Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2009, 04:46 PM

1 posts, read 4,203 times

Advertisements

My family and I are looking at relocating to the Norman area in late June early July and I was curious about the school systems there. I am a 27yr/old mother of a 6yr/old son who is finishing up his first year of kindergarten at our current location. I have been looking at some websites of rentals and there are i guess 4 different areas to move to. I don't know if that means that there are 4 different school districts, but I am sure there is more than 1.

We are looking to rent at least a 3BR/2BA fairly new house and want to move to a decent neighborhood. Any suggestions are welcomed!

I am also currently pregnant and due in Aug so I will need to find a OB-GYN asap. I would like to find someone that has a good bedside manner and to not be treated as just another patient. Any suggestions are welcomed there as well!

Finally what kind of extra curricular activities are there to do in Norman? My husband works for Schlumberger and is gone most of the time, so I would like to know if there are family friendly activities there to keep me busy? My son is currently involved in baseball and does soccer in the fall so info for these types of activities would be appreciated, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 06:59 PM

18 posts, read 81,850 times
Norman is a great place to live. I do not live there, so I don't know the specifics of what you need - but there are many youth sports leagues, tons of shopping and kid-friendly activities in and around Norman. The college is there, so there are always activities related to that -- plays, parades, various fairs, etc. Google the Norman chamber of commerce, and the Univ of Oklahoma to see what types of events are taking place in the next few months.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:57 PM

297 posts, read 586,628 times
Whew! Moving just a month or two before the baby is due? I can't say much about Norman, besides that was the first place I looked for housing outsite the city, and everything I heard or saw (haven't actually even been to OK yet) was pretty much to my liking, but I do wanna say that I hope you have a happy, safe, low-stress move. As low stress as a move can be, anyway - for your sake, and baby's! Take care and good luck!

Old 05-11-2009, 01:49 AM

15 posts, read 37,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by o0sxered0o View Post
I don't know if that means that there are 4 different school districts, but I am sure there is more than 1.
Norman Public Schools has all of Norman. The best route currently is Cleveland Elementary -> Whittier Middle School -> Norman North High School.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:14 PM

10 posts, read 34,491 times
I currently live in Noble, 5 minutes south of Norman, and lived in Norman for about 3 years. Norman is awesome! I am not a fan of most of Oklahoma, but I wish I could take Norman with me when I move in the fall. I don't have kids, so I don't know too much about the schools, especially the lower grades. But, there are 2 high schools, Norman High and Norman North. NH is in the center of Norman and NN is in northwest Norman. West Norman is considered the rich part of towns (but all parts are pretty nice), so Norman North is considered the "rich" school, also it is newest. I did do some observing at Norman High though for education classes at OU, and Norman High is a pretty good school. It is big and very active.

There seem to be a lot of things for families to do in Norman. You could check with the library and the local museums. Sports is a big deal in Norman, so your kids should have plenty of extracurriculars to do keep them busy.

Because Norman is a college town, there is a lot to do. There are a lot of nice, non-chain restaurants. There is some shopping. OU is always doing something in the community. If anything, OKC is not far away. Also, they just keep building more and more in Norman. Also, the town puts on a lot of events.

Things for you to do, you would just want to ask around. Norman is such a great town for all ages. I will surely miss it.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:19 PM

10 posts, read 34,491 times
Also, as far as nice neighborhoods go, I haven't seen any real bad areas. If you drive around, it is pretty obvious where the better houses are. The Westside is considered better by most, but there are some good eastside neighborhoods, too. Norman is low, low on crime, so it's pretty much a toss-up. East Norman is closer to the lake and the houses usually have more land. West Norman is fancier and closer to shopping and the major highway (I-35). A lot of the neighborhoods in Norman are closed off from the major roads, again, a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City