Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 12:24 PM

17 posts, read 24,964 times

Advertisements

I was in Big Lots in MWC when I noticed what looked like a shopping mall across the street. Turns out it was Heritage Park Mall when I looked it up online. It'd just closed; I'd been to other malls including Crossroads, Shepard, Penn Square and Quail Springs but I have no recollection ever of HPM. I even wondered if there's another mall I haven't been to. Sure enough, that's HPM.

Too late for me, tho. Next time I was in the area, I cruised around the parking lot. The whole building still looked good and I missed the damage(s) mentioned here in this thread (maybe all up on the roof, that I didn't see?). On a later trip, I went into Sears and headed to what looked like the mall entrance. It's all shut by glass and the curtains in place outside really limited my view into what looked like a nice concourse based on what I've seen in pictures of this place.

I also took the time to check out the outside entrances. I was at one when one person in a SUV stopped by to ask. Not understanding what he said, but guessing if the mall's even open, I said the mall had closed "early last year". That was in mid '11. Anyway, I wasted no time in checking it further just in case a police happens by. Didn't want to risk delaying my time away from home. lol

I will return again someday to see what it's like then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 09:02 PM

241 posts, read 223,864 times
This is a really sad situation. As bizarre as it may sound, somebody who's familiar with the place (i.e. shopped there, lived in the area) should have funds pooled together to buy it and have the mall restored. If the buyer were just willing to put work into having it brought back to its former glory, and a well worked-out plan for restoration, then it shouldn't be too difficult to achieve (assuming this person were actually smart and devoted to this cause).

Old 03-04-2015, 11:38 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,668,526 times
Surely, malls like Heritage Park close, due to it costing too much to heat and cool the mall, so owners have to charge higher rents than strip mall owners.

Maybe enclosed malls could come back if a real cheap way to heat and cool them can be found. Solar? Windmills?

Old 03-04-2015, 08:06 PM

@StillwaterTownie
Costs of heating/air conditioning would definitely be an issue, possibly the biggest problem beside maintenance costs. Both of these sound like good options, seeing as solar energy is an (almost) booming industry, with it becoming a more and more common/popular in addition to cheaper energy source all the time, not to mention the technological advancements in recent years, making them more efficient (sorry if any of this post was repetitive). Diddo (I don't know if I spelled that right) for wind energy. Both conventional and thermal solar panels could cut costs tremendously over time. I also think investing in better building insulation could end up cutting costs. Would you say a combination of these methods would "cut this problem down to size", or do we need some more/better ideas, or modifications to these ideas perhaps?

Old 03-04-2015, 08:14 PM

In addition to my last post, I'd also like to say that small wind turbines can be built cheaply, thus making them easy to custom build and mass-produce, which would be much less expensive than buying them from a private business, actually making this the best idea proposed (in my opinion).

Old 03-04-2015, 08:17 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,516,517 times
I think that's the one that has one of those Life Churches in the west side of the old mall.

Could be wrong but I think I remember seeing it last time I was on the east side of the Metro.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:58 PM

@Bass&Catfish2008
Yeah, that's the one you're thinking of.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:03 AM

If anyone has any ideas that could be helpful for having Heritage Park Mall restored, please post them. Your ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:13 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,668,526 times
Churches are so popular in Oklahoma. So turn Heritage Park into a mall for a bunch of churches, Heritage Park Church Mall. Or something else religious oriented, like an indoor holy land or creationism park. Show Adam and Eve riding dinosaurs.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:00 AM

...Not sure I could get a bunch of churches to go to Heritage Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma