Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 05:06 PM

778 posts, read 2,321,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Tower looks great! Can't wait to see it when it is done. Glad they built one tall building instead of a couple of shorter stumps. Whats the low down on the Sandridge Tower? Is it a new office building coming soon?
Meant to respond to this but there is a story in the Oklahoman (cannot find it for the life of me) in which Sandridge, while disccusing the upcoming plans for their current downtown tower, mentioned that in the long term it would like to add a second tower, one possibly 20 stories or higher, which would put it at the height of about Mid Continent Tower (the current home of Devon). This is long term, and considering Sandridge's recent stock swoon don't expect it soon, but its good to know its on the drawing board.

As for everyone saying the tower doesn't fit, I think that is a bit shortsighted. Yes it sticks out somewhat now but in the future I don't think it will be a problem. Just my observations but there are a few very loose proposals flying about local architect firms for at least one tower that will match Devon's (possible mixed used hotel/office to go along the new convention center is the most likely from what I here).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 08:49 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,032 times
I think it looks great and with all the things going on in downtown it will be a great addition. I agree with #1soonerfan. Someone had to be the first to build a really tall tower. At some point there will be others, maybe not next week or next year, but eventually it will happen.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:47 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,876,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
I think it looks great and with all the things going on in downtown it will be a great addition. I agree with #1soonerfan. Someone had to be the first to build a really tall tower. At some point there will be others, maybe not next week or next year, but eventually it will happen.
It would take two or three 40-50 story towers for the OKC skyline to even begin to fill in with the Devon Tower there and even then, it would make the skyline look like it has two or three buildings instead of one because everything else would be dwarfed down.

It's a neat building, but it really is way way too tall, especially for a very slow growing skyline like OKC. Charlotte, Austin etc looked terrible too, but those very fast growing skylines were not even as bad as OKC and they are just now filling out.

OKC will be a single building skyline now for at least a generation.

As an urban skyline photographer, this is a mess for me. Do you know how difficult it will be to get a good skyline shot of OKC when one building dwarfs everything else? The best angle will be from the opposite side of downtown with the devon tower the furthest away to help bring the height and massing down to a respectable level, but then you lose the detail and focal point of the most interesting and modern building in the skyline.

I'm telling you. A few 40 story buildings would have looked a lot better. The skyline was much bigger than Omaha and now the optical illusion is that it's about the same as Omaha.

Oh well. Still a neat building. A lot of cities would love to have that tower. And it’s still better than nothing at all. At least you have companies committed to downtown.

When will this be done anyway? I will fly to OKC and rent a helicopter as soon as the building is complete and work with the skyline the best I can. I will still get some great shots of the skyline, but most will have a lot of sky in them.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:20 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,032 times
I've heard that it's suppose to be all complete with employees moved in by early summer of 2012, but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:33 AM

533 posts, read 1,710,580 times

Last edited by flintysooner; 09-07-2011 at 07:07 AM..

Old 09-10-2011, 11:11 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,756,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
It would take two or three 40-50 story towers for the OKC skyline to even begin to fill in with the Devon Tower there and even then, it would make the skyline look like it has two or three buildings instead of one because everything else would be dwarfed down.

It's a neat building, but it really is way way too tall, especially for a very slow growing skyline like OKC. Charlotte, Austin etc looked terrible too, but those very fast growing skylines were not even as bad as OKC and they are just now filling out.

OKC will be a single building skyline now for at least a generation.

As an urban skyline photographer, this is a mess for me. Do you know how difficult it will be to get a good skyline shot of OKC when one building dwarfs everything else? The best angle will be from the opposite side of downtown with the devon tower the furthest away to help bring the height and massing down to a respectable level, but then you lose the detail and focal point of the most interesting and modern building in the skyline.

I'm telling you. A few 40 story buildings would have looked a lot better. The skyline was much bigger than Omaha and now the optical illusion is that it's about the same as Omaha.

Oh well. Still a neat building. A lot of cities would love to have that tower. And it’s still better than nothing at all. At least you have companies committed to downtown.

When will this be done anyway? I will fly to OKC and rent a helicopter as soon as the building is complete and work with the skyline the best I can. I will still get some great shots of the skyline, but most will have a lot of sky in them.
Cry me a river...More pics...

http://www.tumblr.com/photo/1280/9494860848/3/tumblr_lqmpnpIg9i1qcsga8 (broken link)

interesting comparison...

Old 09-12-2011, 03:15 PM

More pics...I wonder how many awards this tower is going to win for architecture!

PROJECT 180 recap
OKLAHOMA CITY -- Downtown Oklahoma City has changed a lot in recent years, and is about to get another big makeover starting next year.

The project has nothing to do with the latest MAPS initiative, but it has something to do the construction of the new Devon Energy building downtown and some recent bond issues.

Project 180 is the name of a downtown makeover covering 180 blocks. The Myriad Gardens will undergo some of the biggest changes.

For openers, the Crystal Bridge Tropical Conservatory will be re-glazed. New, clear panels will replace the acrylic one. The Gardens will be closed for a year for other improvements, too.

"I believe that over here in the east garden where our Christmas tree is at we're having a restaurant and then on the other side of that we're getting an ice skating rink and stuff, so yeah, it's gonna be awesome," Linda Hanley with the Myriad Gardens Security said.

And that's just the beginning. Project 180 will makeover everything you stand on in downtown, from streets to sidewalks.

"You'll see that we're going to have landscaping, they'll see new parking meters, they'll see even plug-ins for electric cars," Kristy Yager with the city of Oklahoma City said.

Complementing the decision by Devon Energy to build its new headquarters downtown, Project 180 will aim to attract more businesses and economic development into the area.

The improvements will be paid for through Tax Increment Financing from construction of the Devon Tower and the bonds passed in the 2007.

http://www.alvineconnect.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Blue-for-Alvine-Connect.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by happytown; 09-12-2011 at 03:53 PM..

Old 09-14-2011, 02:33 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,847,676 times
Greetings from So Cal.

Devon Tower looks awesome! Nice pics. Your skyline is looking great! Keep it up. Like the song says: Oklahoma City... you're so, so pretty.

-Cheers.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
Greetings from So Cal.

Devon Tower looks awesome! Nice pics. Your skyline is looking great! Keep it up. Like the song says: Oklahoma City... you're so, so pretty.

-Cheers.
Im liking it too! More pics...

Its a monster.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:00 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,250,180 times
Wow! The new pics look great, keep them coming! I think the Devon Town looks great in Downtown OKC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City