Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 08:33 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,246,296 times

Advertisements

There is a possibility I will be accepting a job in NW OKC and I will be looking for an apartment. There appears to be quite a few apartment complexes in the Quail Springs Mall area, specifically directly south of the mall on Penn. How is this area as far as crime, safety, etc? I lived in Moore for several years but know very little about the north side of the metro. Thanks for any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 01:53 AM

778 posts, read 2,321,986 times
Congrats on the job!

As far as the Quail Springs area, it is a bit of a mixed bag. The area North of Memorial has pretty nice complexes. South of Memorial becomes more hit and miss. Its more dependent on the complex itself. Some of them, especially around 122nd and Penn, are owned by out-of-state companies that can really care less who they rent to. As a result, some of the complexes have a really seedy element to them. West of May, the seedy element goes down drastically. I wouldn't mess with the cheapest places. Remember, you get what you pay for.

Long story short, do your research on the complexes or pay a little extra and get a place on the north side of Memorial. I'm more of a city guy (and that area is pretty suburban) but I wouldn't have a problem living in that area. There's a lot of shopping, restaurants, and even a few decent bars. Plus you are still pretty close to the city.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:24 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,032 times
I must agree with soonerfan. You really should stay north of Memorial/Turnpike. South of there, it can be sketchy. Parts are nice enough, but then go just a block away, and it can be iffy. Several years ago, when we first moved here, we spent a couple of months in a corporate apartment at Sycamore Farms. They were nice apartments. Although I've not been back in them since we moved out, I drive by them semi regularly and they still look to be quite nice and well kept.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
Congrats on the job!
Thanks. It's not a sure thing yet but a strong possibility and I am really hoping it works out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
As far as the Quail Springs area, it is a bit of a mixed bag. The area North of Memorial has pretty nice complexes. South of Memorial becomes more hit and miss. Its more dependent on the complex itself. Some of them, especially around 122nd and Penn, are owned by out-of-state companies that can really care less who they rent to. As a result, some of the complexes have a really seedy element to them. West of May, the seedy element goes down drastically. I wouldn't mess with the cheapest places. Remember, you get what you pay for.

Long story short, do your research on the complexes or pay a little extra and get a place on the north side of Memorial. I'm more of a city guy (and that area is pretty suburban) but I wouldn't have a problem living in that area. There's a lot of shopping, restaurants, and even a few decent bars. Plus you are still pretty close to the city.
For starting out, I'll be looking for something in the $500 range. I figured for that price I would have to go suburban. I realize that's on the low-end but it's what I was paying in Charlotte and had a fairly nice place, and Charlotte has a higher COL than OKC. One of the complexes I was looking at is Raindance Apartments, near the intersection of Penn and 122nd. Is that a good place? Is there anything closer to Edmond near the Broadway Extension that anybody would recommend?

Old 08-14-2012, 12:06 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,032 times
I don't think you're gonna find anything around Edmond in that price range. Possibly some student housing around UCO, but I would think that would be about it.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
I don't think you're gonna find anything around Edmond in that price range. Possibly some student housing around UCO, but I would think that would be about it.
Yeah I was thinking that might be the case. There are plenty of apartments in my price range in Moore and Norman, and I am familiar with that area. If I was to live down there, how bad is the commute up to NW 63rd and the Broadway Extension? If I remember, I-35 gets pretty backed up around the 240 junction and again at the 40 junction, but they have widened I-35 since I last lived in the area.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:44 PM

15 posts, read 29,626 times
Apartments near Penn Mall area - it's fine! I don't think you have to worry about crime there any more than you do in Moore. It is safe with the average worries you would get anywhere else in Oklahoma.

Apartments near Quail Springs area - this is pretty close to Edmond and it does feel safer than it does near the Penn Square area but again, it's barely noticeable the difference between the two. There's more homeless people near the Quail Springs area though, but they are harmless.

Really, these two areas are fine. I actually got my car broken into in my neighborhood in Moore, but have had no problems in downtown Oklahoma City (which is probably the worst crime-wise). Oklahoma really is overall pretty safe. If you're worried, look for a gated area because I think most of the crime is just people breaking into cars.

Now the Paseo Arts area or downtown Oklahoma City area... those are different stories crime-wise- however they were my favorite places to live.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbannomad View Post
Apartments near Penn Mall area - it's fine! I don't think you have to worry about crime there any more than you do in Moore. It is safe with the average worries you would get anywhere else in Oklahoma.

Apartments near Quail Springs area - this is pretty close to Edmond and it does feel safer than it does near the Penn Square area but again, it's barely noticeable the difference between the two. There's more homeless people near the Quail Springs area though, but they are harmless.

Really, these two areas are fine. I actually got my car broken into in my neighborhood in Moore, but have had no problems in downtown Oklahoma City (which is probably the worst crime-wise). Oklahoma really is overall pretty safe. If you're worried, look for a gated area because I think most of the crime is just people breaking into cars.

Now the Paseo Arts area or downtown Oklahoma City area... those are different stories crime-wise- however they were my favorite places to live.
Thanks for this information. I am really liking the idea of living in the Quail Springs area due to the proximity to Memorial and all that area offers. Plus, its an easy drive down the Broadway Extension to get to work and downtown.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:45 PM

778 posts, read 2,321,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Thanks. It's not a sure thing yet but a strong possibility and I am really hoping it works out.

For starting out, I'll be looking for something in the $500 range. I figured for that price I would have to go suburban. I realize that's on the low-end but it's what I was paying in Charlotte and had a fairly nice place, and Charlotte has a higher COL than OKC. One of the complexes I was looking at is Raindance Apartments, near the intersection of Penn and 122nd. Is that a good place? Is there anything closer to Edmond near the Broadway Extension that anybody would recommend?
Raindance looks like it has decent reviews. At the very least, certainly better than others around there.

I really think you will be fine there, just understand there are complexes in and around that area that can be a little sketch. It would depend on your own tolerance level. I wouldn't sign any sort of lease until you can see it in person. JMHO

Also, at your price range, there is an apartment complex called Quail Run off Memorial and May. A friend of mine lived there and had no complaints. Looks like a 1 br starts at $515.

http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartm...uail-Run/5759/

EDIT: I just saw you will be working around Broadway and 63rd. If that's the case, don't limit yourself to just the Quail Springs area. You can find something around Penn Square (which has just as much to do as the QS area), Northwest Expressway, or even something urban and "intown".

Traffic here isn't terrible, but I would not be driving from Norman to Broadway and 63rd. Yes I-35 is now 6-8 lanes. But it can get very heavy by OKC standards, 235 isn't much better, and you would be driving through that nightmare interchange at 235 and 44, yuck. I knew someone who lived in Norman and worked at Chesapeake (63rd and Western) and they hated life. Their commute was 45-50 minutes on a good day, but increased to well over an hour if there was rain or a wreck. You should be able to find plenty of places close to that area in your price range.

Last edited by #1soonerfan; 08-14-2012 at 04:07 PM..

Old 08-14-2012, 04:21 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,500,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
There is a possibility I will be accepting a job in NW OKC and I will be looking for an apartment. There appears to be quite a few apartment complexes in the Quail Springs Mall area, specifically directly south of the mall on Penn. How is this area as far as crime, safety, etc? I lived in Moore for several years but know very little about the north side of the metro. Thanks for any replies.
I lived right in that area ages ago.

I think you will be fine in the apartment complexes directly south and west of the turnpike. The more crime-ridden areas are just south and east of Quail Springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City