Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 03:47 PM

56 posts, read 113,059 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am sooo glad that I found this website! How great!

I live in Florida and my brother and his family have lived in Medina, OH for a few years and I am now contemplating moving there!
I really would like to spend more time with my niece and nephew.

Living in Florida, I have to decide if I could handle the winters up there (am originally from Niagara Falls, NY, but moved south a long time ago!)
I also need to take a look at the availability of jobs there or in the surrounding area. I will look at Akron and Cleveland; looks like Akron would be closer, which would be a factor in the winter, right?

Any suggestions on questions to ask myself about making a major move like this?

We are currently in hurricane season, just made it through Fay, which was really tough on a lot of people, and I am tired of the dread of the season every year!

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 07:49 PM

100 posts, read 363,416 times
hmmm, good jobs are hard to come by in Ohio. My daughter lives in North Central Ohio and was laid off last year from a decent paying job and has yet been able to find a good job other than fast food. She moved from Florida to Ohio a couple years ago and has yet been able to get use to the cold winter weather. She can't wait to get out of Ohio. best of luck.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:24 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,441,819 times
[quote=GAL13;5020620]Hi, I am sooo glad that I found this website! How great!

I live in Florida and my brother and his family have lived in Medina, OH for a few years and I am now contemplating moving there!
I really would like to spend more time with my niece and nephew.

Living in Florida, I have to decide if I could handle the winters up there (am originally from Niagara Falls, NY, but moved south a long time ago!)
I also need to take a look at the availability of jobs there or in the surrounding area. I will look at Akron and Cleveland; looks like Akron would be closer, which would be a factor in the winter, right?

Any suggestions on questions to ask myself about making a major move like this?

We are currently in hurricane season, just made it through Fay, which was really tough on a lot of people, and I am tired of the dread of the season every year!

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

What kind of work do you do? Alot will depend upon that.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:23 AM

Thank you for the input.

My career has been pretty diverse!
I have 13 years experience working for defense contractors, on a US Navy base
in the Bahamas and at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, where I had a Secret
Security Clearance.

I also have a Masters Degree in Counseling: Marriage and Family Therapy and a Bachelors Degree in Criminal Justice: Juvenile Corrections, with years of experience
working with troubled youth.

Thank you so much for asking!
Any career hints would be greatly appreciated!

Old 08-28-2008, 01:45 PM

436 posts, read 1,648,759 times
Geez, you guys, the snow up here isnt always that bad - don't scare her to death.

Medina is a nice area. Safe, lots of shopping, good schools. Its probably a 30 minute drive to Akron. Just based on distance and traffic - I would say Akron is a better bet.
And no, Im not saying that because I live in Akron. I used to live in Brunswick (which is Medina's neighbor to the north) and would make drives to Cleveland randomly - I would hate to have to have done it every day for a job. I've lived in Akron for basically 10 years now and I drive back to Brunswick to visit my parents.
Some of my friends live in Medina, whom I also visit. Easy drive - 30 minutes.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:06 PM

Default Thanks so much!

Hi, thank you so much! That is good to hear.
My sister-in-law drives from Medina to the east side of Cleveland everyday for work and sometimes it takes her an hour!
I would rather not do that so that is why I was looking at Akron.
Good to hear that you like Akron, I have read mixed reviews!

I do want to live in Medina to be close to them and to see the kids' sporting events; I have missed a lot of them living in FL! So, at this point in my life, I am asking myself if I could trade in the beach for change of seasons (which I really miss) and whether I could handle the winters in order to live closer to my family.

It is so good to hear from people who live around there. I know that my brother is very impressed with the area, we are from Niagara Falls, NY; they lived in Strongsville for quite awhile and when it came time to buy a house they found they could get more for their money in Medina County.

I mentioned my career background in a previous post. I am also interested in spiritual and metaphysical studies and there seems to be a bit of that there. Also saw that the Single Volunteers meet in Strongsville, which is great!

So far there are lots of things getting listed in the "pros" column and cold winters is the only thing in the "cons" column!

Thank you again. Love to hear from others.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:26 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,906,552 times
Yes, Ohio is not as bad as other make it out to be. They just had a bad experience here, and expect the same thing for people moving here.

I have family from West Palm that just left Florida and now live in Columbus. They love it there. It has a great job market, the schools are a lot better than Florida's, the crime is lower, and the living standards are better. Also, the housing market sucks all over the country, but Ohio's is better than Florida's.

Ohio is also a much cheaper state to live in. I couldn't believe the taxes in Florida. It was crazy.

Also, about the job market. Jobs are tough to come by in any state. It depends on how much you apply yourself in getting that job. You must know what you are doing. One is not going to fall out of the sky no matter where you live. Just to give you a insight on a personal level, I am finishing up on my masters in urban planning, I have already been offered 3 jobs here in Ohio at one Cleveland based firm, and two Columbus based firms.

The winters are not that bad, a lot of the times the snow can be nice, and the roads get cleared here really fast, esp in NE Ohio. And it is nice to have the change of seasons.

Hope this helps:
Medina City Home (http://www.medinaoh.org/dynamic/default.aspx - broken link)

Old 08-28-2008, 05:47 PM

That's what I like to hear.......optimism!
Also great to hear of Florida transplants who are happy they moved to Ohio!

It sure would be nice to have change of seasons again! Right now it is so hot and humid and our area was just flooded really bad with Tropical Storm Fay and then we saw Gustav, who turned and may be threatening New Orleans and today they told us about Hurricane Hanna out there, looking like she may be headed this way; I live on the east coast of Florida.

I am getting tired of the anxiety each season! 2004 was the worst ever!
So I am wondering if it would be easier dealing with snow storms!
Seems like it is only really bad in January and February, right?

Thank you so much for your input!

Old 08-29-2008, 06:30 AM

436 posts, read 1,648,759 times
I would say Jan/Feb altho sometimes we can get a killer snowstorm (figuratively speaking) in March, such as the one we had last year.
Once I get back from Columbus (going to the first OSU game of the year!!!!) I will post the pics of the March '08 snowstorm in my album. I had them up on a post, but dummy me went and deleted my attachments and it went and cleared all the pics from all of my prior posts.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:05 AM

8 posts, read 25,580 times
I live in Medina Ohio and I am moving to Florida! Personally I do not like Medina. There is nothing to do in Medina Ohio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio