Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 10:27 AM

10,411 posts, read 15,655,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Just stating 'I am interviewing for a job in New York City' isn't exactly like tossing out your social security number on line. But its not that important if he doesn't want to share.
I know but what I think bugs some folk is that he does not say where he comes from....that's so much
better than OKC...FOMC....LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 12:14 PM

5,549 posts, read 9,552,126 times
Quote:
Really? Some of US have been too loose with YOUR information????

I don't think you are quite THAT important to any of us. And not revealing where your going is kind of silly if you are going to a city, oh excuse me, a 'metro' of 4 million plus. But wherever it is, may there be no Christmas celebrations and may there be many quality things of what you like to do and see.

And when you get there, please find a girlfriend and a job for Atlantaguy so he can find happiness as well.

I almost spit out the bitter coffee I'm drinking reading that last part!

Old 12-12-2014, 01:20 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,338,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
Two core cities, yes. Metro areas, there are 14. And I know firsthand why you need to be careful about what you reveal online. Some of you have been a little too lose with that information. And I don't know how I can make it any clearer: there's nothing to do in this state. Whatever this is to do isn't new or exciting to me, and it's often lacking in quality compared to what you can get elsewhere.

Yeah, I developed allergies after moving here too. I've never had a problem with them before until coming to OKC. I may not have to wait much longer. I expect a decision today. I think that school story you mentioned is a major issue here. I saw on the news a school hung up a portrait of Jesus. And I think it's a huge double-standard when another religious group tries to display their religion and it's considered a travesty. The Satanic and Hindu monuments are prime examples. I hate that people consider it okay to show the 10 Commandments, but other religions aren't seen as equal here. Sorry this is a bit rushed because I have work soon, but there's a lot more I could say about "religious freedom" in Oklahoma.
I think it was a sign that I should stay here when I wasn't allergic to the trees in the yard. I grew up with walnut trees, and was even allergic to touching the leaves. Then eucliptis which is everywhere in socal, so you can't escape it. At least the Oaks were a problem a short time. The trees in my yard are big and beautiful and form a natural circle under them, and no snezzing. I enrich the plummer every three or so years thanks to them but wouldn't touch my trees.

That is the thing I have a beef with the prevaling mantra here, but it was just as bad where I lived in Socal on a personal level with the predatory evalgelical types. But there WAS a Pagan Pride celebration in OKC so we are here. Personally I don't want religion involved in government at all. But I moved here for reasons other than that, and even if you find a less hurried way of life in California, its still just as expensive. So I deal on the religion stuff. Do what you want, don't expect me to join you. Personally the comandments should not be on state land. Since the guy was able to drive up on the lawn unhindered to run over them, maybe they might do a fence though.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:57 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,338,631 times
I think you'll never find the perfect place, especially since you have to be able to have somewhere to live and food to eat, disregarding things like a social life. I've lived in California all but the last six years. I loved the culture there but its changed. I'm not a rushing around fan. Everything got too busy and now. I think that is why the main outflow from California is older families and those with less cash looking towards the middle of the country for both economic and social reasons.

But there are things I love and miss. Fandom is my personal home, and its where I feel most like me. But there is a worldcon in KC, Missouri in 2016 and I WILL make it. I'll start saving for it now. Thing was, I couldn't afford to go to most things in Califonia since its sooooo expensive just to live there. So trade offs matter.

You are never going to find the perfect place, but you find the one which meets the greatest number of expectations. You have to give on the rest. And as far as religion goes, I'm going to put a cover on the front windows which leak air and do a Yule candle and say Happy Yule. I don't like the dominance of one religion even into schools and government, but I think everyone who needs it should find the right place for themselves and celebrate the life spirit however they choose. But privately, no monuments on the state lawn.

If I wanted to have a social life and date and go out then I'd probably not be so content, so what makes you happy is important, and we all deserve a place which gives us enough of what we need we feel content to stay.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:36 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,197,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I concur. My social life would be so much better elsewhere. I think even Charlotte, NC offers more for roughly the same size city, not to mention 100x better weather. I'm not moving there, its just an example.

I'm stuck here for probably another year or so, although maybe a good opportunity will come before then. In the meantime, I'm trying to make the best of it. I have to accept that none of the women I meet here are what I'm looking for, so dating is on hold indefinitely. I have a handful of friends to do things with (half of them not from here, which made it easier to make friends with them) and that will have to be good enough until I can get out of here.
Mine too. I tried early on, and got fed up. Looks like I'll be out of here at the end of this month. I really hope you can make it out of here too. This place SUCKS if you have no vested interest in it.

Quote:
Really? Some of US have been too loose with YOUR information????

I don't think you are quite THAT important to any of us. And not revealing where your going is kind of silly if you are going to a city, oh excuse me, a 'metro' of 4 million plus. But wherever it is, may there be no Christmas celebrations and may there be many quality things of what you like to do and see.

And when you get there, please find a girlfriend and a job for Atlantaguy so he can find happiness as well.
Yes, you've been too loose with my information. If ATLguy wants me to network on his behalf, I will. All he has to do is send me a DM and I'll see what I can do once I get set up. Just remember, as Shakespeare wrote: "What is the city but the people?" Now, I know like most people around here you frown on education and see that as something to be ashamed of, so take that as you will. You just keep telling skeptical people to make the major life decision to move here, even when it isn't in their best interests. Soon, you'll have more like me to take my place. And to expand on that quote, that is the bulk of the reason I want to leave. The attitude and local culture of people here is appalling to me, and this town is the way it is in what it offers (and doesn't) because of the people here and the people moving here. You aren't getting transplants who want to set up shop and add to what this place has. In other words, you aren't getting a lot of creative types or people trying to make it better when they move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I think you'll never find the perfect place, especially since you have to be able to have somewhere to live and food to eat, disregarding things like a social life. I've lived in California all but the last six years. I loved the culture there but its changed. I'm not a rushing around fan. Everything got too busy and now. I think that is why the main outflow from California is older families and those with less cash looking towards the middle of the country for both economic and social reasons.

But there are things I love and miss. Fandom is my personal home, and its where I feel most like me. But there is a worldcon in KC, Missouri in 2016 and I WILL make it. I'll start saving for it now. Thing was, I couldn't afford to go to most things in Califonia since its sooooo expensive just to live there. So trade offs matter.

You are never going to find the perfect place, but you find the one which meets the greatest number of expectations. You have to give on the rest. And as far as religion goes, I'm going to put a cover on the front windows which leak air and do a Yule candle and say Happy Yule. I don't like the dominance of one religion even into schools and government, but I think everyone who needs it should find the right place for themselves and celebrate the life spirit however they choose. But privately, no monuments on the state lawn.

If I wanted to have a social life and date and go out then I'd probably not be so content, so what makes you happy is important, and we all deserve a place which gives us enough of what we need we feel content to stay.
I agree no place is perfect. Anywhere I've lived has had perks and annoyances, but I feel there is a place for everyone where the pros outweigh the cons, or where there are enough redeeming factors to make it a good place to live. A huge problem I have with OKC is that it's way too slow-paced. I also think the "cheap" cost of living is hyped, because I've incurred a ton of hidden costs. Gas is cheap here, but I spend more on it per month than I did at home because I have no choice but to drive everywhere and have to drive farther to boot. Food costs me a lot more here, so do clothes and goods. I also have to juggle my work schedule A LOT to do very basic things here. A good example is my leasing office. They have limited hours, but theirs are far more generous than others I've come across in town. At home, apartment offices are typically open standard business hours (and frequently into the evening) plus Saturdays, with some offices open on Sundays as well. Grocery stores are typically open earlier and later, doctors have more accommodating hours, public transit is more extensive and runs earlier and later, etc. I'm glad to go.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I know but what I think bugs some folk is that he does not say where he comes from....that's so much
better than OKC...FOMC....LOL
You'll fit right in here. I won't miss how nosy people are in this town. And in the spirit of your annoying YouTube flooding with videos no one watches, here's a song to celebrate the end of a very dark era:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJIvyaK2-ic

Old 12-12-2014, 06:47 PM

34,313 posts, read 20,607,731 times
Quote:
You'll fit right in here. I won't miss how nosy people are in this town. And in the spirit of your annoying YouTube flooding with videos no one watches, here's a song to celebrate the end of a very dark era:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJIvyaK2-ic

Face it, you are unhappy and we get that. Now you keep lashing out like a small child.

I watch howest's videos. So once again your generalizations are a reflection of your unhappy state.

You keep making gross generalizations to justify your unhappiness. Yet those same reasons don't make everyone else unhappy. Perhaps you and Atl and jDenver can get together and have a nice b* session. Maybe you three can find happiness sharing your unhappiness. I would love to see that.

To justify your choice to be unhappy you make statements that make it more and more apparent your mental health is questionable. I think you already posted in another thread you are actually having physical ailments now due to your unhappiness. Seek professional help. Does depression run in your family?

All your reasons for hating Oklahoma are legitimate for you. Yet they don't make others so hateful. I am not hateful towards other humans that are different from myself. I have friends from all walks of life, and all colors, races, and religious beliefs.

I don't care if people are religious or pagan or traditional. A prime example is a tall building makes a cross out of lights during Christmas season makes your blood boil. That is not reason enough to make me hate Oklahoma. It just doesn't bother me. Yet you are tormented by the sight of a cross during the Christmas season. That says a lot more about you than it does about Oklahoma.

Sorry, COL is a part of life. Whether that cost comes from groceries or whatever. Still the COL does not make me miserable like you. See a pattern here? We all face hidden costs, such as groceries, or whatever, yet not all okies run around crying and getting physically ill over them.

I encourage you to keep whining. Other folks who are reading this forum may learn just how unhappy a person can choose to be and learn something about how pathetic a hater can be, all the while blaming everyone and everything around them for their unhappiness.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:00 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,748,362 times
Quote:
My issue with the secularism goes back to what I told the OP about the buildings lighting up select floors to display the cross. That was an odd thing for me to see the first time, and it still feels odd though I've spent the past few Christmases here. I was in downtown Dallas a couple years ago on Christmas Eve and they had a lot of standard lights/decorations at the street level. I went to Vegas one year around this time and the decorations were very low key. Anywhere else I've ever been around the holidays I haven't seen the cross on several buildings, so it comes off as though it's intentionally excluding non-Christians and desperately holding onto (and trying to reaffirm and reassure) that this is the Bible Belt. It feels as though it condones and endorses only one type of religion, and I think that can be very off-putting to a lot of people. I know Christians at home, and I showed them pics of those buildings, and they even agreed that was a bit much. I'm glad you can celebrate it as you want. I'd rather sleep in and take in some quiet, so maybe next year
Here is a photo link showing what dvxhd is talking about. However, it has to be night time with fog cleared out before you can see a cross. Maybe if he moves, it will be someplace with less fog during the cold months. I'm against the government publicly putting up symbols of religion. The private places, especially the churches, should have the right to put up what they want for their religion: Weather Webcams | Weather Underground

Old 12-12-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Face it, you are unhappy and we get that. Now you keep lashing out like a small child.

I watch howest's videos. So once again your generalizations are a reflection of your unhappy state.

You keep making gross generalizations to justify your unhappiness. Yet those same reasons don't make everyone else unhappy. Perhaps you and Atl and jDenver can get together and have a nice b* session. Maybe you three can find happiness sharing your unhappiness. I would love to see that.

To justify your choice to be unhappy you make statements that make it more and more apparent your mental health is questionable. I think you already posted in another thread you are actually having physical ailments now due to your unhappiness. Seek professional help. Does depression run in your family?

All your reasons for hating Oklahoma are legitimate for you. Yet they don't make others so hateful. I am not hateful towards other humans that are different from myself. I have friends from all walks of life, and all colors, races, and religious beliefs.

I don't care if people are religious or pagan or traditional. A prime example is a tall building makes a cross out of lights during Christmas season makes your blood boil. That is not reason enough to make me hate Oklahoma. It just doesn't bother me. Yet you are tormented by the sight of a cross during the Christmas season. That says a lot more about you than it does about Oklahoma.

Sorry, COL is a part of life. Whether that cost comes from groceries or whatever. Still the COL does not make me miserable like you. See a pattern here? We all face hidden costs, such as groceries, or whatever, yet not all okies run around crying and getting physically ill over them.

I encourage you to keep whining. Other folks who are reading this forum may learn just how unhappy a person can choose to be and learn something about how pathetic a hater can be, all the while blaming everyone and everything around them for their unhappiness.
I'm unhappy here. If there's one good thing I can say about Oklahoma it's that it makes every vacation I take that much more enjoyable. I was very happy before I had to come here. And when you tell people who give you very vague generalizations about what they want in a town, and you sell them on a place like this, you're just asking for more unhappy people to come here. Good god... I work in marketing and see this all the time: people explain something one way, but they're often doing a terrible job at expressing what they really want. I would be happy to join those two, but I'll be out of here in about 2 1/2 weeks as I accepted the position. When I'm gone, after a few weeks or so I'll resort to my usual personality. If I had a new user name and you saw one of my posts, I would be unrecognizable.

My mental health now isn't so hot, though it's already improving since this offer today. I finally feel happy and motivated, and that I've reached the light at the end of the tunnel. And yes, I'll admit I have had a lot of new issues I've never had before coming here: loss of appetite, loss of libido, frequent headaches, easily agitated, belligerence, aggression, foul temper, lack of motivation, increased isolation, low energy... and yet, when I leave Oklahoma that all magically goes away. I've been on two vacation this year and none of those issues were a problem. In fact, I was very pleasant, polite and cordial to the locals when I was out of town. If you're referring to psychiatric problems, then no. There is no family history of anything of that sort. This is purely situational. I also usually don't have an issue with anyone unless they do something to directly affect my life or well-being. After my experience with people here, that has changed.

The issue with the cross, before a number of you decided to jump down my throat and hijack this thread, was a direct response to the OP and what his stance on religion is. I expressed my perspective on what this means. I have never seen that in any other city I've ever been to during the holidays. I explained that it's indicative of the kind of culture he can expect here. Get it now?

Who said cost of living isn't a part of life? I'm just tired of people saying how cheap it is here, when it really isn't as cheap as people make it out to be. I also believe cost of living should be justifiable. I think OKC is overpriced for what it has to offer. New York may be expensive, but I think the cost is justified for what you have at your fingertips.

And I encourage you to keep persuading people to move here when it's not in their best interests, and probably isn't in reality a good idea. Eventually you'll have a ton of people who hate it here and can't wait to leave, and they'll need a way to cope with it. I lived in cities with sizable transplant populations, and eventually you'll start getting more people who will openly express their feelings, and you'll probably start hearing it in public. Tell you what: for the remainder of my time here, I will respond to any such post that way and try to motivate uncertain people to make the move. When the bait and switch happens, you'll now have another malcontent amongst you.

Old 12-13-2014, 01:47 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,748,362 times
I haven't traveled around the world and only traveled to 21 states, and have never lived in any other state than Oklahoma. So from not having much direct experience from seeing what makes Oklahoma and its people worse than the rest of the world, that leaves me without much reason to hate Oklahoma much, which I don't. Ignorance is bliss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City