Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 10:28 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,253,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Good post and I agree with all of it. Oklahoma has actually turned me into the liberal that I am today. The conservatism here is just beyond "stupid." Many right-leaning people in other parts of the country have a difficult time understanding how right-wing Oklahoma actually is. It has also made me very angry towards Christianity, specifically the Baptist variety. People have a strange idea of what "freedom" is here. This is the state where lawmakers love the phrase "freedom is not doing what you want to do but doing what you ought to do." i.e., whatever the Baptists tell you to do.

I also agree about OKC being very ugly. You get used to it after you are here for a while, but when first moving here from the east coast, one of the top things that stands out is how desolate everything is. In terms of education, I have no doubt the state government is intentionally trying to sabotage the public school system. They want parents to send their kids to private fundamental Baptist schools. School vouchers are probably the most popular form of education reform here for this reason.

The worst decision I ever made in my life was moving back to OKC and I hope to one day be able to get out. To be fair, Oklahoma City itself isn't near as bad as the state as a whole, but it's just not large enough to pull enough weight to counter the rural interests in the state legislature.

All the lawmakers have to do is wave the Bible and most Oklahomans will forget all about all the damage they are doing to the state.
I totally agree with your post, it's like you were reading my mind. I would move out of this crap hole in a New York minute if I could. The funny thing is, I used to love this place, but the religious nut jobs who now govern over us has made it miserable for me. It's simple to get in power here. Wrap yourself in the flag, run a a republican, say you hate Obama, have a gun on your hip and convince everyone Jeeesus told you to run. It's hard to believe there are enough shallow people who buy this crap, and vote these clowns in.

Speaking of putting these religious nut jobs in power, here is some fun reading.

State lawmaker investigated after teenage boy found in his hotel room, DA says - Tulsa World: Homepagelatest

Old 03-15-2017, 02:16 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post

Speaking of putting these religious nut jobs in power, here is some fun reading.

State lawmaker investigated after teenage boy found in his hotel room, DA says - Tulsa World: Homepagelatest
LOL, back in 2012, Sen. Shortey was the vacant headed loon who tried to advance a bill to outlaw aborted fetuses in food, even though he knew of no Oklahoma food production company doing such a thing. It never made it out of committee. It was surely one of the weirdest solutions ever concocted at the state capitol looking for a problem. But that's poor governing for you. What a pity that he got reelected in 2014.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 03-15-2017 at 02:36 AM..

Old 03-15-2017, 08:11 AM

17,806 posts, read 13,708,449 times
Quote:

I also agree about OKC being very ugly. You get used to it after you are here for a while, but when first moving here from the east coast, one of the top things that stands out is how desolate everything is.
Again, much like the criticisms of the weather here, this is overstated. For starters, OKC is on the edge of the plains. The plains are naturally not a very green area. But trees will grow here and as KanyeMo stated, some areas have done a good job with landscaping and some have not.

I would say the south side supports your argument. Very Amarillo looking. However, places like Heritage Hills, Nichol's Hills and Mesta Park are really green. The areas of OKC that are in the cross timbers look very much like northwest Arkansas without the higher points. Nothing like the plains. And I think that makes OKC kind of interesting. Another thing about OKC is that there is a mix of green and sky that is not available in places that are more forested. This is particularly tree when you get to a high point in the crosstimber areas. It's like a green carpet under the sky.

But I get your point. When I lived in the desert southwest and would come back to OKC, it seemed very green. When I lived in North Florida, I would come back to OKC and it would seem somewhat stunted and scraggly green and the trees that seemed towering when I lived in the desert seemed very short.

And as far as desolation I am going to assume that you would consider the entire great plains as being "desolate".

Old 03-15-2017, 01:49 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,819,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Again, much like the criticisms of the weather here, this is overstated. For starters, OKC is on the edge of the plains. The plains are naturally not a very green area. But trees will grow here and as KanyeMo stated, some areas have done a good job with landscaping and some have not.

I would say the south side supports your argument. Very Amarillo looking. However, places like Heritage Hills, Nichol's Hills and Mesta Park are really green. The areas of OKC that are in the cross timbers look very much like northwest Arkansas without the higher points. Nothing like the plains. And I think that makes OKC kind of interesting. Another thing about OKC is that there is a mix of green and sky that is not available in places that are more forested. This is particularly tree when you get to a high point in the crosstimber areas. It's like a green carpet under the sky.

But I get your point. When I lived in the desert southwest and would come back to OKC, it seemed very green. When I lived in North Florida, I would come back to OKC and it would seem somewhat stunted and scraggly green and the trees that seemed towering when I lived in the desert seemed very short.

You make a good point here. South OKC is a lot more "barren" than north OKC, with the exception of far NW OKC, which looks a lot like the southside. The urban core and Edmond are all quite green. Like you say though, coming from the east coast, the trees seem short and scraggly. People coming from the desert have the opposite perception of OKC, usually perceiving it as being very green.

Quote:
And as far as desolation I am going to assume that you would consider the entire great plains as being "desolate".
For the most part, yes. There are a few crown jewels though in the region, like Turner Falls and the Wichita Mountains. I haven't been there but I have heard great things about Palo Duro Canyon outside of Amarillo. Most of the Great Plains though are lacking the beauty of the more forested areas farther east or are lacking the beauty of the desert.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
LOL, back in 2012, Sen. Shortey was the vacant headed loon who tried to advance a bill to outlaw aborted fetuses in food, even though he knew of no Oklahoma food production company doing such a thing. It never made it out of committee. It was surely one of the weirdest solutions ever concocted at the state capitol looking for a problem. But that's poor governing for you. What a pity that he got reelected in 2014.
When I heard about this, I knew, without looking, that this senator belonged to the Party of Jesus(TM). It's ironic that the ones promoting family values and pious living are most of the time the ones caught in those kind of scandals.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
You make a good point here. South OKC is a lot more "barren" than north OKC, with the exception of far NW OKC, which looks a lot like the southside. The urban core and Edmond are all quite green. Like you say though, coming from the east coast, the trees seem short and scraggly. People coming from the desert have the opposite perception of OKC, usually perceiving it as being very green.

For the most part, yes. There are a few crown jewels though in the region, like Turner Falls and the Wichita Mountains. I haven't been there but I have heard great things about Palo Duro Canyon outside of Amarillo. Most of the Great Plains though are lacking the beauty of the more forested areas farther east or are lacking the beauty of the desert.
Palo Duro is worth checking out if you are heading west on I-40. I won't argue with the idea that the plains seem "desolate" but one thing that the great plains does have compared to points west is a verdant agricultural piece that makes it seem less desolate than many parts of the desert. For instance if you drive through the wheatland of Oklahoma right now it is a carpet of green. After harvest, in the heat of the summer it seems more desolate when it is plowed up red dirt.

I do think one thing you notice when you come from points east though is how short the trees are in OKC. After you've been here a while, you lose that perception until you get back in the forest.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I do think one thing you notice when you come from points east though is how short the trees are in OKC. After you've been here a while, you lose that perception until you get back in the forest.
I agree with this. Even the larger trees here are short compared to the East. A lot of people in OKC perceive the trees in Tulsa or Ft Smith to be very large, but they are short compared to the ones in Memphis. I've traveled on I-40 numerous times and going westward from Memphis, the trees gradually get shorter until disappearing around the Oklahoma/Texas PH border. I believe the annual summer drought contributes to the shorter trees. From the Mississippi River eastward, it becomes a lot less common to go for extended periods of time without rainfall in July and August, which results in much larger trees.

Old 03-16-2017, 02:00 PM

420 posts, read 805,368 times
The grass in the north and east coast is also much greener. The grass in Oklahoma is brown most of the year. I live in central Ohio (Columbus metro area) and the grass is very green for about nine months out of the year. The trees are definitely more dense and taller than in OKC. Here's a google street view of a typical street in my town (Upper Arlington):

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0438...7i13312!8i6656

Old 03-16-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
The grass in the north and east coast is also much greener. The grass in Oklahoma is brown most of the year. I live in central Ohio (Columbus metro area) and the grass is very green for about nine months out of the year. The trees are definitely more dense and taller than in OKC. Here's a google street view of a typical street in my town (Upper Arlington):

The grass is very green in Oklahoma from about Mid April through Mid to late October provided there is enough rain. I've seen it brown in July and August if there are droughts and watering bans though.

I would bet the trees turn green much sooner in Oklahoma than they do in Ohio and hold their leaves longer as well. Oklahoma starts greening in early March and is greened out by mid April almost every year. Leaves change in late October to early November and leaves are off the trees by December.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:24 PM

793 posts, read 1,113,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post

OKC has plenty of beautiful streets like that as well, not nearly as barren and desolate like you have said.:
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.4902...2!8i6656?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.4835...2!8i6656?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.5089...2!8i6656?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.5037...2!8i6656?hl=en

There's even some trees south of the river, though not as much as north of the river:
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.4394...2!8i6656?hl=en
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City