Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2013, 06:17 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,333,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Sorry, but Oklahoma women are pretty hard to get along with. Oklahoma imprisons women at a higher rate than any other state. I wonder why? Well, have you ever tried telling an Oklahoma woman, "no"?
This is an overgeneralization, but I do think a lot of Oklahoma women are really strong and sturdy.

God bless 'em. They are better looking than women from other states, they know how to take care of themselves and their men, and they know when their men need to receive an old-fashioned butt-whippin'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 06:42 AM

533 posts, read 1,710,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
As far as AA history, few people want to have to arrive to the Tulsa riot, or that the first law Oklahoma passed as a new state was Jim Crow.
Or the Trail of Tears.

Good point, too.

It is interesting to me that at least some Oklahomans - maybe many - are more able to honestly look at and discuss these events. I think partly it has to do with such a strong individualism that is present in Oklahoma and a diminished sense of group affinity. When the founding member of a family came here on a horse by himself as a teenager in late 19th century it does mean something. Is it genetic or cultural or a combination? I don't know but it does have some kind of influence even 100+ years later.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:52 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,978,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
Is it genetic or cultural or a combination?
Both.

We are descended from risk takers and survivors. Those characteristics are essential to open up new lands. Those characteristics were valued by society, creating the culture that we have now. I would suggest that that is, in part, the basis of my impatience with whiners who bemoan their inability to do something. Okies have a long history of making do and adapting. The inability to make do and adapt generally earns contempt.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:28 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,978,684 times
I think part of the "cowboy culture" that we have in this state is exemplified by Chris LeDoux's song "Cowboy Up" where he says

Quote:
You gotta cowboy up
When you get throwed down
Get right back in the saddle
As soon as you hit the ground
You've heard that the tough get goin'
When the goin' gets tough
Around here what we say is
Boy you better cowboy up

Chris LeDoux - Cowboy Up - YouTube

you don't do a "I hate this" or "I hate that".........what a waste of time and emotion. You have to toughen up and take the bad hopin' it gets better. If you have standards, great. Stick by them. Just be aware that you are limiting your options. And if what you are wishing for doesn't appear like you like, tough. cowboy up, partner...........it only gets better when you keep trying.

Old 06-20-2013, 02:54 PM

249 posts, read 443,478 times
Spoken like a true cowboy.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:44 PM

533 posts, read 1,710,687 times
I think another part of the Oklahoma culture is our willingness to forego immediate gratification in order to secure a better outcome not necessarily even for us but our children. My first surname ancestor to arrive in the US indentured himself for 7 years and likely endured the death of his wife and children on the voyage. Some say this is a dead concept but I still see it rather often.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:08 PM

Yea, that concept has basically gone the way of the dodo on both coasts I'd say.

Although there's selfless people everywhere. They just betwixt the cracks and crevices of society. At least near the Oceans anyway.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:35 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,790,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
This is an overgeneralization, but I do think a lot of Oklahoma women are really strong and sturdy.

God bless 'em. They are better looking than women from other states, they know how to take care of themselves and their men, and they know when their men need to receive an old-fashioned butt-whippin'.
They know how to take care of themselves? Really? Where are you finding these women? This state is one of the most obese states in the country (I'm not only talking about the women here). There are several in my office that take care of themselves, but they seem to be the exception just from what I see. I'm willing to try a long distance relationship and go to Dallas to find someone if I have to. Everyone's taste is different, but I do not think they're among the better looking women in the country. I've lived in GA and FL and those women are more attractive to me. TX women seem to be as well, but I haven't spent a lot of time there. But it only takes one for me because I don't want to date around. So if and when I find her here, that will make a huge difference.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:15 PM

ATLguy, I give you a lot of credit for sticking to your guns and speaking your mind. But especially so because you do it in a respectful manner.

I don't see anything disrespectful or dissentful in the above post. Informative firsthand account actually. He's just stating what he has observed and a statistic along with it.

Now I myself, when I passed through OKC, met a couple of extremely pretty gals, but who knows if that was a fluke or what.

Then again, I'm not an highly sensitive and defensive local either. Now if someone were to start throwin' around Jersey stereotypes at me, then Mister, them's fightin' words! Heh.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:25 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the12ronin View Post
ATLguy, I give you a lot of credit for sticking to your guns and speaking your mind. But especially so because you do it in a respectful manner.

I don't see anything disrespectful or dissentful in the above post. Informative firsthand account actually. He's just stating what he has observed and a statistic along with it.

Now I myself, when I passed through OKC, met a couple of extremely pretty gals, but who knows if that was a fluke or what.

Then again, I'm not an highly sensitive and defensive local either. Now if someone were to start throwin' around Jersey stereotypes at me, then Mister, them's fightin' words! Heh.
Obesity is a problem in OKC but percentage wise it really isn't that much worse than most other places. It just has that stereotype because every time a ranking of obese cities comes out, OKC is near the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City