Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2010, 01:02 AM

4 posts, read 9,944 times

Advertisements

My husband will be working in Oklahoma City for 6 months, and after that we will decide if we want to make it our permanent home. We are from Oregon and have 3 kids, two boys (14 and 11) and a girl (7). This is a huge decision for us since we are Oregon natives, but I'm looking forward to a change and getting out of this overpriced and rainy state.
Can anyone give me any info about nice places to live in Oklahoma City, safer neighborhoods than others, good schools, etc. My husband works near Edmond, but I have heard that it's more expensive out that direction.
I'm interested in hearing about schools especially, since our schools here in Oregon are in a budget crisis and have cut virtually all extra programs such as music and PE, and they are closing schools like crazy and having to lay off teachers! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 01:23 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Edmond is great for low crime.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:26 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
Edmond home prices may be a slight bit higher than some of the other areas, but not much. It's a very nice area with excellent schools. Edmond schools are well funded, and I believe the voters in Edmond have never voted down a school bond election. My guess is, compared to the high cost of living in Oregon, you will be pleasantly surprised at what you can get for your money in Edmond. Edmond also has one of the lowest, if not the lowest, sales tax rate in the area. I personally think it's one of the prettiest areas of the metro as well, especially on the eastern side, near I-35.

Moore and Norman are also known for having good schools and some very nice neighborhoods. But those would be a bit of a commute to Edmond every day.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:29 AM

4 posts, read 9,944 times
Thank you. That is very helpful. Sales tax will definitely be something I'll have to get used to since we don't have it here in Oregon. Although I definitely won't miss giving the state a large chunk of my paycheck in April! I'm excited to move but it's hard to leave all our friends. My kids have played sports with the same kids since they were little. Are there good sports programs there such as baseball, basketball and football? Are the sports programs through the schools or through private leagues? I have a 6th grader, a 10th grader and a 2nd grader.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:07 AM

259 posts, read 1,072,996 times
I agree, coming from Oregon, housing prices in Edmond should be reasonable. A newer 3 bed/2 bath home will be anywhere from $125k-200k, depending on how updated it is/custom features.
I think the terrain here will be a shocker coming from a beautiful state like Oregon...Edmond is your best bet in terms of trees and natural beauty. Especially the east side of Edmond, with it's rolling hills.

There are far less outdoor activities and parks here in Okc vs. the PNW, but Hafer park in Edmond has lots of walking/hiking trails. There are some great parks in the metro area, so check out the okc city website for more info. If your family is into biking, you'll have to load up your car and head to Lake Hefner or Lake Overholser on the west side of the city. The Okc metro area is slowly adding more bike lanes but has no linked trail system like the PNW cities do.

Anyhow, I'm not sure about private league sports, but Edmond Santa Fe highschool has great sports teams.

I'm going to throw out Guthrie as another town to look into if your husband is commuting to Edmond- it's just super cute with a historic main street and beautiful old homes.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:47 PM

498 posts, read 1,606,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meagan2389 View Post
Thank you. That is very helpful. Sales tax will definitely be something I'll have to get used to since we don't have it here in Oregon. Although I definitely won't miss giving the state a large chunk of my paycheck in April! I'm excited to move but it's hard to leave all our friends. My kids have played sports with the same kids since they were little. Are there good sports programs there such as baseball, basketball and football? Are the sports programs through the schools or through private leagues? I have a 6th grader, a 10th grader and a 2nd grader.
Edmond is plentiful with athletic programs in public schools with baseball, basketball and football. Each school also has an ice hockey team that plays at Arctic Edge in Edmond. But I believe Edmond high schools' running and swimming teams are underrated. There is a lot of good talent. Gymnastics is still prevalent in Edmond outside of public schools, as is soccer.

More than 50 percent of adults hold a college degree, and the average income is more than $75,000. Population in 2009 is just shy of 82,000.

And debzkidz... Could you make me more homesick??? Can't wait to be back in Edmond myself.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:41 PM

46 posts, read 178,737 times
Edmond is a very nice place to live.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:12 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
Edmond is plentiful with athletic programs in public schools with baseball, basketball and football. Each school also has an ice hockey team that plays at Arctic Edge in Edmond. But I believe Edmond high schools' running and swimming teams are underrated. There is a lot of good talent. Gymnastics is still prevalent in Edmond outside of public schools, as is soccer.

More than 50 percent of adults hold a college degree, and the average income is more than $75,000. Population in 2009 is just shy of 82,000.

And debzkidz... Could you make me more homesick??? Can't wait to be back in Edmond myself.
Sorry It is a very nice place.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:44 PM

498 posts, read 1,606,514 times
I was born in Edmond in 1978 and was raised there my entire life except for 1985-1987 when my parents moved to Enid on a temporary basis. That equals years of memories. Can't wait to get back home. If you havevany questions on Edmond's history from 1980 and on, I have vivid memories. Let me know.

Yes, I was two, but I do remember... in faded images in my mind.... The grand opening of Quail Springs Mall in 1980. I remember a ton of pastel blue balloons in the old glass atrium and a live band in what is today the play area. My mom bought me a rubics cube from Kay Bee Toys. Of course, I can also remember my grandfather smoking cigars outside of Dillards when I wad five while my grandmother went shopping. Anyway, ask anytime.

A lot of fond memories.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:32 AM

34 posts, read 83,315 times
We just moved to Edmond about a month ago and LOVE it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City