Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 12:44 PM

374 posts, read 807,077 times

Advertisements

Here's one of my favorite tornado videos. The 2011 waterspout that caused a tsunami on Canton Lake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEoBzr7QYW0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 12:48 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,224,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post
You can't make more democrats move here by lying to them on message boards about our weather.

I'm not going to lie about our weather. You want to warn someone over how weather will impact them if they move here don't scare them about the remote possibility of a tornado strike. Warn them about the heat. Check my posts, I have warned people about that on this site any times.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
I'm not going to lie about our weather. You want to warn someone over how weather will impact them if they move here don't scare them about the remote possibility of a tornado strike. Warn them about the heat. Check my posts, I have warned people about that on this site any times.
I think you are severely downplaying how frequently they occur....especially in Oklahoma County. If you live in Tulsa Country, you shouldn't be giving people advice who are looking to relocate to Oklahoma County.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:07 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,224,517 times
The average number of deaths from tornadoes in Oklahoma is three. Out of almost 3.9 million people.

Each year you live in Oklahoma you have a 1 in 1.3 million chance of dying in a tornado. On average.

Average number of tornadoes and average deaths per year by state

Old 02-24-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
The average number of deaths from tornadoes in Oklahoma is three. Out of almost 3.9 million people.

Each year you live in Oklahoma you have a 1 in 1.3 million chance of dying in a tornado. On average.

Average number of tornadoes and average deaths per year by state
and a much higher chance your property will be damaged or destroyed by our severe weather. Our death average is low because we have the best warning system in the nation.

Still not much comfort to the people of Moore.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:36 PM

17,797 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:

Only a tiny fraction of buildings or people in Oklahoma have ever been impacted by a tornado.
I've only been in one. THAT ONE!! It went right down the street. When we came out of the house the across the street neighbor's car had been lifted and was sitting halfway in his garage having trashed the door.

Also there were several large trees uprooted.

The thing about it was it was only an F-2.

It was in July of 1998.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:53 PM

Do y'all remember when Bob Stoops went up to Moore and helped with the Cleanup?

Or when this woman found her dog under the rubble live on television? These are some of the glimpses of light among the horror.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ1llefknKU

Old 02-24-2014, 03:59 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
The last place I lived in California was in this apartment where we'd had this huge water leak a few months before. A main water pipe split and flooded the parking area around out building, and you could walk out and watch as it was all draining under the building. The break happened Saturday night and to save money the office didn't call in anyone until Monday. Our grass was taller than any other buildings after that. But we were sitting on a sea of mud. And we were in the first strik area of the likely break *when* the San Andreas goes. About a week before we'd had a presentation about Earthquake preparedness, and there was a show on tv about the type of quake it would be. So I was laying in bed one morning and there was an audible roar, then a big jerk and then shaking. It felt big, much bigger than it was because of our mud foundation. I was upstairs and the comfort was if the building fell I'd be on top of the neighbors. Later my neighbor below, who wasn't very mobile and couldn't get out, figured if it was a big quake and the building cracked they were done for.

People in California grow up with the fear of quakes which you don't usually talk about. Maybe you won't be there but if your in range you have massive damage which lasts for a while. My cousin was a guarter mile from the Northridge quake and they couldn't get in their house for a month. He sat in his driveway with his hunting rifle protecting it that month since nobody was really watching for looters. But once you hear that rumble or feel that jerk under your feet you go into emergency mode and then think a lot about quakes for a while after.

Oddly, before I moved here, I was at a convention in Kansas doing regrestration and there was a bad storm, and someone from the town came up and quietly told me to lock the cash box and put it in my back pack because the tornado was headed our way and if it didn't turn we'd be evacuated in ten minutes. But don't let on. It turned but it was still this really scary moment. But I did as told and only a few even knew. So I did think about them before moving here. But then my neighbors father is in his late 80's and hasn't even ever seen a funnel.

I view them as different, and while the odds are small still wish there was a way to get a shelter. But somehow that the tv is all emergency stuff covering the state, and they even track the storm/possible tornado and when it would hit, makes it worse and better.Quakes warn you with a rumble before the shaking starts, but you might not be able to get under a sturdy table in time. Being aware of what's happening puts you on edge, or those of us new to it on edge at least, but you have the reassurance its not coming toward you too.

The most I've been worried about my house was when the tree limb broke and was hanging over the roof when we had ice everywhere. I have a picture of the icecycles hanging to the ground from that one. Yes, the tormados do scare me, but then I remember how I grew up, knowing that a quake could strike and could crush you house or you, but the chances were small it would that day.

Ironically, with all the quakes I remember, even the one way north of Los Angeles which knocked stuff off shelved way south of it, the only real damage was here, with the large one that hit at night here. It messed up my door jam.

I'd guess the neighbors who moved back had other reasons besides being afraid of tornados to move.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:55 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
What's suspect about it? Sounds perfectly normal to me.
Some people are just very gullible.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:03 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post
I think you are severely downplaying how frequently they occur....especially in Oklahoma County. If you live in Tulsa Country, you shouldn't be giving people advice who are looking to relocate to Oklahoma County.
You know very little about Oklahoma, you are the one who shouldn't be giving advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City