Ohio is serving its purpose as the kids are doing well in school (they go to a Catholic parochial school) where there is only one class of each grade, and the same teachers who taught the older ones are now teaching the younger ones. Sorry for going on so long. I guess my point is that it helps to have a "gratitude-attitude" for the good things we do have, and when it is time for change, that will come too...all in good time. Again, I sincerely wish you and your family much happiness, health, and abundance in today and for the future.

Old 09-30-2006, 05:23 PM

123 posts, read 560,874 times
Simply put, I would not ever again "consider" Ohio, Toledo especially, even a remotely inhabitable place. To consider leaving is the only thing to do here. Like globetrotter, I have had my fill of Toledo, (and ohio, but mostly toledo), in three long years here, never again.

Old 09-30-2006, 11:36 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,742,845 times
I would forget Youngstown, you just don't want that environment. Way too much crime, too many problems, it ain't going to change.

My sister lives in the general area. They won't go to Youngstown without an armed guard. They never take me there.

Better choices if you want that general area might be Columbiana, Lisbon or Salem. That entire area has been hit a bit by the recent changes in the economy. The tax base has shrunk for most of those towns. Things are in a pinch as in many, many areas in the USA.

Like with all areas that have a decline, they turn around at some point. The cities of Wellsville and East Liverpool might be examples. Sort of hit bottom and improving a bit.

Youngstown is going to be a tough case. Who knows where the bottom might be. I doubt if you want to go for the ride down.

Old 10-17-2006, 02:39 PM

12 posts, read 46,571 times
Default Try Marietta, OH

I'm not really sure why everyone has been so negative about Ohio. I actually live (and have my whole life) right across the border from Marietta, OH, which is Williamstown, WV.
I don't know a whole lot about Youngstown or Oberlin, but if you're looking for a quiet town, try Marietta. The people there are very friendly. There is a gorgeous historical side to the town with older victorian houses and brick streets. If you're in to the artsy scene, there are some places that cater to that as well. There are actually a few organic foods stores in the area too. The pollution in this town isn't too bad since it's a smaller town. Even though it's no metropolis, there are still plenty of places to shop and a lot of good restaurants to eat at, unlike Youngstown. There are many smaller restaraunts, a few really good Mexican places, many of the name restaraunts (Applebees, etc.) as well as several fast food places. There are also a few shopping plazas, several drug stores. There is a mall in Parkersburg, WV which is about a 15 minute drive south.
Also the crime in the area is very low. Overall, the people here are very kind and friendly. Don't let those that live in the big cities and hate it ruin your thought about Ohio.
It is also right along the Ohio river, so that brings many opportunities too- boating, fishing... also a lot of beautiful countryside in the area too. Marietta does have the sports scene going on, but mainly just high school and theyre not obsessed with it, just very supportive. People in this area are supportive of their local schools which makes the communities around here rather close knit.
I strongly suggest coming to visit the area to get the full view. I was born and raised in this area and wouldn't change that for anything. If I can help you out with anything else, just let me know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio