Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 08:41 AM

17,809 posts, read 13,708,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post

OK, I will not go on the attack here.

That point was not complete crap. I've seen you blatantly say things that aren't true, but OKC looks that much better when you do it.

Like what? Give me an example of something I said that was "blatantly not true".

Okay then. Take your damn venue and go enjoy this wonderful weather that's been happening lately and watch it.

These types of water sports have about a sixth month season, but the point of all that was that someone has come in from the outside and done this. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have come here and done restaurants and the like. I do know that the guy who opened Oasis II came here from NYC but that was a long time ago and you probably wouldn't count that because it's now well established.

No, every coffee shop I've ever been to is open only in the summer. Then it's a dry spell for 9 months.

I don't have any problem admitting that OKC is weak on the coffee front because I respect coffee drinking about as much as you respect rowing. Pretty much a ridiculous indulgence. But whatever. I just want to point out that there is a reason they drink coffee in Seattle. To warm up from the dampness.

Will they come? I'll refer you to the marketing links in that other thread, and companies actually use that data and more. I gave that OP something to consider, but it's far more detailed than that. I'm not going to hold my breath on that one. There's a reason they aren't coming here.

In some of the cases it could be some of the state laws for which you should get points. We all know we have some archaic laws. However aside from that, when OKC meets whatever formula they have to enter the market here they will. Money is money.

Of course I'll forget about you and most of you because I won't be spending free time on here. That's the benefit of living in a real city: things to do that aren't a waste of life. I wasted enough life here, and I'm not going to do that when I move.

We wish you well. I hope you do enjoy the amenities of your new environs.

Still, why do you care about where I go or what I do? Is that just the inherent nosiness in this culture coming out of you?

Inherent nosiness of the culture. Okaaay. No it's just sort of "cute" how you keep your little secret. Probably 99% of the people on the forum would say. 'Hey, I got a job in New York City. Can't wait to go.'

And 99% of the people on the forum would say "Great. Good luck to you. And maybe suggest one of those popular ethnic eating places that they have been to. Or some coffee shop maybe.

It's just your strange attitude that if you told us where you were going that it would result in someone doing you some sort of harm. And I'd assume that you have given your notice to the local firm so it's not like they would care if you put it on some message board.

But if you want to keep it a secret. So be it.
Best of luck to you in your adventures. You are young and ambitious and OKC makes you miserable so by all means be excited about your new job and your new city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 08:47 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,795,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
I'm a boy
I know, I mistyped.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:54 AM

17,809 posts, read 13,708,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TetonTank View Post
well, even though there are some trying to sway my decision to not coming to OKC. But, its the best thing for my family at this point, and that what the original intent. I should be there in around MARCH, and my family will follow a few months later.

Thank you all for your input, ive got a pretty good idea what im comming into, but with my previous background, im not afraid of change.
Welcome to town. If I were coming from SE Idaho I would think the things I would miss would be the spectacular scenery. There ain't no Tetons here when you look to the east. That's for sure. And summers here are going to be miserable compared to up there. But winters as a rule will be milder.

Despite protestations about OKC being a 'rotten city' we should have more going on than Pocatello, or Blackfoot or Idaho Falls has on a general basis.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:00 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,795,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
You have to make a decision based on your *whole* life. If you are that unhappy and there are no eligable women around, then start putting out feelers in other areas. Don't sit around and complain.

And the weather isn't awful. Its much prefereable to places like the desert or somewhere it shows double figures of feet of snow each year. And if you have to stick around, look at it with positive reasons. To show longevity and get experience is a positive thing. You pick the plus or the minus, nobody tells you what it has to be. Its in the attitude YOU choose to have.

I personally have had a welcome attitude as an outsider, and I have embrased the things I love, and consider the others as stuff which you put up with anywhere. You'll never find your paradise, and you have to understand that anywhere will have something which isn't you, or something you miss, or something you find dissapointing. And if you come onto people with the attitude you show in your post, you'll get it returned.

And you don't have to 'join the club' and be just like the locals but just respect their choices. Maybe they aren't going to want you as a buddy, but the agressively negative attitude your posts have will make sure nobody is going to try to look past you being different. If you have to stick around to get work time, think about those personal references too. Do you show this attitude at work? If someone asks if you get along with others are they going to say not really?

Maybe your so unhappy you should just move, take a job at the same level of experience, and find a place you want to be. But people who are obviously unhappy are noticed and not always in the best light. Look over your life and decide what really matters.

I used to live in socal. It wasn't home anymore and I wanted out. Leaving was taking a huge chance, but I could sit there and be miserable and hate my apartment, or actively persue a way out. You would be surprised how good it makes you feel just to start that persuit.
You're jumping to a conclusion about me which isn't true. The only time people at work know I don't love it here is when a client asks in a meeting, "so what do you think of OK?" Thats an issue for me because I have a hard time lying. I usually joke about the weather or something, but I think they can tell. But other than that, people at the office like me and I've been promoted. I'm now part of management and well liked. My posts here are just to vent, which I do not do at work. Also, I don't give off negativity when I meet someone new. Heck, I'm so happy to meet someone new here because its so hard. I make a good first impression.

But I am starting to think about moving. I've been here 2 years and not getting any younger. I really want to find a woman I can marry and the pool here is extremely shallow. I tend to only date women not from here because they're more cultured and open minded and don't have 3 kids and sun damage like the local women do (thats sort of a joke and generalization, and sort of true). There's another thread on here with an article about how unattractive OK natives are. I find that offensive, and it would make me mad if I was from here. But I haven't met a ton of attractive, single women here. Thats all I can really say about it. To your point, I have expanded my geographic preferences to Dallas, but women in Dallas aren't typically going to give me the time of day because I live here and there's a million other options in their own city.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:44 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,192,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Like what? Give me an example of something I said that was "blatantly not true".

For starters... "Oklahoma is not all that dissimilar to Idaho in terms of some of the rugged individualism." (I don't see a lot of emphasis placed on individualism here compared to Western states) "It's not a bad place to raise a family as Oklahoma is pretty grounded and it still has a soul." (Oklahoma was featured prominently in that documentary Bully while people on this forum have mentioned their children being bullied in school more compared to their hometowns, and it also has poor education rates. I don't even know what you mean by soul.) "While some people claim that people here are unwelcoming to outsiders, I don't sense that." (I would have had an easier time with locals if this were remotely true.)

These types of water sports have about a sixth month season, but the point of all that was that someone has come in from the outside and done this. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have come here and done restaurants and the like. I do know that the guy who opened Oasis II came here from NYC but that was a long time ago and you probably wouldn't count that because it's now well established.

I'm talking about things you can do all year. OKC has a very low foreign-born population, and with that immigrants aren't spicing up what it has to offer. American transplants don't seem to be starting up businesses in large numbers here either. OKC lacks dynamism because it's not drawing in a lot of transplants from outside of Oklahoma, it's often overlooked and forgotten and it is/isn't attracting certain types of people. To clarify the last point, young people with a progressive mindset, artists and entrepreneurs aren't flocking here, but more conservative and older people are, as are people who need the low cost of living because the skill set they have has limits in income potential.

I don't have any problem admitting that OKC is weak on the coffee front because I respect coffee drinking about as much as you respect rowing. Pretty much a ridiculous indulgence. But whatever. I just want to point out that there is a reason they drink coffee in Seattle. To warm up from the dampness.
Coffee culture is just part of Seattle's psyche, much in the way it has a strong presence in Paris and Vienna. The point of that though is that Seattleites who miss the coffee culture at home don't seem to be bringing this sort of thing to OKC, which benefits the city and the people who live here with another option. If a sort of place opened here near me I would go, but if a North Carolina-style barbecue place opened I wouldn't because I don't eat that kind of food. Regardless, those are two options that give residents more of a choice.

In some of the cases it could be some of the state laws for which you should get points. We all know we have some archaic laws. However aside from that, when OKC meets whatever formula they have to enter the market here they will. Money is money.

It isn't only the state laws. I heard Oklahoma outlawed tattoo shops until somewhat recently. It's also no secret that the liquor laws here prevent some businesses from opening. But beyond the data in those links I provided in that other thread, there are many, many more things businesses have to consider before moving. Money is money, but will the locals buy it? Companies look at trends and buying patterns, crime, demographics, etc. to know if it's worthwhile to spend the money to set up shop, which they won't do if they won't make money. Look at a high-end clothing shop like Barney's. They have locations in several US cities, but that's because there's enough money and a customer base to be there. They have a store in Vegas, which doesn't have that many people, but that city has enough tourists with money to make it profitable. While there are people in OKC who can afford a luxury like that, there aren't enough of them and there aren't enough tourists to support that kind of store. Grocery stores are another example. If a company operated a low-, mid- and high-end series of stores they'd have to look at a lot of factors. OKC has a number of low- and mid-end grocers, so competition would be stiffer. It doesn't have many high-end stores, so there's a potential market. The liquor laws are a deterrent there because of beer and wine sales, but more than that is the kind of business they operate. People typically don't go that far for groceries, so they need a wealthy neighborhood with a high population density in order for that to make sense. IKEA is another store that probably won't open in the near future. People will go farther for furniture than they would for groceries, but those stores are huge and are thus expensive to build and operate. OKC just doesn't have the population or buying patterns to support that. Beyond liquor laws, the market is what prevents many new places from opening up here.

Inherent nosiness of the culture. Okaaay. No it's just sort of "cute" how you keep your little secret. Probably 99% of the people on the forum would say. 'Hey, I got a job in New York City. Can't wait to go.'

And 99% of the people on the forum would say "Great. Good luck to you. And maybe suggest one of those popular ethnic eating places that they have been to. Or some coffee shop maybe.

It's just your strange attitude that if you told us where you were going that it would result in someone doing you some sort of harm. And I'd assume that you have given your notice to the local firm so it's not like they would care if you put it on some message board.

But if you want to keep it a secret. So be it.

Yes, this culture is very nosy. Anyone can see on the schedule when someone has an odd day off, like in the middle of the week instead of a Monday or Friday to make a 3-day weekend. Usually this implies something medical. It's not my business, so I don't ask. However, I've taken time off for medical reasons and I've had people ask (not managers, HR reps, etc.) and they really want to know why I won't be in that day. I've been grilled about what I do on the weekends, why I chose a schedule that has me starting later, what my starting pay was, etc. That's no one's business but mine, and it's odd to me because I'm used to a much more private culture where those kinds of questions aren't usually asked. If someone wants to volunteer that information, that's on them. Giving notice is no excuse to coast and stop caring about the job you do. I could just sit around at work and collect a paycheck, but instead I'm on overdrive to give them a head start before busy season. You can also be fired pretty easily in your final period, and I still have a lot of cash coming in if I retain this job. You really need to get with the times: employers can and will search your online presence. And to be honest, I was working with a career counselor in New York to help expedite my move. I went that route because of the prevalence and high standards of my industry in New York, and I needed someone who was used to a highly competitive market. In meeting with the counselor, she was going over alternative job search strategies, searched a term that actually brought her to this forum and she was reading some of these posts that I and others have written. Read these in full and it would be much, much, much easier to pinpoint someone's identity. That was amazingly random, but it goes to show you how easy it can be to learn more about someone and at my last job before I moved, the company was actively scouring the internet to get rid of people. They closed a lot of retail outlets, then fired a lot of executives/consolidated operations, and by the time they got to my office they had higher unemployment penalties, so they started doing very shady things to get rid of people with loopholes to avoid paying unemployment. They made too many mistakes, so it didn't work. They got rid of people, but had to keep paying more because of sloppiness. So, if you'll pardon me, I'm cautious what I put out there.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:52 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,590,972 times
Quote:
TetonTank....
This is where we stand:
-We have a house in IDAHO. We fear having to pay 2
rents/mortgages

-I've been offered a job in the $25+/hr job in OKC
-We have 3 kids
-im mixed (black and white) my wife is White. (what, if any, problems
would might we have).

Turn your house in Idaho over to a realtor and let your rent payment cover your mortgage payments

Quote:
We are not sure how to go about making this decisions.
-cost of living

Among the lowest in the Country

Quote:
-crime rate

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Quote:
-school system (we currently home school, due to lack of education
emphasis here)
OKC Magnet Schools are among the best in the Nation , below is a web site for the public schools
Oklahoma Gets B- In New National School Ranking - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Quote:
-how far will 6k/month go in OKC and the surrounding areas. (i plan to be
sole bread winner)

COLA Calculator Cost of Living comparison calculator

Relocation Tool http://www.packimpex.ch/destination-...FUmUfgoddWQA7Q

Quote:
-Traffic in and out of okc and from and to surrounding areas.

In Depth: 10 Best Cities For Commuters - Forbes

Quote:
-which ares should we research in terms of living in.

Visit OKC.....

Quote:
-Weather tendencies. Tornadoes are MY biggest fear.

Buy A Tornado Shelter For Family $3,000 to $15,000

Quote:
-Gun Laws (very easy going here in IDAHO) we have many guns and would hate to
part with any of them.

Buy GunBox... https://www.thegunbox.com/product.ph...aign=bingbrand
Again thank you to all that choose to answer. We would like ALL comments, and will take what we see here for what its worth, but will help in our research into making our decision.[/quote]

Last edited by Yac; 12-31-2014 at 06:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City