Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 08:54 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,423,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
In your position, OKC has two strikes against it. First, people from the East Coast have a more difficult time adjusting to OKC than people from the western states. I don't know why that is but it's usually the case. I moved from Charlotte a year ago and there are still things that bug the heck out of me about this place.
Charlotte is one of the nicest cities in America today, you're bound to be extremely disappointed coming to OKC. Charlotte's median age is just 31 years old and there are tons of distinct neighborhoods with local restaurants and businesses in and around the city. Charlotte actually takes urban planning to account, and doesn't just pave the whole town with miles and miles of strip malls and fast food chains. Many of the stores and restaurants in Charlotte are walkable or have convenient parking behind the stores, so you feel connected to the community. North Carolina is one of the original 13 Colonies, and there are a lot of culture and unique architecture. You look out your window in Charlotte and you see 80 ft green pine trees. You look out your window in OKC and you see brown shrubs, yellow grass and red clay. You're also a couple of hours from Charleston and the South Carolina beaches, and a few minutes from rolling hills and mountains. North Carolina in general also have far better schools than Oklahoma, and has a vibrant economy in high tech, manufacturing, finance and health care. Charlotte has the Carolinas Medical Center, one of the largest hospitals in the country, and Duke is not far away for tertiary care. There is really zero comparison with OKC other than relative size. It's also proof that it's not population size that is holding Oklahoma City back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 07:50 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Charlotte is one of the nicest cities in America today, you're bound to be extremely disappointed coming to OKC. Charlotte's median age is just 31 years old and there are tons of distinct neighborhoods with local restaurants and businesses in and around the city. Charlotte actually takes urban planning to account, and doesn't just pave the whole town with miles and miles of strip malls and fast food chains. Many of the stores and restaurants in Charlotte are walkable or have convenient parking behind the stores, so you feel connected to the community. North Carolina is one of the original 13 Colonies, and there are a lot of culture and unique architecture. You look out your window in Charlotte and you see 80 ft green pine trees. You look out your window in OKC and you see brown shrubs, yellow grass and red clay. You're also a couple of hours from Charleston and the South Carolina beaches, and a few minutes from rolling hills and mountains. North Carolina in general also have far better schools than Oklahoma, and has a vibrant economy in high tech, manufacturing, finance and health care. Charlotte has the Carolinas Medical Center, one of the largest hospitals in the country, and Duke is not far away for tertiary care. There is really zero comparison with OKC other than relative size. It's also proof that it's not population size that is holding Oklahoma City back.
I agree totally! You only have to look at some of the post on City Date to see why OKC and Tulsa will never be a place that will draw young talent. You see a lot of posting on here were people will say "Don't come in here and try to change us" or "Don't bring your liberal way here!" Most young people would only come here because of a not being about to find a job else where. In Oklahoma progressive is a bad word.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:58 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,192,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
I agree totally! You only have to look at some of the post on City Date to see why OKC and Tulsa will never be a place that will draw young talent. You see a lot of posting on here were people will say "Don't come in here and try to change us" or "Don't bring your liberal way here!" Most young people would only come here because of a not being about to find a job else where. In Oklahoma progressive is a bad word.
Agreed. Back home I worked at a horrible company that I intended to quit once I finished grad school. Unfortunately, when I graduated the recession was just getting started. I lost that job and desperately looked for another all over the country, and my family offered to let me live with them here once my lease was up. Eventually my lease lapsed... and I extended it another nine months. To put things into perspective, that was resorting to basics and made for a very stressful situation with a lot of sacrifices, but I chose that instead of coming to Oklahoma earlier. Still, the economy was so horrible I couldn't find anything so I had to suck it up and come here. It feels sort of like a cross I have to bear for not doing things right when I had the chance (internships, networking, looking nationwide earlier, etc.) So for now I have to right the wrongs if I want to leave, including a flawless job performance and adding new skills to enhance my resume.

I will add, what you said right before the bold part is too true. That doesn't exactly warm up people like me, and doesn't make me want to stay. Oddly enough, those experiences and knowledge we have could mean new, cutting-edge things in OKC. That happened A LOT at home. If something didn't exist there that people missed at home, they started a business venture. People who lived in the city now had a new choice of things to do. Why people are so opposed to that here, I'll never know. In the future, that could mean grave consequences for the city, especially in this day and age of instant gratification. Why would I want to wait 20 years for something that may or may not happen when another city already has what I want now?

Old 12-29-2013, 07:47 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Cities on the east coast have had at least a 200 year head start on Oklahoma City in becoming better cities. Since Charlotte has grown 43% since the year 2000 it is an unusual standout city for the east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City