Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 02:26 PM

593 posts, read 1,795,740 times

Advertisements

We knew the day before that severe weather was coming...My thought is why didn't the school districts just close the schools for one day???? My son lives in Moore and the tornado hit 2 blocks from where he lives...We're ready to move back to Calif....ASAP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 02:35 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,417,653 times
Comments from those afar remind me of the fed gov, too far to see the issues in any depth yet think they are powerful enough to fix it....without a full understanding of the issues and challenges. Its not unique to the fed gov, huge corporations who fail to empower those with the facts with the authority to fix things can prescript a solution that wont work.

One news report, I dont find news reports authoritative nor reliable on any matter of engineering or science especially, called the power of this tornado as exceeding the bombs dropped to end WWII in Japan. That tells me CD isnt going to solve it.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:16 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,531,325 times
Schools are generally great shelters and are very safe. Don't let an exception muddy your minds about it.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:20 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
Guys, we really don't need finger wagging from out of staters right now. If the answers are not good enough for you please do not get on your high horse. Teachers are in the hospital right now because they used their bodies as shields for students. Arguing about basements right now is incredibly inappropriate.
Bless those teachers....they are heroes and should be acknowledged as such.

Sending good thoughts and prayers from your neighbors to the south. Texas loves you.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:29 PM

18 posts, read 41,707 times
I totally agree. Right now Oklahoma's are hurting and need help and consoling. The way my heart breaks for the people of Moore and the way people from Tulsa and OKC have come together makes me proud to be from here. I will no longer say, "when I'm on a trip out of state" that I am from Tulsa but rather I am from Oklahoma for truly we are one people.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:41 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,697,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Eyes View Post
We knew the day before that severe weather was coming...My thought is why didn't the school districts just close the schools for one day???? My son lives in Moore and the tornado hit 2 blocks from where he lives...We're ready to move back to Calif....ASAP
You should go then. I don't think anyone will miss you. Oklahoma isn't a NANNY state like California.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:02 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,749,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
So that's at least the third pop-culture theory I've heard as to why there aren't basements in Oklahoma. (One is that they're sitting on bedrock so it's too expensive. Another is that the frostline doesn't go very deep, so no need to dig a basement.)
No pop-culture theories here.

Unlike you, I have a basement and I have lived in OK or TX for most of my adult life.

My basement floods to a depth of 1-4 inches after a period of extended rain. I have salt on the concrete block walls. It stays damp and disgusting much of the year. Its been "waterproofed" twice and it still gets a few inches of water. This is what happens in basements in TX on Clay.

A relative has a split level in Heavener but that is built on granite, not clay.

What is your claim to expertise? A keyboard in Minnesota?

Old 05-21-2013, 06:05 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,270,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
You should go then. I don't think anyone will miss you. Oklahoma isn't a NANNY state like California.
Ok peeps, lets be civil.

Anyhow, USAToday is reporting this was an F-5.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:17 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,454,401 times
Quote:
That is one of the things they discussed on NBC's one hour special tonight. The answer is that there is a risk of a tornado happening often in May ( April, too) and it just wouldn't be wise to close the schools whenever there's a possibility of a tornado.

I'm glad your son turned out okay. No matter where you live, there's always a risk of some type of bad weather event.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:57 PM

494 posts, read 805,126 times
Quote:
As if earthquake and fire country is any better? At the end of the day most of the lower 48 is prone to some kind of natural disaster. Nothing nobody can do about it except try and be prepared. Personally CA is the last place on earth i would move especially with a child. I hope all works out for you and everyone else.

Oh and i do thank the others for their input about basement construction in the area.

Hoping and praying for all involved in this disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City