Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 07:26 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
I hope the TAG people in Mustang are as sweet as ours... I look forward to seeing our TAG ladies every year! If you don't like the way your picture looks they will take it again until you do.
Uh oh, sounds like "I Love Lucy" when she went for her passport photo. Love those old shows.

Thanks for the tip, LR. I'll do it 1, 3, 2, 4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 08:30 PM

52 posts, read 219,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagguy View Post
Best rule of thumb. the BC must be issued FROM THE STATE you were born in and must say BIRTH CERTIFICATE.

The IMPORTANT part about this statement is "FROM THE STATE" I had 3 different what I thought were birth certificates. One was the original from the County I was born in and the second was a laminted certifed County birth certificate. The third one was actually a birth record from the Hospital I was born at. DPS can give you a phone # of where to get the "right" one for their purposes if you don't have the "right" one...

Plan to get to the DPS EARLY they fill up for a session QUICK.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:01 PM

330 posts, read 970,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale_ View Post
The IMPORTANT part about this statement is "FROM THE STATE" I had 3 different what I thought were birth certificates. One was the original from the County I was born in and the second was a laminated certified County birth certificate. The third one was actually a birth record from the Hospital I was born at. DPS can give you a phone # of where to get the "right" one for their purposes if you don't have the "right" one...

Plan to get to the DPS EARLY they fill up for a session QUICK.
I'm starting to get fearful of what's going to take place. I might hand over my paperwork and find myself arrested by ICE just for trying to get a license

Old 02-26-2008, 09:01 PM

102 posts, read 287,854 times
I was born from another country a long long time ago but I have been a legal U.S. resident for over 20 years now. Would my U.S. passport be sufficient enough if I couldn't find my birth certificate? Thanks!

Old 02-26-2008, 10:05 PM

330 posts, read 970,371 times
Just to clarify even further, the tags will be secondary because we would have to get our plates first, right? I'm not sure how long that takes, but wouldn't that take us past the thirty day rule anyway, unless OK has a quick turn around time for sending someone their plates?

Old 02-27-2008, 05:25 AM

2,919 posts, read 6,829,346 times
If the other TAG offices don't work like Duncan's hopefully tagguy will correct me...

When we got all of our stuff switched over it was a simple process. First to the DL examiner where we had our eyes checked... no testing since our CA licenses were valid. Gathered up the paperwork he gave us and drove to the TAG office.

Once there they switched our car registration from CA to OK... an asked us if we had a preference about the numbers on our Plates...

Then they printed up our licenses, pulled a new plate out of a box and gave us the 'sticky' tags for our plates.

No turn around time, nothing in the mail! They do everything right in the office... and ours has never had a waiting line either.

edit: I think it took a total of 30 min for us to be 100% Oklahoma legal.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:49 AM

52 posts, read 219,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techienomad View Post
Just to clarify even further, the tags will be secondary because we would have to get our plates first, right?
Tags are plates.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:23 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,620,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatoLiza View Post
I was born from another country a long long time ago but I have been a legal U.S. resident for over 20 years now. Would my U.S. passport be sufficient enough if I couldn't find my birth certificate? Thanks!
This is from the DPS Website

Primary proof of identification for a United States citizen.

For original issuance of a driver license or identification card, or for renewal after expiration, one of the following must be presented:
  • •A certified birth certificate, as issued by the appropriate state agency from the state of birth. The birth certificate shall include the person's name, date of birth, and sex, shall be signed and sealed, and shall include the certificate number. The following documents are not acceptable:
  • a hospital birth certificate or record
  • a birth registration
  • an abstract of birth
  • •A United States passport
  • •For a United States citizen who is born in another country, a certification issued by the United States Department of State or a state birth certificate issued for a birth outside of that state
  • •For a naturalized citizen of the United States, a Certificate of Naturalization issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service. The name on the document must be the same as the name used by the applicant on the driver license or identification card,
  • •An Oklahoma driver license issued by Department of Public Safety on or after November 1, 2007
  • •A State of Oklahoma identification card issued by the Department of Public Safety on or after November 1, 2007

For renewal or replacement of an unexpired driver license or identification card, one of the following must be presented:
  • •Finger image comparison, if a Department-generated finger image algorithm is already on file with the Department
  • •Any primary proof of identification listed above

Primary proof of identification for a foreign national or legal permanent resident alien.

For original, renewal or replacement of a driver license or identification card, one of the following must be present:
  • •A passport issued by a country other than the United States and I-94 card, when applicable. The name on the passport shall be the same as the name used by the applicant on the driver license or identification card. An I-94 card, which shall be accompanied by the applicant's passport when applicable, shall not be considered a separate identification document. The following passport classifications shall not be accepted for the purpose of issuing a driver license or identification card:
  • B-1, temporary visitor for business
  • B-2, temporary visitor for pleasure
  • C-1, alien in continuous transit through the United States
  • C-2, alien and family in transit to the United Nations
  • C-3, foreign government official and family transiting the United States
  • D-1, member of ship's crew who can not change ships or employers
  • D-2, member of ship's crew who may change ship's or employers
  • I-185/586, Mexican or Canadian nationals with border crossing, cards
  • I-444, Mexican or Canadian nationals with border crossing cards
  • Q, international cultural exchange visitor
  • TWOV, transit without visa
  • WT, visa waiver pilot program for tourist
  • WB, visa waiver pilot program for business
An alien registration card issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service. The name on the card shall be the same as the name used by the applicant on the driver license or identification card

It's kind of confusing to me too.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:30 AM

10 posts, read 25,513 times
For anyone out their reading these posts who have more complex circumstances, like born in a foreign country, peggydavis is right, requirements, qualifications and exemption begin getting very confusing. Remember you can always call a driving examiner or tag agent directly. Driving Examiners are list @ DPS Home and Tag Agents @ Oklahoma Tax Commission Homepage. Most (but not all) are friendly and knowledgeable.

LadyRobyn is right. In OK your get your plates(or tags and those "sticky tags" are called yearly decals) and your DL that day from one office. And because of the network of tag agents across the state (over three hundred) in most locations you'll find quick friendly service. So many out-of-state people who move to OK tell me how much they like our system compared to wherever they came from. The cost is usually lower and service is usually faster. It's so nice to hear a great rave for the tag agent in Duncan. Most of us try very hard to serve our communities well.

"30 min to 100% Legal Oklahoman"... I would have to say that's about right (but that is tag office time, not counting the time you need to spend getting everything together and in order)

Old 02-27-2008, 10:51 AM

10 posts, read 25,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
If the other TAG offices don't work like Duncan's hopefully tagguy will correct me...
No turn around time, nothing in the mail! They do everything right in the office... and ours has never had a waiting line either.

edit: I think it took a total of 30 min for us to be 100% Oklahoma legal.
LadyRobyn, would you mind telling me if you used the Duncan office @ 1615 W Elk or @ 1894 N Highway 81?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City