Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2007, 12:24 PM

8 posts, read 26,282 times

Advertisements

Anyone, any feedback?

Thanks!

Kim & Kids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 02:46 PM

21 posts, read 101,606 times
I loved living in West Manchester: my grandparents had a home there and I spent my summers there before moving permanently in 1994. But unless you have a job that will allow you to take off at will, such as working from home, the winters can be harsh. Darke Co./Preble Co. rural roads are not cleared well, and if you're working in another town/city (which you would just about HAVE to) it makes it difficult to get around in the winter. The ice storms can be severe, too.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:39 AM

8 posts, read 26,282 times
Thanks for taking the time to reply!

What did you like best about the town? What was the worst?

I'm assuming you were young when you went (and my kids are now) so I'm interested in your perspective from that time.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:18 AM

21 posts, read 101,606 times
Well, I was young when I spent the summers there, but I loved it. Fortunately at that time there were a lot of kids my age in the area. When I lived there in '94 in my mid-20's it was too slow for me. I wish I had stayed: the area is wonderful for raising kids if you're looking for a slow-paced life. One of the nice things about the area is the people take the time to get to know you. There isn't that "they weren't born here...they're out-of-towners" mentality (kind of like rural Kentucky...where I moved to after leaving OH.) The people are very friendly and helpful. I'm not sure if your kids would be in Preble Co. schools or Darke Co. I only have experience with Arcanum schools in that area...but they were really good schools. The teachers are very helpful. The only problem I had with West Manchester is driving everywhere. I had to work in Dayton, and it was such a bad commute. Driving around the area itself, even from West Manchester to Englewood, isn't a big deal: it was actually always a relaxing drive for me. But once you get into rush hour traffic in Dayton...UGH!! It seemed like I was late EVERYDAY because of accidents. No matter what roads I took. For me, that was the only reason for leaving the area: I moved to Fairborn to cut my commute. If I could work in the area, I wouldn't hesitate to move back. In fact, I wish I could have my grandparents' house back. That would be heaven to me!

Old 05-18-2007, 02:35 PM

23 posts, read 97,525 times
The village of West Manchester kids attend National Trail School. It has a post office, bank. fire department, couple places to eat, library, car show and village yard sales each year, barber shop. a park and a Legon. Sits between Dayton, Oh and Richmond, Ind. Just north of Rt. 70 and Rt. 40.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio