Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 02:12 AM

17 posts, read 52,609 times

Advertisements

Were looking for a small town (maybe 7000 or more) with a good quality of life, access to jobs, decent schools & a nice community, we would need to have some land for our horses too.

We love where we live now but want to get out of Southern California, the town we live in is western themed & people ride their horses everywhere, horse events in town & there are horse trails instead of side walks through the whole city.

Is there anywhere kinda like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 08:50 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,767,984 times
There's lots of horse events in Oklahoma City, but its hardly the size you are looking for. I am not personally aware of any places where people just ride their horses around town all the time, though I did see an old guy going through the drive-thru at McDonalds on a horse just a couple of weeks ago.
There are lots of small towns around the OKC area that are more rural, where people do have horses. Heck, there are people in OKC proper that have horses. But I don't know of any places with horse trails.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:23 PM

18 posts, read 52,418 times
We live in Yukon, in a horse friendly neighborhood...we have 6 acres but there are up to 10 acre lots and people ride up and down the roads all around us. Many of the roads surrounding our neighborhood are still dirt/gravel, although ours is paved and the road to our neighborhood is paved. Houses are large in here though, 3000 sq ft plus and of course cost of living is lower than what you'd be expecting, about $115 a sq foot new. There are lots for sale in our neighborhood, our horses are in our backyard and actually this used to be a thoroughbred farm, so each lot is read with well pump for water, run in shed and pipe/cable fencing. Just build a house and you're good to go. Schools are blue ribbon. email me if you want pictures or more info. canscrap4u2@gmail.com

Old 09-23-2010, 10:48 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,697,869 times
Piedmont. Active roundup club. I see people out riding horse all the time when I am there. But seriously you should just stay in California. I've seen too many people from California move to other states and then try to bring their "attitudes" with them about how things should be. Probably be better off where you are as your already trying to "find" what you have there in some other location. It ain't gonna happen anywhere. If it's all that then you should just stay there.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:27 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,510,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Piedmont. Active roundup club. I see people out riding horse all the time when I am there. But seriously you should just stay in California. I've seen too many people from California move to other states and then try to bring their "attitudes" with them about how things should be. Probably be better off where you are as your already trying to "find" what you have there in some other location. It ain't gonna happen anywhere. If it's all that then you should just stay there.
Pretty good insights StiffNecked. I agree that transplants (especially when they're moving from one divergent culture to another) should always consider the ramifications before moving and getting in a situation that they're even more disgruntled in.....been there and done that myself.

It ain't worth it and the grass ain't always greener.

As to the OP, I hope things work out for ya'll.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:32 AM

593 posts, read 1,795,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Don't start that crap, Stiffneck! My husband just got a job in Oklahoma and I will be joining him as soon as our home sells here in CALIFORNIA. I get so fed up with people making rude comments about us Californians I could scream. I've read many nasty comments about us on different state forums on this site.

For your information, most Californians are here because their parents moved here in the 30's..40's..and 50's from other states. The street I grew up on each neighbor was from out of state. My parents moved here from Arkansas.

Bring our attitudes? Is that another way of meaning "bring our California ways to your state?"....I've heard that quite a bit and laugh.

I eat fried okra and I know what redeye gravy is...Just many dishes prepared for me by my Arkie Mom

Old 09-24-2010, 06:33 AM

593 posts, read 1,795,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rericha View Post
Were looking for a small town (maybe 7000 or more) with a good quality of life, access to jobs, decent schools & a nice community, we would need to have some land for our horses too.

We love where we live now but want to get out of Southern California, the town we live in is western themed & people ride their horses everywhere, horse events in town & there are horse trails instead of side walks through the whole city.

Is there anywhere kinda like this?
It sounds like you're describing NORCO....

Old 09-24-2010, 06:41 AM

533 posts, read 1,711,646 times
I checked Wikipedia and found this article:
Horse Community - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and NORCO, CA is one example. The article says that a Kansas State thesis examined 22 such communities.

I do not recall anything exactly like what is described around the Oklahoma City area.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:51 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,988,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Eyes View Post
.............I get so fed up with people making rude comments about us Californians I could scream. I've read many nasty comments about us on different state forums on this site.
I don't recall making any rude or nasty comments towards people from California, but that is probably because I haven't had much of an opportunity. Don't feel neglected, I am sure I will get to it soon enough. Right now I am too busy targeting Kansas graduates that think they have a "right" to judge Bob Stoops..............
Quote:
For your information, most Californians are here because their parents moved here in the 30's..40's..and 50's from other states.
Couldn't handle a little dust and had to run away, eh?
Quote:
My parents moved here from Arkansas.
Seems to me you ought to hang your head a little when you say that.....maybe scuff your toe.........there wasn't anywhere near enough shame in the way you said that........
Quote:
Bring our attitudes? Is that another way of meaning "bring our California ways to your state?"....I've heard that quite a bit and laugh.
Hey, if it involves California girls, bring them on......we have lots of beautiful women in Oklahoma, but a few more will always be welcome.
Quote:
I eat fried okra and I know what redeye gravy is...Just many dishes prepared for me by my Arkie Mom
Eatin' good food is eatin' good food, regardless of where it's from......doesn't make you an Okie just because you like a chicken fried steak, any more than it makes me Japanese when I eat sashimi......

Old 09-24-2010, 10:01 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,988,837 times
for the OP.......Oklahoma has more horses per capita than any other state. You might say we are pretty horse tolerant. None of the towns here, that I know of, have dedicated lanes for horses or hitching rails in front of the saloons or dollar general. On the other hand you can pretty much ride where you please, in most communities both close to the metro areas and in the small towns. Don't expect an Okie to act all touristy when you are out riding, though. A large number of us either own or have owned horses and unless you have a pretty impressive nag you won't warrant a second glance except to make sure yours isn't skittish and liable to jump in front of our pickup truck.

One word of caution......don't neglect your animals if you are running short on money. It will get you talked about at the local feed store and in church. People tend to frown on that sort of thing. If you can't afford to take care of your animals, find them a home where they are taken care of. If your situation is temporary, ask around. There are a lot of us that will kick in a bale or two of hay should the need be there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City