Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 03:35 PM

17,825 posts, read 13,738,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:

Yes, you've been too loose with my information. If ATLguy wants me to network on his behalf, I will. All he has to do is send me a DM and I'll see what I can do once I get set up. Just remember, as Shakespeare wrote: "What is the city but the people?" Now, I know like most people around here you frown on education and see that as something to be ashamed of, so take that as you will. You just keep telling skeptical people to make the major life decision to move here, even when it isn't in their best interests. Soon, you'll have more like me to take my place. And to expand on that quote, that is the bulk of the reason I want to leave. The attitude and local culture of people here is appalling to me, and this town is the way it is in what it offers (and doesn't) because of the people here and the people moving here. You aren't getting transplants who want to set up shop and add to what this place has. In other words, you aren't getting a lot of creative types or people trying to make it better when they move.
Gosh where does one start.

Nobody really cares about you enough to mess with your "information". Compete paranoia and bloated sense of self importance you are displaying here.

Second, this idea that "I don't care about education." Did you pull that out of your anal pore or have you been checking out my "information" Yes, very ashamed of my education. I especially frown on my father's endowed chair at the OUHSC. Completely ashamed of that.

You claim I keep telling skeptical people to make the major life decision to move here when it's against their best interest. What? I provide my perspective of what it is like here, and unlike yours, my perspective isn't jaded and disingenuous. Our friend from Idaho could move anywhere and I could come up with something good to say about the place. Just because you are miserable here doesn't mean everybody else will be. Quite frankly, others who come here won't work so hard to be miserable like you and Atlantaguy do. The fact that you make this assumption about newcomers is the height of misguided arrogance.

As for your premise that we aren't getting transplants who want to set up shop and add to what this place has?

Ever heard of Mike Knopp? Mike Knopp came in here and made OKC an Olympic caliber rowing and paddle sports venue. Now he could have come in here and whined about this not being like Boston or some other big time rowing city. He could have come in here and whined about the Clam chowder and crabs. Instead, he got people to buy in and took OKC from a non existent rowing community to one of the best ones.

I'm truly grateful that you got a new job and are getting to move to that secret new city that has 4+ million residents since OKC has "ruined" your mental health. We've worked hard to make you miserable. Now we are passing the misery torch on to your new destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 07:53 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,193,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Gosh where does one start.

Nobody really cares about you enough to mess with your "information". Compete paranoia and bloated sense of self importance you are displaying here.

Second, this idea that "I don't care about education." Did you pull that out of your anal pore or have you been checking out my "information" Yes, very ashamed of my education. I especially frown on my father's endowed chair at the OUHSC. Completely ashamed of that.

You claim I keep telling skeptical people to make the major life decision to move here when it's against their best interest. What? I provide my perspective of what it is like here, and unlike yours, my perspective isn't jaded and disingenuous. Our friend from Idaho could move anywhere and I could come up with something good to say about the place. Just because you are miserable here doesn't mean everybody else will be. Quite frankly, others who come here won't work so hard to be miserable like you and Atlantaguy do. The fact that you make this assumption about newcomers is the height of misguided arrogance.

As for your premise that we aren't getting transplants who want to set up shop and add to what this place has?

Ever heard of Mike Knopp? Mike Knopp came in here and made OKC an Olympic caliber rowing and paddle sports venue. Now he could have come in here and whined about this not being like Boston or some other big time rowing city. He could have come in here and whined about the Clam chowder and crabs. Instead, he got people to buy in and took OKC from a non existent rowing community to one of the best ones.

I'm truly grateful that you got a new job and are getting to move to that secret new city that has 4+ million residents since OKC has "ruined" your mental health. We've worked hard to make you miserable. Now we are passing the misery torch on to your new destination.
Oh? You mean like employers? I've seen that happen firsthand. And that employer did it through online forums like this, Facebook, Yelp, etc. Oklahoma doesn't exactly have employee-friendly laws. I also knew someone who rubbed people the wrong way online, and someone stole his identity.

I made that comment about education because of how condescending you get if anyone displays it. Oh wow... your father's chair, not yours. You should wear that as a badge of honor. Sarah Palin has slammed Obama for being a Harvard graduate and acts like she's above him because she didn't go there, and just look at her!

No, your perspective is to shoot down anything that contradicts what you believe. Like I said, I'm all for more people moving here and clogging your state with more naysayers. I've said it, ATLguy has said: the more transplants you have, the more likely you are to hear things you don't want to hear about the state. People made poor, ill-informed choices, were out thousands of dollars in moving expenses and were stuck until they could afford to move. Unfortunately for you, the dollar amount people get paid here is low enough that these people will be in for the long-haul. You have something good to say, but you can't leave it at that. You also can't judge whether or not that's good for someone. If I posed a question to this forum that I wanted to move here, and this is my list of what I need, you wouldn't point out that OKC probably isn't a good fit. You also have to go on the attack when someone has an opposing viewpoint, even if the person needs or wants to know that bit of information. I pointed out early on "our friend" is looking at a wage that probably won't support five people even in OKC. Whatever though, he's made his choice and will find out when he gets here.

Mike Knopp, another wow. I mean yawn. That example almost made me choke too. That's a big accomplishment you chose to reference? I don't see transplanted Seattleites opening up coffee bars. I don't see native New Yorkers opening up pizzerias and delis. I don't see Aztlános bringing in decent Southwest cuisine. I don't see foreign immigrants flocking here and adding flavor to this rotten town with business ventures. I barely see corporations trying to take that risk. Whole Foods doesn't appear to be expanding here soon. Trader Joe's, Wells Fargo, World Market, IKEA, Nordstrom (not the Rack version)... the list goes on. Like most people here, you can't seem to wrap your head around why they won't.

Yeah... misery. You do realize that I'll probably disappear from this site altogether, right? If I have a question others can answer in another room I may ask there, but otherwise I'll probably forget this site. Unlike you, I won't be spending my free time on this forum when I'll have plenty of other things to do. I mean, any time I'm fortunate enough to leave this state I have almost endless energy, more motivation, no headaches, more engagement with people, etc. Yeah, yeah, yeah... say that's a vacation if you want, but that's how I was before I moved. If you have no ambition for yourself in life but to wait around to die here, that's your prerogative. I'm going to try to make up for the wasted years I spent here. I will enjoy my "mystery city" which I don't share with you, because you're really nothing to me. I don't owe you anything, I couldn't care less what fortune or misfortune happens to you, and frankly only people that I feel matter to me know where I'm going. My family knows, my coworkers know, but it doesn't really matter if you do. Take your pick of any of those 4 million+ cities, because all with maybe the exception of Detroit are far better than OKC will ever be.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:14 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,798,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
If I wanted to have a social life and date and go out then I'd probably not be so content, so what makes you happy is important, and we all deserve a place which gives us enough of what we need we feel content to stay.
Exactly. This is one of my biggest issues with this "city". I thought cities had lots of singles. Well, cities in the midwest (aside from Chicago I guess) certainly do not because of the culture to get married at 21. SO living here just further delays me meeting someone I can potentially marry, because I know its not going to happen here. So I just work and have almost no social life. Add the awful weather and the attitudes of people to new comers here, and I have to get out. I can;t get out fast enough just like dvxhd. But like her, I need to show longevity in my job, so kind of stuck.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Exactly. This is one of my biggest issues with this "city". I thought cities had lots of singles. Well, cities in the midwest (aside from Chicago I guess) certainly do not because of the culture to get married at 21. SO living here just further delays me meeting someone I can potentially marry, because I know its not going to happen here. So I just work and have almost no social life. Add the awful weather and the attitudes of people to new comers here, and I have to get out. I can;t get out fast enough just like dvxhd. But like her, I need to show longevity in my job, so kind of stuck.
I'm a boy

Old 12-18-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
Oh? You mean like employers? I've seen that happen firsthand. And that employer did it through online forums like this, Facebook, Yelp, etc. Oklahoma doesn't exactly have employee-friendly laws. I also knew someone who rubbed people the wrong way online, and someone stole his identity.

Good grief, being willing to admit that you are looking at a megalopolis for a job isn't going to get you found out.:roll eyes: Nobody knows who you are by that.

I made that comment about education because of how condescending you get if anyone displays it. Oh wow... your father's chair, not yours. You should wear that as a badge of honor. Sarah Palin has slammed Obama for being a Harvard graduate and acts like she's above him because she didn't go there, and just look at her!

I have never been condescending about education. Yours or anybody else's. From what you have said, you have an advanced degree, congrats.. So do I. So do a lot of people. Even in Oklahoma.

No, your perspective is to shoot down anything that contradicts what you believe. Like I said, I'm all for more people moving here and clogging your state with more naysayers. I've said it, ATLguy has said: the more transplants you have, the more likely you are to hear things you don't want to hear about the state.

No, I get tired of you guys pissing and moaning and acting like this place is Muleshoe, TX. You guys both act like big babies. Blaming a 'place' for your personal misery is childish. At least to anybody having to listen to it to the level that you present it.

People made poor, ill-informed choices, were out thousands of dollars in moving expenses and were stuck until they could afford to move. Unfortunately for you, the dollar amount people get paid here is low enough that these people will be in for the long-haul. You have something good to say, but you can't leave it at that. You also can't judge whether or not that's good for someone.

If I posed a question to this forum that I wanted to move here, and this is my list of what I need, you wouldn't point out that OKC probably isn't a good fit. You also have to go on the attack when someone has an opposing viewpoint, even if the person needs or wants to know that bit of information. I pointed out early on "our friend" is looking at a wage that probably won't support five people even in OKC. Whatever though, he's made his choice and will find out when he gets here.

This is complete crap. I am willing to present an accurate picture of Oklahoma. If a guy who was a mountain climber wanted to come here I would tell him this is not the place. However if he was a rock climber I would I would tell him we have a couple of places he could go, but not to the extent of western cities.

Mike Knopp, another wow. I mean yawn. That example almost made me choke too. That's a big accomplishment you chose to reference?

Yes I'd say being an Olympic caliber rowing venue is a bigger deal than a coffee shop or or a pizza place.
By an astounding margin I might add.

I don't see transplanted Seattleites opening up coffee bars.

I'm not a coffee guy but it's ironic you mention this because my father (the guy with the endowed chair) just mentioned that in his small town (Waukomis, OK) a guy from Seattle opened up a coffee shop. I assume that if somebody did that in a town of 1200 somebody might have done the same in OKC.
There you know my dad has an endowed chair at OUHSC and he is from Waukomis, OK. Steal my identity.:roll eyes:

And another thing you can scratch off your list. The southwestern food thing. There is a restaurant in Norman that I helped start named Pepe Delgados. The guy that owns it came here sight unseen from California. That was 22 years ago. Says it's the best thing he ever did. Met his wife here (gee Atl guy, it can happen). You need to go down there and try it, and after you eat there you can be sure and tell Emilio that his food isn't any good.

I don't see foreign immigrants flocking here and adding flavor to this rotten town with business ventures. I barely see corporations trying to take that risk. Whole Foods doesn't appear to be expanding here soon. Trader Joe's, Wells Fargo, World Market, IKEA, Nordstrom (not the Rack version)... the list goes on. Like most people here, you can't seem to wrap your head around why they won't.

I will grant you that we aren't a magnet for this exclusive brand places, but why is this an indictment on OKC. They'll come sooner or later if the economy holds up. And how many cities are they in that are OKCs size anyway. But if you are a big shopper I can see how this might bother you.

Yeah... misery. You do realize that I'll probably disappear from this site altogether, right?

[b]Good. All you do is whine and moan.

If I have a question others can answer in another room I may ask there, but otherwise I'll probably forget this site. Unlike you, I won't be spending my free time on this forum when I'll have plenty of other things to do.

Happy for you.

I mean, any time I'm fortunate enough to leave this state I have almost endless energy, more motivation, no headaches, more engagement with people, etc. Yeah, yeah, yeah... say that's a vacation if you want, but that's how I was before I moved.

We WANT you to be happy.

If you have no ambition for yourself in life but to wait around to die here, that's your prerogative. I'm going to try to make up for the wasted years I spent here. I will enjoy my "mystery city" which I don't share with you, because you're really nothing to me. I don't owe you anything, I couldn't care less what fortune or misfortune happens to you,

Again. Completely childish comments. Another example of bloated ego and self importance. Do you think it really matters to me whether you tell me or not? It's just kind of 'cute' that you have this little secret like some six year old girl. And I'm certainly glad you couldn't care less about my fortune or misfortune. After all, you are going to have so much to do in your new secret city that you will forget about little 'ole me. Thank goodness. If you had to stay here you would probably obsess about me 24/7 because you are so bored and depressed.

and frankly only people that I feel matter to me know where I'm going. My family knows, my coworkers know, but it doesn't really matter if you do. Take your pick of any of those 4 million+ cities, because all with maybe the exception of Detroit are far better than OKC will ever be.

Well I'm glad you let SOMEBODY in on your little secret. Be sure you tell your coworkers how miserable you were on your way ought the door.

Oh, by the way, Sarah Palin graduated from the University of Idaho.

Last edited by eddie gein; 12-18-2014 at 07:18 AM..

Old 12-18-2014, 06:59 AM

And as a final parting gift for Dvxhd:

This came off of the web. For Dvxhd it is a cautionary tale.

For everybody else, it's a 'grass is always greener' story from a guy who lived in NYC. Read it and chuckle.

[quote]
Quote:
The trouble starts when you lose your perspective. And this happens to everyone in New York sooner or later. The daily grind wears on you. You’re tired all the time. Constant fatigue without a break dampens your spirit. Especially when everyone you meet is more focused on a career than a relationship. That’s what happened to me, and some of you reading this are nodding your heads.
I lived in New York in the 90’s. While it was great for the most part, I found I was unhappy there by year six. I blamed the city for this, and felt I had to get out.
I left for the Pacific Northwest. The scenery was breathtaking. The climate was beautiful, if a little wet. Surely, happiness awaited me here, amongst the lush green foliage. No. Next was the Mid-West. Salt of the Earth kind of folks. Plain and honest land, where a good work ethic will get you ahead. And all the space! Here there will be happiness! No.
And so I moved to the Great Lakes region. Back to an urban environment. Hustle and bustle, where things are always on the go. But all it did was remind me how much I missed New York City. What I found was I was still unhappy no matter where I lived.
I knew a guy like this in college. His area of study would require him to be in Sydney, where I was, for a semester. And somewhere else for the next. Then back to Sydney. While he was hanging with me, all he could talk about was how he couldn’t wait to get to the other place. Then he’d go there and call me to tell me how much it sucked and how he couldn’t wait to come back to Sydney.
This went on for four years. I used to joke about how he was never happy where he was. I was so close to grasping an essential truth of the human condition right there, but managed to miss it. If only there were a colloquial folk saying about this phenomenon. Perhaps involving a fence and the color of grass.
New York City
What I was slow to learn, and am still learning, is that we make our own happiness. It doesn’t matter where we are, it matters who we are. Yes, our environment is obviously a factor, but it’s only a factor, not the whole situation.
While OKC is not the greatest place in the world, our young friend needs to take this to heart.

Last edited by eddie gein; 12-18-2014 at 07:16 AM..

Old 12-18-2014, 07:09 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,555,059 times
I agree, eddie gein. I also believe we show our true character when things are not going well.

Calm seas don't make good sailors.

Again, best of luck to the OP no matter where you land.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
Good grief, being willing to admit that you are looking at a megalopolis for a job isn't going to get you found out.:roll eyes: Nobody knows who you are by that.
[/b]
I have never been condescending about education. Yours or anybody else's. From what you have said, you have an advanced degree, congrats.. So do I. So do a lot of people. Even in Oklahoma.

No, I get tired of you guys pissing and moaning and acting like this place is Muleshoe, TX. You guys both act like big babies. Blaming a 'place' for your personal misery is childish. At least to anybody having to listen to it to the level that you present it.

This is complete crap. I am willing to present an accurate picture of Oklahoma. If a guy who was a mountain climber wanted to come here I would tell him this is not the place. However if he was a rock climber I would I would tell him we have a couple of places he could go, but not to the extent of western cities.

Mike Knopp, another wow. I mean yawn. That example almost made me choke too. That's a big accomplishment you chose to reference?

Yes I'd say being an Olympic caliber rowing venue is a bigger deal than a coffee shop or or a pizza place.
By an astounding margin I might add.

I don't see transplanted Seattleites opening up coffee bars.

I'm not a coffee guy but it's ironic you mention this because my father (the guy with the endowed chair) just mentioned that in his small town (Waukomis, OK) a guy from Seattle opened up a coffee shop. I assume that if somebody did that in a town of 1200 somebody might have done the same in OKC.
There you know my dad has an endowed chair at OUHSC and he is from Waukomis, OK. Steal my identity.:roll eyes:

And another thing you can scratch off your list. The southwestern food thing. There is a restaurant in Norman that I helped start named Pepe Delgados. The guy that owns it came here sight unseen from California. That was 22 years ago. Says it's the best thing he ever did. Met his wife here (gee Atl guy, it can happen). You need to go down there and try it, and after you eat there you can be sure and tell Emilio that his food isn't any good.

I will grant you that we aren't a magnet for this exclusive brand places, but why is this an indictment on OKC. They'll come sooner or later if the economy holds up. And how many cities are they in that are OKCs size anyway. But if you are a big shopper I can see how this might bother you.

Again. Completely childish comments. Another example of bloated ego and self importance. Do you think it really matters to me whether you tell me or not? It's just kind of 'cute' that you have this little secret like some six year old girl. And I'm certainly glad you couldn't care less about my fortune or misfortune. After all, you are going to have so much to do in your new secret city that you will forget about little 'ole me. Thank goodness. If you had to stay here you would probably obsess about me 24/7 because you are so bored and depressed.

Well I'm glad you let SOMEBODY in on your little secret. Be sure you tell your coworkers how miserable you were on your way ought the door.

eddie gein;37683274]Oh, by the way, Sarah Palin graduated from the University of Idaho.
*sigh* I'm not getting into this identity thing... in part because forum rules forbid it

My issue, as I've said ad nauseum, is the people. The people make the place into what it is or isn't. The closer this move date gets, the less I care. You have 49 other states in direct competition with you for talent, labor, business, etc. Your birth rate isn't high enough to give OKC more momentum, and that would still require time. You need people moving in to make this city competitive. If it can't keep up with the times, it won't prosper. If I were to invest myself in OKC, I would probably propose a freelance piece to do what other outlets in Oklahoma fail to do: really examine the population growth situation. Why are people coming here? Do they intend to stay? What are they contributing if anything? What do they like and dislike? Where are they coming from? Why do they want to stay or leave? What factors make up their background? Cities that are growing much faster, such as Dallas, Miami, Phoenix, etc. keep track of that and learn to improve. OKC doesn't. Whatever though. It's your town and not my problem soon.

That point was not complete crap. I've seen you blatantly say things that aren't true, but OKC looks that much better when you do it.

Okay then. Take your damn venue and go enjoy this wonderful weather that's been happening lately and watch it. Surely with the OKC climate you can enjoy watching a rowing team year-round... but a coffee shop and pizzeria don't have the same stability, do they? No, every coffee shop I've ever been to is open only in the summer. Then it's a dry spell for 9 months.

Will they come? I'll refer you to the marketing links in that other thread, and companies actually use that data and more. I gave that OP something to consider, but it's far more detailed than that. I'm not going to hold my breath on that one. There's a reason they aren't coming here.

Of course I'll forget about you and most of you because I won't be spending free time on here. That's the benefit of living in a real city: things to do that aren't a waste of life. I wasted enough life here, and I'm not going to do that when I move.

Still, why do you care about where I go or what I do? Is that just the inherent nosiness in this culture coming out of you?

Old 12-18-2014, 09:56 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,281,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
You have to make a decision based on your *whole* life. If you are that unhappy and there are no eligable women around, then start putting out feelers in other areas. Don't sit around and complain.

And the weather isn't awful. Its much prefereable to places like the desert or somewhere it shows double figures of feet of snow each year. And if you have to stick around, look at it with positive reasons. To show longevity and get experience is a positive thing. You pick the plus or the minus, nobody tells you what it has to be. Its in the attitude YOU choose to have.

I personally have had a welcome attitude as an outsider, and I have embrased the things I love, and consider the others as stuff which you put up with anywhere. You'll never find your paradise, and you have to understand that anywhere will have something which isn't you, or something you miss, or something you find dissapointing. And if you come onto people with the attitude you show in your post, you'll get it returned.

And you don't have to 'join the club' and be just like the locals but just respect their choices. Maybe they aren't going to want you as a buddy, but the agressively negative attitude your posts have will make sure nobody is going to try to look past you being different. If you have to stick around to get work time, think about those personal references too. Do you show this attitude at work? If someone asks if you get along with others are they going to say not really?

Maybe your so unhappy you should just move, take a job at the same level of experience, and find a place you want to be. But people who are obviously unhappy are noticed and not always in the best light. Look over your life and decide what really matters.

I used to live in socal. It wasn't home anymore and I wanted out. Leaving was taking a huge chance, but I could sit there and be miserable and hate my apartment, or actively persue a way out. You would be surprised how good it makes you feel just to start that persuit.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:28 PM

23 posts, read 31,167 times
well, even though there are some trying to sway my decision to not coming to OKC. But, its the best thing for my family at this point, and that what the original intent. I should be there in around MARCH, and my family will follow a few months later.

Thank you all for your input, ive got a pretty good idea what im comming into, but with my previous background, im not afraid of change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City