Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 05:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,570 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

We kept reading that OKC is awesome, so guess what? We are moving there.

I'm looking to find out:
1. What it ended up costing everyone to move to OKC from your city?
2. What size home did you move?
3. In addition to total cost, did you end up paying extra anything (i.e. wrapping paintings and glass goods. I didn't know we were moving otherwise I wouldn't have bought so much glass stuff!)
4. If you recommend your mover, please provide their info.
5. Was it worth it to move all of it or should we start fresh?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 05:44 PM

72 posts, read 126,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysmoving10 View Post
Hi Everyone,

We kept reading that OKC is awesome, so guess what? We are moving there.

I'm looking to find out:
3. In addition to total cost, did you end up paying extra anything (i.e. wrapping paintings and glass goods. I didn't know we were moving otherwise I wouldn't have bought so much glass stuff!)

Thank you.
My company paid movers cost around $11k to move me from Ft Worth just 3 hours away. They held the household goods for about 1 week before we got into the new house. We have moved 3 times in the past 4 years and each time we seem to get rid of more stuff we don't really want or need.

My next move back to Texas I am considering selling almost everything and starting fresh. Then again I'm not much for material possessions and find very little sentimental value in purchased goods.

OKC has a lot of positives going for it but it will be different than LA. Whether it's a good different or a bad different will all be up to you and how you adjust to change.

Best of luck and I highly recommend finding a home with a tornado shelter. You'll feel alot safer when the storm season starts up in a few months!

Old 02-09-2014, 07:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,570 times
@ Gorilla97-was that for a big house? I'm in an apartment.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:39 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,735 times
I moved from the West to here for under $1,000 (stuff only). I used ABF U-Pack. I had no way to get my stuff from my apartment to their hub, so they dropped off a pod in a parking space. I loaded it up and they came to get it. I did have a way to get it from their OKC hub to the house. I mentioned those hubs only because if you can do hub-to-hub the cost goes down quite a bit. You will need to supply two locks for the pod and you'll be on your own getting your car here, so figure in gas and a hotel for a night, though you would be paying that anyway for a Uhaul or Penske. Regardless, at the time that was the cheapest option for me.

To answer your questions specifically:

Probably a little more than a thousand when you figure in gas, hotel and the moving pod. This will be subject to change based on where you're coming from though. Get a quote first and call if you can, because the CSR will be able to help you find cheaper dates.

Almost all the stuff in my current apartment was in my last, though I have a few new pieces of furniture. I fit what I could in the pod and put the rest in my car.

No. Newspapers, bubble wrap, peanuts, etc. will be extra if you get them from some place like a Uhaul center.

Visit this link: http://www.upack.com/
At the end of this year I'm going to start my job search so I can move out of state. When I do, I'll most likely use them again.

For me it was worth it. I did have some very expensive items that would cost too much to replace. However, I have a lot of things I picked up throughout life that have a lot of sentimental value. I also have a lot of things that are irreplaceable, because I bought them when I was living in Asia. Keep in mind there's not a lot of competition in OKC, and in my experience goods cost a bit more here compared to other cities. You may find stuff is actually cheaper at home than it is here, as has been my experience moving from a larger city.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:21 PM

72 posts, read 126,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysmoving10 View Post
@ Gorilla97-was that for a big house? I'm in an apartment.
Family of 4 about 3,000 sq ft home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City