Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 08:47 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I moved here recently and have asked people the same question. The weather is terrible and the divorce rate is high here. The culture is to get married and have kids right after graduating from high school/college. I don't get the culture here at all. Its tough for a single guy moving in. While people are friendly, its hard to break into their clicks because they all have the same lifelong friends and don't seem to feel a need for new ones. Its very strange to me. But I moved from a city where nobody who lived there was from there. I hope I can eventually like it here because I work fro a great company and would hate to give that up because I have no personal life and therefore have to move elsewhere.
I hear ya. I moved here from Charlotte which is also very transient and culturally progressive. It's been very difficult adjusting to OKC, and these storms have made it even worse. I have lived in this part of the country before, having lived in Little Rock from 2007-2009 and Ft Smith before that, but during my time in North Carolina I became accustomed to the transient culture and pretty much forgot about many of the reasons I moved to the east coast. Like you though, I have a great job here and I probably couldn't find anything as good as this if I moved to another city. I wish I could make OKC work for me as I've moved more than my share of times since graduation and starting over is a pain, but unless I want the married with a house full of kids lifestyle and soon, I don't see myself being happy here so my plan is to stay at my job now long enough to build a resume and then move on.

All of that said, I can completely understand why people stay in Oklahoma and why it is a great fit for many. If I had a wife and school-age kids, I would probably be singing a different tune.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 05:45 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
Really? Of course I lived in OKC many years ago but I never found it hard to meet people but then we lived in an apt. We use to go out every weekend and met lots of great people. Every place has its bad in weather or other natural disasters. I too have lived in other places and they all have their good and bad. I have family that in OK too.

I live in a tornado prone area and I can tell you I will take a hurricane anytime over a tornado although tornadoes do happen in hurricanes.

Okies are great people.. My heart goes out to you all during this time

Old 06-03-2013, 08:00 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
I heard a good response to the thread question:

Oklahoma has 3 interstates. I-35 runs north/south. I-40 runs east/west. I-44 runs diagonal. If you have to ask, pick one and start driving.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:37 PM

498 posts, read 1,606,514 times
I'll take a tornado over a hurricane. Why? Because after Hurricane Ike, we went more than a week without power (in August, mind you). And for miles, there is little or no resources. We had to stock up in our evacuee city because where I lived Conroe there was no gas, no food, nothing. I was required to report back to work the Monday after he Hurricane, so I didn't have a choice. While the power was eventually restored and things got back to normal, I remember thinking to myself "tornadoes are violent, but even if my home was hit, just a half mile down the road there is food, water and air conditioning." Ike put Houston completely out of service. Forget Hurricanes.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:45 PM

498 posts, read 1,606,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I hear ya. I moved here from Charlotte which is also very transient and culturally progressive. It's been very difficult adjusting to OKC, and these storms have made it even worse. I have lived in this part of the country before, having lived in Little Rock from 2007-2009 and Ft Smith before that, but during my time in North Carolina I became accustomed to the transient culture and pretty much forgot about many of the reasons I moved to the east coast. Like you though, I have a great job here and I probably couldn't find anything as good as this if I moved to another city. I wish I could make OKC work for me as I've moved more than my share of times since graduation and starting over is a pain, but unless I want the married with a house full of kids lifestyle and soon, I don't see myself being happy here so my plan is to stay at my job now long enough to build a resume and then move on.

All of that said, I can completely understand why people stay in Oklahoma and why it is a great fit for many. If I had a wife and school-age kids, I would probably be singing a different tune.
I don't see myself being happy in Houston so I am looking in OKC for work. The atrocious commutes, lack of rest and lack of time with family is catching up with me. Plus, I was born and raised in Edmond. All my friends and family are there. It's a win win for both myself and my wife, who loves it there as well. It's where we met. Lots of good times.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:59 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,793,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post

If I was married, it would be totally different. Although I'd still miss the mountains, professional sports, and weather of Atlanta. I don't miss the traffic or pollution, but despite that, I'd rather be there. I wouldn't have moved unless I absolutely had to, but I honestly didn't think it would be this bad. I thought as a single "city guy" with some culture, there'd be plenty of Oklahoma women to choose from. Not so. Not that I think I'm God's gift to women, but I do have a lot going for me. There just aren't any single women 30-40 here without kids, as I said before. If they do exist, there's a good reason they haven't been married. Anyway, disappointing is the only word I have for it.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:26 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
I don't see myself being happy in Houston so I am looking in OKC for work. The atrocious commutes, lack of rest and lack of time with family is catching up with me. Plus, I was born and raised in Edmond. All my friends and family are there. It's a win win for both myself and my wife, who loves it there as well. It's where we met. Lots of good times.
Yeah different cities are perfect fits for different people. Houston is one of my personal favorite cities. I will say I do like Edmond pretty well. It is the closest I've found in Oklahoma to the transient atmosphere and upscale/polished feel that I am used to.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:18 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,524 times
Atlguy39 it is the same in many places, if you have lived your entire life in one place you already have a set of friends and often don't have a need for new ones. Best bet is look for groups to join where you find a common interest and cultivate friendships there. Good luck and don't give up!

Old 06-08-2013, 02:02 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
Hurricane and tornado are essentially the same thing. The difference is where it forms. Hurricane forms at sea whereas the tornado forms on land. Tornadoes have a history of where it formed, the track it left, physical size, how long it was on the ground and damage. The weather station at Norman has the information. If 10 tornadoes followed the same basic path/track do not move into established path. Live outside of the path 20-30 miles. If it moves NE live SE or Northwest. It is better to drive an extra half hour than be dead.

Many of the OKC storms move out of SW Texas and move NE. Tornadoes can hook and turn.. look at Joplin. The straight line winds that follow can be just as damaging. It is an odd experience to miss a direct hit from a tornado and find the limb from a mature tree in your bedroom. It happened to me. It was my first introduction to Tornado Alley. It not a good location to live; I moved SE 30 miles and was never bothered again. Maybe I was just lucky. I was very happy in tornado alley for nearly 30 years.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:59 PM

591 posts, read 821,261 times
Living in Tornado Alley is not for the faint of heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City