Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 09:41 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by png22 View Post
Are you - are you serious? Really? I just .. I don't have words.

I don't think cities like Chicago and Boston and L.A. and Seattle and New York and Portland and San Francisco and D.C. and Miami (major cities) really give OKC much thought. And I live here and I think its all right.

I am consistently and constantly blown away by the amount of state pride - and the amount of city pride - that Oklahomans have. Does no one realize that Oklahoma is ranked with Arkansas in the minds of most U.S. citizens? Especially those who have not been here? And the state, while not bad at all, is hardly "world-class" in any of its offerings. That is not surprising or a negative, really - but it is shocking to me that few Okies seem to realize that. Overly healthy self-image, if it were a dictionary word, would have a picture of Oklahoma next to it.
Huh-uh. There's another state that gets the "Pride" title. If you browse around the forums, you'll pick it out instantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 12:21 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,790,523 times
Quote:

I don't think cities like Chicago and Boston and L.A. and Seattle and New York and Portland and San Francisco and D.C. and Miami (major cities) really give OKC much thought. And I live here and I think its all right.

I am consistently and constantly blown away by the amount of state pride - and the amount of city pride - that Oklahomans have. Does no one realize that Oklahoma is ranked with Arkansas in the minds of most U.S. citizens? Especially those who have not been here? And the state, while not bad at all, is hardly "world-class" in any of its offerings. That is not surprising or a negative, really - but it is shocking to me that few Okies seem to realize that. Overly healthy self-image, if it were a dictionary word, would have a picture of Oklahoma next to it.
Having come from a state with a very poor self-image (New Jersey), I say, great that Okies have an over abundance of state pride. It was one of the attractions for me when we moved here.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:32 PM

498 posts, read 1,606,514 times
Quote:
It's a bold statement, I agree, but...

Quote:
Many of those cities you just mentioned sent dignitaries to Oklahoma City in 2000 and 2001 when the MAPS projects were beginning to wrap up. The purpose was to find out how Oklahoma City rallied its population to support MAPS and how MAPS worked, as each of these cities kept facing lost elections on capital improvements packages.

Quote:
I am consistently and constantly blown away by the amount of state pride - and the amount of city pride - that Oklahomans have.
Is that a bad thing? Are we not supposed to have pride?

Quote:
Does no one realize that Oklahoma is ranked with Arkansas in the minds of most U.S. citizens? Especially those who have not been here?
That's America's problem for being so elitist and provincial, especially when they are ignorant to Oklahoma's beginnings compared to Arkansas. It's like comparing apples and squash.

Quote:
And the state, while not bad at all, is hardly "world-class" in any of its offerings.
No one is suggesting it is. But there is nothing wrong with setting lofty goals. That's how one moves forward, just in case you haven't noticed.

Quote:
That is not surprising or a negative, really - but it is shocking to me that few Okies seem to realize that. Overly healthy self-image, if it were a dictionary word, would have a picture of Oklahoma next to it.
That's what Oklahoma needed in order to change, a self-esteem. People constantly run other people down for having no self-esteem.

I am getting the impression that people in America don't want states like Oklahoma to grow, to remind states like Oklahoma that they don't belong. That they should cower and stay under a rock. Is any of this ringing a bell? Did I leave anything out, png?

Old 09-24-2009, 09:40 PM

258 posts, read 1,014,900 times
I am glad OKC is improving, and really hope it continues to do so. I think the Urban Tulsa article the other week had an interesting point when it basically noted how low OKCs self-esteem, and the condition of some of its downtwown areas, the river, etc...once were and how much things have improved. BUT, its almost as if because people in OKC started at such a low point and have seen these dramatic improvements (comparatively speaking), their perspective is a bit skewed. They are dramatic improvements COMPARED to where they were, not necessarily compared to where other cities are. People in OKC have seen a lot of transformation so it "looks" very impressive to them because they have in their mind where things were. A person visiting will not have that perspective for instance. They see OKC as it is compared to where they are from,,, not where OKC has come from. To them OKC may still seem "so so, no big deal". Hope that made some sense lol. Absolutely be proud of the progress, but realize that other people wont be seeing "remarkable degree of progress", they will be seeing where you are, compared to where they are from. For instance...OKC people saw a "ditch/river" that had to be mowed, turned into one that has water in it and a great rowing facility,,, but others coming at it fresh, may see a rather "non scenic" river that is lined with rocks in areas, no trees or hills or mountains, near ugly highways, etc. You can see the remarkable progress and the future vision. Others see it as it appears, at this moment only.

Last edited by TulsaArtist; 09-24-2009 at 09:48 PM..

Old 09-25-2009, 04:49 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
I like Oklahoma. I am proud of being Native American and that I live in a state where such diversity is celebrated. I would be SO disappointed if our cities were like Little Rock or Kansas City or Houston or NYC. Not that those other places are bad, but they are not my home. And if we changed the cities too much I would not have what I call home. I hope and pray that we NEVER become another Dallas. If I liked Dallas I would move there. I don't so I won't. Give me Bricktown or Brookside any day over the Riverwalk or Broadway. Oklahoma fits. The others don't.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:47 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,790,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I like Oklahoma. I am proud of being Native American and that I live in a state where such diversity is celebrated. I would be SO disappointed if our cities were like Little Rock or Kansas City or Houston or NYC. Not that those other places are bad, but they are not my home. And if we changed the cities too much I would not have what I call home. I hope and pray that we NEVER become another Dallas. If I liked Dallas I would move there. I don't so I won't. Give me Bricktown or Brookside any day over the Riverwalk or Broadway. Oklahoma fits. The others don't.
So true, GP. Last Thanksgiving my family drove back from NJ to OKC. We went through a number of cities, obviously, and when anyone remarked about the city we were in, my response always was "it's nice, but it's not like OKC." Even though I've lived in other states and most recently in NJ for 22 years, I still had a sense of "coming home" when we hit all the bumps on I-40 outside of OKC.

Not every city is wonderful for every person. Being where you "fit" whether it's where you were born and grew up, or where you transplanted yourself to is very important.

Someone recently posted how horrible OKC was compared to her new home of Houston. I wouldn't live in Houston on a bet, but she seems to be very happy there, and that's great. Not everyone's lifestyle fits in OKC.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:31 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:

Like or not Oklahoma City has come a long way since it tried to ban the movie, "The Tin Drum" in 1999.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Like or not Oklahoma City has come a long way since it tried to ban the movie, "The Tin Drum" in 1999.
FYI Oklahoma City did not try to ban "The Tin Drum". OCAF tried (Oklahomans for Children and Families), which caught so much heat in OKC that they are now disbanded.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:06 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
FYI Oklahoma City did not try to ban "The Tin Drum". OCAF tried (Oklahomans for Children and Families), which caught so much heat in OKC that they are now disbanded.
Nevertheless, you in no way can get out of saying that Oklahoma City played an important role in banning "The Tin Drum", like when Oklahoma City police went to video stores to confiscate copies without even so much as a warrent.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:59 PM

They were ordered by a judge to do so. However, where the OCPD went wrong was seizing the copies without a warrant. Oops.

However, this was twelve years ago. TWELVE! This is why Oklahoma has such a hard time moving forward people. You all dwell on the mistakes made in this state for at least thirty years before you let it go.

Heck, people even still hold Oklahoma accountable for Kerr McGee and Karen Silkwood. And that was in 1974!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City