Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 07:18 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The grass is very green in Oklahoma from about Mid April through Mid to late October provided there is enough rain. I've seen it brown in July and August if there are droughts and watering bans though.
Agree with this. It's hit or miss depending on whether or not it gets very dry during the summer. The past few summers have had enough rain to keep things green from April through November.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:08 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,253,312 times
Quote:
Palo Duro is worth checking out if you are heading west on I-40. I won't argue with the idea that the plains seem "desolate" but one thing that the great plains does have compared to points west is a verdant agricultural piece that makes it seem less desolate than many parts of the desert. For instance if you drive through the wheatland of Oklahoma right now it is a carpet of green. After harvest, in the heat of the summer it seems more desolate when it is plowed up red dirt.

I do think one thing you notice when you come from points east though is how short the trees are in OKC. After you've been here a while, you lose that perception until you get back in the forest.
Another surprise on the plains is Scott's Bluff Nebraska. I was like crazy surprised when I found this place. It's like someone dropped this giant soft sandstone bolder/mountain on the plains. I think it's a National Monument. It's very much worth seeing if you're in the area.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:38 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,253,312 times
I think I was a little too rough on Oklahoma City the other day, when I was posting about how backwards our politics is. I stayed the weekend at Bricktown, and had a great time. I spent some of the time hanging out with folks up in the village. Other than going to a thunder game, or having lunch, I haven't spent much time in Bricktown in over five years. I really can't believe how much has changed in five years, on the north side of Bricktown I noticed a ton of housing, and more being built. We stayed at the aloft, and did a lot walking around, it was amazing to see how much Bricktown has grown. On our trips back and forth from the Village, I couldn't help but notice how much had been cleaned up and reinvigorated. We ate at the Classen Cure and was greatly surprised at what a nice job was done with that area.

Up until recently, I put downtown OKC below Fort Worth, but now I feel it's leaped way ahead of them. Even with all the activity in downtown Tulsa, I feel Tulsa is way behind in catching up with OKC. Tulsa has a new young and energetic mayor, that seems to work great with the city council, so different that what we've had over the last eight years. But even with that I can't see how Tulsa could catch up to OKC even in 10 years.

For the first time I feel Oklahoma had two great cities, I just wish rest of the state wouldn't drag them down.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:43 PM

17,803 posts, read 13,703,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Up until recently, I put downtown OKC below Fort Worth, but now I feel it's leaped way ahead of them.
I just wanted to highlight this. We need to bait a few Texans.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:00 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
I think I was a little too rough on Oklahoma City the other day, when I was posting about how backwards our politics is. I stayed the weekend at Bricktown, and had a great time. I spent some of the time hanging out with folks up in the village. Other than going to a thunder game, or having lunch, I haven't spent much time in Bricktown in over five years. I really can't believe how much has changed in five years, on the north side of Bricktown I noticed a ton of housing, and more being built. We stayed at the aloft, and did a lot walking around, it was amazing to see how much Bricktown has grown. On our trips back and forth from the Village, I couldn't help but notice how much had been cleaned up and reinvigorated. We ate at the Classen Cure and was greatly surprised at what a nice job was done with that area.

Up until recently, I put downtown OKC below Fort Worth, but now I feel it's leaped way ahead of them. Even with all the activity in downtown Tulsa, I feel Tulsa is way behind in catching up with OKC. Tulsa has a new young and energetic mayor, that seems to work great with the city council, so different that what we've had over the last eight years. But even with that I can't see how Tulsa could catch up to OKC even in 10 years.

For the first time I feel Oklahoma had two great cities, I just wish rest of the state wouldn't drag them down.
Great analysis.

Honestly, I think in terms of amenities and things to do, OKC isn't lacking near as much as it was just a few years ago. Key areas of downtown OKC have been transformed. One of the most notable is Uptown/23rd near the Tower Theater. 3 years ago, that was a place nobody went unless you wanted to be harassed by homeless people. Now, it's one of the most unique, vibrant places in the city.

My dislike of OKC at this point is almost entirely political in nature.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:23 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,588,909 times
I would suggest that OKC improve it's PARK SCORE RANKING in order to attract more young talented adults........

ParkScore

Old 03-29-2017, 12:37 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,588,909 times
Originally Posted by Howest2008
I could not find one point off base in the post that bawac made , OKC should take a careful look at everything that AltGuy and bawac has to say about OKC , in order to improve the general desirability and attractiveness of the city , you need to look at your negatives.

Quote:
The issue is not that their arguments don't have validity. It's just that they are exaggerated to the point of absurdity at times.

The weather thing in particular. While admittedly, we are just now entering tornado/hail season, the eastern US had an unusually active tornado season this winter.

As gr to okc said, the weather is "not that bad" here, and in the grand scheme of things it's actually pretty mild.

As to the political conservatism, yeah, it's bad, but OKC, Tulsa and a couple of other communities have a progressive community, LGBTQ community, atheist/humanist community, women's rights activists, etc.

Yes when you dislike a place you tend to Exaggerate about all of the negatives....don't you!?!?!?

Old 03-29-2017, 12:48 PM

793 posts, read 1,112,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I would suggest that OKC improve it's PARK SCORE RANKING in order to attract more young talented adults........

ParkScore
OKC's huge land area greatly skews the score to be lower. You can see on the interactive map that much of inner OKC is serviced by parks. And, I see that there are several parks that are missing in some of the "Park Need" areas far from the city center.

Last edited by KayneMo; 03-29-2017 at 01:04 PM..

Old 03-29-2017, 01:50 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,509,611 times
Quote:

Bravo, Okie!

Old 03-29-2017, 01:53 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,509,611 times
Quote:
I just wanted to highlight this. We need to bait a few Texans.

Nothin' wrong with that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City