Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2013, 10:33 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,911,530 times

Advertisements

Not sure why the fascination is weird. Especially since it's apparently so controversial...who knew? Though judging by the poll, it's more like a very vocal minority is saying Cleveland is not Midwest than the topic actually being controversial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 05:51 AM

11,076 posts, read 12,484,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
Not sure why the fascination is weird. Especially since it's apparently so controversial...who knew? Though judging by the poll, it's more like a very vocal minority is saying Cleveland is not Midwest than the topic actually being controversial.
What poll?

Old 03-06-2013, 12:57 PM

This poll:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...ast-coast.html

Old 03-06-2013, 01:07 PM

11,076 posts, read 12,484,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
That's a terrible poll. I don't think anyone considers Cleveland the northeast. My point is that midwest is not accurate in terms of culture, i.e. more similar cities are not necessarily "midwestern." Northeast is also inaccurate. I agree with neither. And why would you ask a whole bunch of people who know nothing about Cleveland (general US forum). The Clevelanders are the ones who actually know what they're talking about.

Great Lakes, people! Great Lakes!

P.S. I think it's really weird that BajanYankee is so obsessed with labeling us. That's what, his 3rd thread about what people think Cleveland is?

Old 07-08-2013, 01:38 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,147,048 times
I cringe and than shake my head with such embarassment for those people in Cleveland who say that Cleveland is the East Coast or like the Northeast. To begin, I lived in Cleveland for several years. I know exactly why people in Cleveland try to propose this ridiculous belief. 1) Cleveland has been made fun of for many years, and many people in Cleveland are proud of their city. There is this feeling among some of these fools that if they say that Cleveland is a Northeastern City or a city on the East Coast, somehow it becomes this progressive hip city. Secondly, people in Cleveland, just like other people in other Midwestern/Great Lake cities, have an inferiority complex with Chicago. By claiming it is a Northeastern city, Cleveland can somehow escape the shadow of Chicago's greatness. Well, good luck competing with Boston and New York. And yes, Cleveland has plenty to be proud of without looking at other cities. But the fact remains, that trying to make Cleveland a Northeastern or East Coast city is exactly that...looking at the East Coast as higher in culture and wanting the rest of the US to think that Cleveland is part of that. No, sorry, the bottom line is that Buffalo which is even further East is Midwestern in feeling. Clevelanders are pizza eating, beer drinking, mid-west accent speaking, obese, sports crazed people just like all the rest of us in the Great Lakes/Midwest area. So get over this bull. Truly, you have no idea how people will burst out in laughter if they hear "did you know, Cleveland is an East Coast City?" Or "Did you know, Cleveland is a Northeastern City?" I actually said that to a friend the other day, and the response was...'BiXXX please, they ain't anymore East Coast as mush as St. Louis is the West Coast. And besides, it is only people in Cleveland who try to claim this farce. YOU ARE MIDWESTERN! YOU AIN'T NO BOSTON, NEW YORK, PHILADELPHIA....get over it..I consider Cleveland my second home and I hate people with their embarassing statements that only make more people poke fun at it. Please!

Last edited by Republic of Michigan; 07-08-2013 at 01:48 PM..

Old 07-08-2013, 02:18 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,031,251 times
^^ HAHAHA! (Oh, well there goes fantasy and the neighborhood both...) Need I say more?

Old 07-08-2013, 02:20 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,031,251 times
^ HAHAHA! (Oh well--there goes the fantasy and the neighborhood both...) Need I say more?

Old 07-09-2013, 06:37 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,555,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
I cringe and than shake my head with such embarassment for those people in Cleveland who say that Cleveland is the East Coast or like the Northeast. To begin, I lived in Cleveland for several years. I know exactly why people in Cleveland try to propose this ridiculous belief. 1) Cleveland has been made fun of for many years, and many people in Cleveland are proud of their city. There is this feeling among some of these fools that if they say that Cleveland is a Northeastern City or a city on the East Coast, somehow it becomes this progressive hip city. Secondly, people in Cleveland, just like other people in other Midwestern/Great Lake cities, have an inferiority complex with Chicago. By claiming it is a Northeastern city, Cleveland can somehow escape the shadow of Chicago's greatness. Well, good luck competing with Boston and New York. And yes, Cleveland has plenty to be proud of without looking at other cities. But the fact remains, that trying to make Cleveland a Northeastern or East Coast city is exactly that...looking at the East Coast as higher in culture and wanting the rest of the US to think that Cleveland is part of that. No, sorry, the bottom line is that Buffalo which is even further East is Midwestern in feeling. Clevelanders are pizza eating, beer drinking, mid-west accent speaking, obese, sports crazed people just like all the rest of us in the Great Lakes/Midwest area. So get over this bull. Truly, you have no idea how people will burst out in laughter if they hear "did you know, Cleveland is an East Coast City?" Or "Did you know, Cleveland is a Northeastern City?" I actually said that to a friend the other day, and the response was...'BiXXX please, they ain't anymore East Coast as mush as St. Louis is the West Coast. And besides, it is only people in Cleveland who try to claim this farce. YOU ARE MIDWESTERN! YOU AIN'T NO BOSTON, NEW YORK, PHILADELPHIA....get over it..I consider Cleveland my second home and I hate people with their embarassing statements that only make more people poke fun at it. Please!
Well the truth is a pretty huge chunk of the Northeast culturally fits in better with the Midwest and upper Appalachia.

A lot of upstate NY and PA in particular are almost nothing like their more popular regions near Jersey. Frankly I have grown tired of the distinction between the two entirely. I just call the Northeast and Midwest "The north".

Old 07-09-2013, 07:03 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,185,637 times
When I lived in Califas everything east of the Rockies, maybe the Great Plains, was "back East"....In fact that term is almost a Westernism....never heard it used in Chicago or Kentucky.....

Old 07-09-2013, 08:24 AM

I think it is a "Westernism". It sounds really weird to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio