Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 09:35 AM

914 posts, read 1,984,280 times

Advertisements

You know it's bad when Columbus is the highlight of your state's economy. It may be the best economy in the state, but compared to Southern or Western cities population and economic growth is pretty anemic. Compare Columbus' population growth to metro Nashville, Charlotte, Tampa, Denver, Phoenix, Atlanta, Charleston, or the Triangle among others. The whole state of Ohio has an economy that is tanking when compared to other areas of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 09:39 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,437,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_Hey View Post
You know it's bad when Columbus is the highlight of your state's economy. It may be the best economy in the state, but compared to Southern or Western cities population and economic growth is pretty anemic. Compare Columbus' population growth to metro Nashville, Charlotte, Tampa, Denver, Phoenix, Atlanta, Charleston, or the Triangle among others. The whole state of Ohio has an economy that is tanking when compared to other areas of the country.
And what State do you reside in?

Old 08-04-2008, 10:33 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,028,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_Hey View Post
At least we native Ohioans can take pride in that Michigan's economy is doing even worse! I am a little fearful for Charlotte's economy long-term though, they've had such drastic growth and rely so heavily on the financial sector (Bank of America, Wachovia, etc.) that unless things get better in the financial markets, it could get ugly there.

The other factor to Columbus' moderate growth, is that most of it is just people moving from other areas of Ohio b/c the job market in those regions is so bad. Where the aforementioned cities(Nashville, Charlotte, etc.) are getting people moving there from all over the country to fuel their growth.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
At least we native Ohioans can take pride in that Michigan's economy is doing even worse! I am a little fearful for Charlotte's economy long-term though, they've had such drastic growth and rely so heavily on the financial sector (Bank of America, Wachovia, etc.) that unless things get better in the financial markets, it could get ugly there.

The other factor to Columbus' moderate growth, is that most of it is just people moving from other areas of Ohio b/c the job market in those regions is so bad. Where the aforementioned cities(Nashville, Charlotte, etc.) are getting people moving there from all over the country to fuel their growth.
As a Native Ohioan, I agree with you. We will be relocating to Southern or Southestern Ohio later this month from Alaska. As far as growth, where we live in Alaska the what was once a smaller type city has now grown and has box stores galore (Target, Walmart, soon Costco), and lots of people from all over. Traffic and crime has increased (crime no where near what major cities have), but as the city continues to grow, unfortunately that will come. People come here thinking this is the land of milk & honey, only to find that there are problems here also.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:45 AM

799 posts, read 2,169,324 times
I am a native Ohioan but I spent time in Indiana for a few years. I relocated to Arizona for a job, and I will tell you, it is cutthroat out here. Within a few months, my job was given to a coworker's husband.
I really feel bad for what has happened to Ohio, but it isn't much better here. All the talk that the southwest is so great for jobs is just talk. I haven't found another job yet, and now I am so far from family, too.
Hey, and you guys have trees. We have these fake imposters that are bushes that they prune the lower branches and brace them up.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:32 AM

422 posts, read 1,271,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
I am a native Ohioan but I spent time in Indiana for a few years. I relocated to Arizona for a job, and I will tell you, it is cutthroat out here. Within a few months, my job was given to a coworker's husband.
I really feel bad for what has happened to Ohio, but it isn't much better here. All the talk that the southwest is so great for jobs is just talk. I haven't found another job yet, and now I am so far from family, too.
Hey, and you guys have trees. We have these fake imposters that are bushes that they prune the lower branches and brace them up.
I'm a native Ohioan also. Where in AZ do you live? I found a great job here. Maybe the slump in the nationwide economy is negatively affecting your job hunting........as far as, the trees are concerned I have a few 40-50 footers on my property, can't hardly call them bushes....LOL....and they are growing like weeds about 3 feet a year!

Old 08-05-2008, 07:00 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,377,645 times
Yeah, out here in Colorado, I have a plethora of jobs to chose from in my field. If I quit today, I'd be working somewhere else tomorrow.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Yeah, out here in Colorado, I have a plethora of jobs to chose from in my field. If I quit today, I'd be working somewhere else tomorrow.
What line of work are you in?

Old 08-06-2008, 07:17 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,028,142 times
This article confirms what most in this and other Ohio forums have been saying for a while now.

America's Fastest-Dying Cities - Forbes.com (http://www.forbes.com/business/2008/08/04/economy-ohio-michigan-biz_cx_jz_0805dying.html - broken link)

On the bright side, you can only go up from here Canton, Youngstown, Cleveland & Dayton.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:42 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
On the bright side, you can only go up from here Canton, Youngstown, Cleveland & Dayton.
From my perspective, Youngstown, at least, is already headed in that direction. And, from what I've read, Cleveland is also starting their upward journey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio