Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 05:33 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,858 times

Advertisements

As a native Californian, I have never driven in snow apart from driving to ski resorts. Thus, I'd like some insight on the following:

1.I've read that people seldom, if never, use snow chains in OKC. How is this possible? There might not be that much snow, but aren't there lots of ice storms? Won't you skid without snow chains?

2.Does OKC salt roads? Do you find that rust on your car from the salt is a problem? How do you prevent your car from rusting?

3.Is it ever hard to start the engine due to the cold?

4. Do you frequently have to go to the car wash during the winter? Over in California, winters are very rainy, so you seldom have to go to the car wash (the rain cleans the car).

5. How big does the hail get in the spring and summer? What if you're parking in a parking lot without any shelter? Is there some sort of car cover you can buy to deflect the hail?

I'm also curious about the following:

5. How low does the winter wind chill get? Subzero?

6. Does it ever get cold enough to the point where you have to wear snow pants? Or are jeans, thermal socks, and knee-length snow boots enough?

7. Can I sleep without turning on the heating at night during the winter with thick pajamas and a couple blankets?

It is mostly winter and spring tornadoes/hailstorms that worry me. I've seen 115 degree temps in California, so summer should be a piece of cake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2019, 02:21 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
For some answers: There are not lots of ice storms, but there might be one during a winter. But where I live in Oklahoma there has only been about a couple of bad ice storms in the last 20 years.

People simply try to have enough good sense to go a lot slower when driving on snow or not at all. There aren't many steep hills, so it's not too scary for many people. If snow gets to 6 plus inches it may not be worth trying to drive on it, but most winters it doesn't get that deep.

It's not hard to start your car when real cold, unless the battery is getting old and on its last legs.

It doesn't rain as much during the winter so don't need to go to car wash as often.

Every spring the hail gets as big as peas to marble size. But you have to hope it doesn't get further big enough to damage your car or home. I've lived in Oklahoma all my life and never had hail damage my car so bad that it was quite noticeable.

If you're used to dry, desert heat, the humid summers in OKC in 90s and low 100s may not feel any better.

Old 11-09-2019, 06:21 AM

24,525 posts, read 10,846,327 times
http://www.stormersite.com/hail_repo..._oklahoma/2019

Old 11-09-2019, 08:48 AM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
As a native Californian, I have never driven in snow apart from driving to ski resorts. Thus, I'd like some insight on the following:

1.I've read that people seldom, if never, use snow chains in OKC. How is this possible? There might not be that much snow, but aren't there lots of ice storms? Won't you skid without snow chains?

Your chains would skid on the ice. I haven't seen chains on a car in Oklahoma in 50 years. Two or three ice storms a winter where driving might be hazardous for a day or two. One or two snow storms a year. Can vary.

2.Does OKC salt roads? Do you find that rust on your car from the salt is a problem? How do you prevent your car from rusting?

They salt them but it isn't very often. I've never heard of anybody complaining about rust.

3.Is it ever hard to start the engine due to the cold?

Agree with Stillwater Townie. Decent battery. No corrosion on your cables. No problem.

4. Do you frequently have to go to the car wash during the winter? Over in California, winters are very rainy, so you seldom have to go to the car wash (the rain cleans the car).

Depends on how much rain and snow. Hard to answer this one.

5. How big does the hail get in the spring and summer? What if you're parking in a parking lot without any shelter? Is there some sort of car cover you can buy to deflect the hail?

I've seen softball size hail once or twice in 50 years of living here. Hail is maybe two to three times a spring/summer. Usually small and non damaging. Best to have a garage or carport though.

I'm also curious about the following:

5. How low does the winter wind chill get? Subzero?

It can but is very rare. We can also get sub zero actual temperatures in winter. Also rare but when it happens it might stay that way for a week or two.

6. Does it ever get cold enough to the point where you have to wear snow pants? Or are jeans, thermal socks, and knee-length snow boots enough?

I suppose it can get that cold but when it gets that cold it usually doesn't snow because it is dry arctic air. I can't ever imagine needing knee length snow boots unless you are going to go camping in Oklahoma's one to two blizzards a decade.

7. Can I sleep without turning on the heating at night during the winter with thick pajamas and a couple blankets?

Hard to say. Natural gas is dirt cheap here though. Wouldn't take much to keep your dwelling around 60 degrees or so.

It is mostly winter and spring tornadoes/hailstorms that worry me. I've seen 115 degree temps in California, so summer should be a piece of cake.
The hype that the weather people make about tornadoes and hail is a bigger pain than the tornadoes themselves. Generally the whole state gets the hype for storms that never happen, aren't anywhere close to where you live, don't ever touch ground. Tornadoes should be respected but not feared. Just know what your plan is to take precautions. Hail is just a nuisance.

As far as summer goes. May is usually ok. June is warm and humid but not too bad. July and August are usually pretty rough but we usually get a break or three from the summer heat during that period. The weather usually breaks and turns to fall sometime in September although this year it was hot until October (I've never seen that before here). I'm always relieved when summer is over but compared to the desert heat out there (the Valley etc) I don't think it is bad because it's not as long and relentless

Old 11-11-2019, 08:37 AM

24,525 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Mustang/Yukon - roads are icing over, winds up to 50 mph, temps around 15F.

Old 11-11-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Mustang/Yukon - roads are icing over, winds up to 50 mph, temps around 15F.
Why are the roads icing over? Was there snow or rain recently?

Last edited by MrJester; 11-11-2019 at 06:50 PM..

Old 11-11-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The hype that the weather people make about tornadoes and hail is a bigger pain than the tornadoes themselves. Generally the whole state gets the hype for storms that never happen, aren't anywhere close to where you live, don't ever touch ground. Tornadoes should be respected but not feared. Just know what your plan is to take precautions. Hail is just a nuisance.

I asked about snowpants because I was wondering if winters are cold enough to where you need that kind of insulation. Or do you just walk around in your regular jeans in the winter?

Old 11-11-2019, 07:11 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,223,683 times
It's the huge winter storm hitting most of the US and Oklahoma is getting a glancing blow. A little bit of sleet/snow and cold temps. Roads will be fine, it was in the 70s yesterday and ground temps are way above freezing and anything that hits asphalt/concrete will melt.

Most days in the winter have highs in the 50s and jeans are fine.

Old 11-11-2019, 07:19 PM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I asked about snowpants because I was wondering if winters are cold enough to where you need that kind of insulation. Or do you just walk around in your regular jeans in the winter?
Jeans would be fine. Longjohns underneath if it really gets cold . I suppose snowpants would be ok if you were going to be outside all day long and it were unseasonably cold............like it is right now.

Old 11-14-2019, 08:20 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Winters aren't so bad in Oklahoma. But you have to hope every winter there won't be days when things go crazy, like the unforgettable Christmas Eve Blizzard of 2009. It stopped a whole state. But I guess that was a dream day for snow lovers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City