Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 01:21 PM

101 posts, read 356,429 times

Advertisements

I've spent several months looking at places to move and finally picked one
.....but I have a few concerns about it and I am just snooping around for other areas to compare it to.

I chose Floyd, VA.....but the taxes and government intrusion there scare me a little,
otherwise it meets all of my requirements. I don't know much about Oklahoma, but Poteau sounded kinda nice.
Anyone on these forums familiar with it?

looking for:
*low cost of living
*small government, mostly conservative.....with LOW TAXES. I'm wanting to make my next move permanent.
*low crime rate
*gun friendly
*pet friendly
*pretty scenery, with low cost acreage available near near water...MILD climate....not extreme either way.....how does this area compare to the mountains/foothills of the Appalachians as far as humidity...bugs....nice weather.....pretty scenery.....access to water?
.....I do like to play in snow occasionally and prefer rolling foothills near mountains.
I also like hunting, kayaking and rock climbing.
*rural, yet vibrant community with artists, artisans, self-reliant homesteader types and musicians
....within a 30 min. drive of a larger community (30k to 150k people) for business/shopping purposes
*access to organic produce, meat and raw goat's milk
*no big box stores or blacktop jungles. I like a town with some character, slow pace of life and interesting architecture.
*a decent hardware store and a nice restaurant or two.
*NOT a dry county, I like wine with dinner.

Choices so far have been:
#1 Floyd or Boones Mill, VA
#2 Townsend, Tullahoma, or Johnson City, TN
#3 Mountain Home or outskirts of Fort Smith or Fayetteville, AR
#4 Corvallis, Coos Bay, Roseburg, Astoria, Seaside or La Pine, OR
#5 Florence, Rock City, Gadsden or Mentone, Alabama
#6 Coeur D'Alene, Idaho
#6 Poteau, OK

Any other recommendations would be welcome.

Not sure of all that Poteau offers, but it sounds nice.

Broken Bow seems like a pretty area as well....anyone know much about it?....what about Heavener?

Last edited by Yac; 02-13-2007 at 04:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 02:49 PM

15 posts, read 69,329 times
first let me say i am from virginia. I moved to okc with my hubby 4 years ago and my hubby is from broken bow. Broken bow is very pretty but a small taking town.. there is nothing to do but fish and ride boats and play in the lake. Dont get me wrong the lake is very nice but you have to leave the town to go to a mall or anything besides walmart my hubby family goes to texas to shop and see the docs which i think it way to much when you have to leave a state to get to the nearest big city..I also will say this i do not like oklahoma city i find people here are rude, not open mined at all. I have been wanted to move out of here the first week i came here 4 years ago. The schools in the city are not very good and people do not mix here there is a scection for each race seems like to me.jmo on okc. the good things are low cost of living, low real estate. not trying to put the state down or anything but i just dont fit in here..

Old 02-11-2007, 03:11 PM

I LIKE small rural towns with "nothing" to do.....I have no interest in city amenities (or problems) for the most part. I just need access to a few dentists for work purposes....a community between 30k-150k people, within 30 miles, is just about right.

A tightly knit local community with a few small live music venues, organic market/store, hardware store, homesteader type country folks, pretty scenery with lots of outdoors activities, low taxes and small government is what I'm after. This isn't impossible or "Utopia", Floyd, VA has almost all of these things.....its just the taxes and nosy government bother me, so I'm shopping around. I may still end up there.

I'm not trying to be hard on you, so don't take it that way. I just have no use for malls, traffic, politics, big government liberals and all of the crap that goes with living in a big city.

I just have a few specific amenities I'm after and I want someplace mild, pleasant and GREEN. Since you lived in VA, is this area of OK anything like VA as far as the countryside? I'm worried about bugs....and pokey plants....and brown vistas. I have that in NM and I'm DONE with it.

Old 02-11-2007, 05:43 PM

17,817 posts, read 13,729,146 times
I lived in Poteau about 10 years ago. I think it fits all your needs that you described except for the organic food place. I expect you can find that in Ft. Smith Arkansas (about 30 miles away).

Poteau is at the southwest edge of the NW Arkansas market area which includes about 750K. Between Ft. Smith and Fayetteville you can get most Big City things you need. Ft. Smith even has a symphony.

Poteau is a blue collar town. It's a hunting, fishing, fourwheeling kind of place. The town itself is kind of a dump but the setting is borderline spectacular. If you get a house on the ridges up on Cavanal hill the views are truly spectacular. I think there are a couple of decent restaurants there now.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I lived in Poteau about 10 years ago. I think it fits all your needs that you described except for the organic food place. I expect you can find that in Ft. Smith Arkansas (about 30 miles away).

Poteau is at the southwest edge of the NW Arkansas market area which includes about 750K. Between Ft. Smith and Fayetteville you can get most Big City things you need. Ft. Smith even has a symphony.

Poteau is a blue collar town. It's a hunting, fishing, fourwheeling kind of place. The town itself is kind of a dump but the setting is borderline spectacular. If you get a house on the ridges up on Cavanal hill the views are truly spectacular. I think there are a couple of decent restaurants there now.
Thanks eddie, I'll investigate a little further.

Old 02-11-2007, 07:14 PM

15 posts, read 69,329 times
well if thats all your looking for broken bow is a small town with lots of out door stuff.the lake is wonderful..It looks very outdoor and woods there..

Old 02-22-2007, 06:00 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,152,335 times
Hey MyCitySearchName,

This is SeaBeebolt, Get ahold of MelinPoteau she has been real helpful to my wife and I on info on Poteau. Later Gator

Old 02-23-2007, 11:41 AM

thank you...I'll do that.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:09 PM

4 posts, read 21,719 times
I live in Poteau. We have a low cost of living, senior citizens can file for a freeze on their property taxes, there are also benefits for veterans. We have opportunites with community theater at Carl Albert College. Ft Smith is about 30 minutes east, and they have summer outdoor concerts. We are within about 2 hours of several lakes. If you like horseback riding, there are trails about 40 miles south of Poteau. Robbers Cave near Wilburton, OK has great hiking trails, and I think rock climbing. The Illinois River offers float trips, and there are several places south, close to Broken Bow that also have float and canoe trips. Hope this helps

Last edited by kimmieyky; 03-02-2007 at 10:11 PM.. Reason: No realtor advertising

Old 04-14-2007, 08:40 PM

2 posts, read 11,631 times
Broken Bow is a very small town with lots of charm and big oportunities. Anyone looking for a small town to live in will love Broken Bow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma