Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2011, 07:34 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,982,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickolaseposter View Post
I'm not trying to pick favorites at all. I feel all of our cities have great assets. As someone from Dayton, here is my outside perspective: Cincinnati is seeing a Renaissance. Its very clear. The last time Cleveland saw a new tallest tower was in the early 90s. It's twenty years later. Cincinnati just got their new tallest building, in 2011. And I'm not just going off of the infrastructure. If you look at all of the recent developments, its clear that Cincinnati has a much more advanced plan. I'm not saying Cleveland doesn't have the plans. But Cincinnati is ahead. The massive Banks project (comparable to what is Cleveland's Flats in some respects) is already partly finished and underway. The entire waterfront is extremely developed and friendly feeling. The new Grand American Tower sits glistening bright and beautiful at night near the riverfront. The new streetcar system as well as transportation hubs have alll been renovated. When I'm in downtown Cleveland, there are some cool spots. But let me reiterate- spots. The overall presense of downtown Cleveland is sorta blah. Downtown Cincinnati is covered with Starbucks, high-end restaurants, clothing stores like Saks Fifth and MAcy's and Tiffany's.
Wow, Starbucks, that would be cool if it were 1994.

Downtown Cleveland has five Starbucks to downtown Cincinnati's three, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 07:40 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,179,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austiNati View Post
I understand that people from Cleveland are proud of their town, and I'm not gonna lie, it's a decent place and I've met ALOT of cool people there. But to say Cincy isn't expiriencing a renaissance is a sign of denial. I've lived here my entire life (almost 25 years) and I've NEVER seen this much development at such a large scale all throughout the city. UC is apporaching 35,000 Students, people are flocking downtown and otr in droves. This is best shape this city has been in for decades. I'm sure Cleveland will eventually rebound to, but Cincy has a vision we are determined to reach and we're not letting anyone slow down our progress, not even the "crazy conservatives"
Good. I'm glad you're happy about what's happening in your city. However, I'm pretty sure you aren't quite up to date with what has been happening around Cleveland.

Quote:
And no, Cleveland doesn't have the 3 tallest anymore, just 2. Plus, all that height is kind of disproportionate with your downtown, and it kind of throws the skyline off. But with that said, Terminal Tower>>>>>>>>>>Carew Tower and PNC Bank.
Well, that's a matter of opinion on both fronts. If you count a spire or an excessive roof structure that is entirely useless and stretches a mere 0.6m higher than a fully functional roofline as being truly taller, so be it. But, basically, Cincy's tallest (which just opened) is only technically about 2 feet taller than Clevelands 3rd tallest because of a useless roof structure. Yet, it has 5 fewer floors.

I think Cleveland's skyline looks fine. A few more buildings might be nice, but saying it looks disproportionate is merely subjective and also greatly depends on the angle you're looking at it from...just like Cincy's.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:46 PM

860 posts, read 1,358,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Good. I'm glad you're happy about what's happening in your city. However, I'm pretty sure you aren't quite up to date with what has been happening around Cleveland.
I am actually very very very interested in what Cleveland has in store, Columbus as well. I really don't know where to find much info on Cleveland development outside of urbanohio's website. Do they have anything planned for the lakefront? What other projects are going on around town. A while back, I heard there was a HUGE brownfield that was going to be redeveloped into residential and retail space, but I don't know what part of town it's in.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:56 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,634,642 times
I think SW Ohioans and NE Ohioans have no clue really what is happening in both cities. But they should know that it is a great time in both, and they have billions worth of projects going on right now.

Ohioans are such an odd bunch. I never understood why you guys hate eachother so bad. Instead, you could all be working together to make Ohio so much better to live in.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:41 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,071,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
I think SW Ohioans and NE Ohioans have no clue really what is happening in both cities. But they should know that it is a great time in both, and they have billions worth of projects going on right now.

Ohioans are such an odd bunch. I never understood why you guys hate eachother so bad. Instead, you could all be working together to make Ohio so much better to live in.
Honestly I have never encountered this anywhere else but here. I have no problem with any other city. In fact, I usually have to defend the state far more than I do individual cities. For some reason, there are just certain posters here who take homerism to the point of insulting every other place. I like Cleveland a lot. I saw the list of development going on there and that's great. At the same time, I don't know why some people there just plain refuse to recognize achievements elsewhere. It comes across as extremely arrogant.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:26 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,471,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Honestly I have never encountered this anywhere else but here. I have no problem with any other city. In fact, I usually have to defend the state far more than I do individual cities. For some reason, there are just certain posters here who take homerism to the point of insulting every other place. I like Cleveland a lot. I saw the list of development going on there and that's great. At the same time, I don't know why some people there just plain refuse to recognize achievements elsewhere. It comes across as extremely arrogant.
Clearly you haven't spent much time in California.

I love Cincinnati and Cleveland.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Clearly you haven't spent much time in California.

I love Cincinnati and Cleveland.
I meant I haven't encounted situations in Ohio where residents bash each others' cities.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
I think your own personal bias is coloring how you view this conversation. I think Cincinnati, Columbus, and Cleveland are all fine, very different, underrated cities that all bring something to the table. There are only a few other states in the country that have three or more nice big cities like Ohio, we should consider ourselves fortunate.
Come on, almost no one has complimented Columbus on anything without prefacing it with something that takes away its legitimacy.

"Columbus is nice, but it's nothing but sprawl."
"Columbus has state government, otherwise it would be nothing."
"Columbus has OSU, but nothing else."
"Columbus is growing, but at the expense of taxpayers in Cleveland."

This is not just personal bias. Sure, I do like Columbus the most, it's my hometown, but I'm not simply imagining this, sorry.

And yes, I do consider myself fortunate, not only to be from a great state, but also a great city. I honestly believe that bothers some of you.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
I have nothing against Columbus and usually explain to people that it's more than just OSU football. On the other hand I do not hype the place as some great boom-town either.
I missed this post before. It's sad that even Ohioans (or ex-Ohioans) don't bother to promote the state or cities. I have lived outside of Ohio as well, and I continued to defend and promote the state whenever the occasion arose. There seems to be a general lack of knowledge on just how important the state is historically and even now, being one of the largest economies in the country. I'm going to hype it whenever I can. The state deserves more than "meh."

Old 03-04-2011, 02:08 AM

4,669 posts, read 4,982,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Come on, almost no one has complimented Columbus on anything without prefacing it with something that takes away its legitimacy.

"Columbus is nice, but it's nothing but sprawl."
"Columbus has state government, otherwise it would be nothing."
"Columbus has OSU, but nothing else."
"Columbus is growing, but at the expense of taxpayers in Cleveland."

This is not just personal bias. Sure, I do like Columbus the most, it's my hometown, but I'm not simply imagining this, sorry.

And yes, I do consider myself fortunate, not only to be from a great state, but also a great city. I honestly believe that bothers some of you.
I don't know what else there is to say -- you have a giant chip on your shoulder about Columbus and have a tendency to troll, and many of the Cleveland folks who post here are quite insecure about Cleveland and have an utter inability to resist feeding trolls. We're 21 pages in. We're clearly not going to get beyond that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio