Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 10:30 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,668,019 times

Advertisements

Please, this is not intended to be disrespectful to the people of Moore, OK. From all I have seen on the media today, these people are extremely good-hearted, helpful, and caring.

Three major tornadoes in 14 years. I really am curious. What is it about Moore that attract Tornadoes? Is it just coincidence? Is there a geographic componet? I understand this part of the country is Tornado Alley, but one town suffering so much boggles the mind.

I really don't think anyone has the answer, and I certainly am saddened by all the child deaths, especially. Again, I have nothing against OK or Moore, but why?

Last edited by pw72; 05-20-2013 at 11:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 10:35 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
I wonder that myself. Moore has had two other very close calls in 2010 and 2011 with an F4 and F5 tornado. Moore and SW OKC doesn't just attract tornadoes, it attracts the largest, most violent ones as opposed to the much weaker ones that statistically hit north OKC. I wonder if there is a meteorologic explanation for it.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:29 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,444,654 times
As I understand it, the southern part of the Great Plains is extremely prone to tornadoes because of its deep inland location east of the Rockies and its mostly flat land. It's more complicated than that, of course, but those are the big components.

There isn't a reason I can think of that one town in that area would be worse off than another. Very sad coincidence.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:27 AM

793 posts, read 1,112,899 times
Seems like it's just pure coincidence.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:30 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Limestone County, AL has been hit by four violent tornadoes in the last 40 years: An F5 and and F4 on the same day in 1974, another F5 in 2011, and an F3 in 2012. A small town called Tanner has borne the brunt of them all.

There are parcels of land in the Great Plains that have never been crossed by tornadoes, so having areas with multiple strong tornadoes crossing them in a relatively short period of time is probably just the law of averages at work.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:29 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,602,317 times
Not sure the specific reason, but here's a 56-year map of tornadoes with their strengths.

http://wattsupwiththat.files.wordpre...s_56_years.jpg

Eastern Nebraska, Kansas, and Oklahoma seem to have a good (or bad) amount of stronger and more numerous tornadoes. Mississippi and Alabama are pretty gnarly hot-spots as well (the devastation in Tuscaloosa comes to mind).

I think overall, it's just pretty dangerous living in Tornado alley and it's essentially Russian roulette but with a machine gun. I'm just thankful that there are warning systems in place that give people the chance to find shelter. Many more people would be hurt or killed if there was none. But it's always unfortunate even when there's just one fatality.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:22 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Not sure the specific reason, but here's a 56-year map of tornadoes with their strengths.

http://wattsupwiththat.files.wordpre...s_56_years.jpg

Eastern Nebraska, Kansas, and Oklahoma seem to have a good (or bad) amount of stronger and more numerous tornadoes. Mississippi and Alabama are pretty gnarly hot-spots as well (the devastation in Tuscaloosa comes to mind).

I think overall, it's just pretty dangerous living in Tornado alley and it's essentially Russian roulette but with a machine gun. I'm just thankful that there are warning systems in place that give people the chance to find shelter. Many more people would be hurt or killed if there was none. But it's always unfortunate even when there's just one fatality.
Cool map, just reinforces the thought that if you see a tornado, make sure you are not east of it.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:23 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
Certain towns are simply magnets for tornadoes due to geography; Xenia OH is another. Not sure why people live in such areas knowing the risk.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:41 AM

10,179 posts, read 11,166,444 times
My prayers are with all those in Moore Oklahoma.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:08 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
I have a theory but without data to support it. But here goes anyway

Tornadoes move from the Southwest to North East usually, see map posted above. Thus far the strength of a tornado is based upon the damage the high winds did, rather than a direct measure of wind speed which is hard to measure from afar although progress is being made. So we know more about strong tornadoes that impact populated areas. Strong ones in vacant land do not get the focus or attention of urban striking ones.

So most tornadoes are going to hit the west side of large population centers. As they tear up structures in their path, the energy used to do so, takes energy from the storm's power source which is limited, so these structures weaken the storms from what they could have been if not for giving up the power to destroy things in its path. So they wind down or weaken as they move across urban areas.

Moore is located where nothing west of it is going to diminish tornado power until it hits Moore. Many other towns are in a similar location but through luck or location differences relative to the atmospheric conditions Moore somehow has gotten more than most. That is unexplainable in my judgement...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City