Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 08:49 PM

30 posts, read 42,817 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Stillwater in a month from Colorado. We currently have Dish Network and are pretty satisfied, but I'm wondering what everyone prefers in Stillwater? Would it be best to have Dish transfer our account or just get something new? We would also be looking for high speed internet, so if there are bundle options or recommendations for that, we'd appreciate it as well.

Thanks!

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 09:35 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Well, problems with Suddenlink, the cable provider, seem to be subsiding, even though the vice president of customer service for that company has publicly admitted botching their service in two cities, with one of them Stillwater, over the changeover from analog to digital. My experience has always been with cable. I have it bundled, meaning TV, phone and Internet. It costs $152.24 with no premium like HBO. Suddenlink expects to increase its top Internet speed offered by this summer to as much as 50mbs. I've had some trouble with their service before, but not very recently. In one instance, the modem had to be replaced.

I guess the main reason I don't have satellite is because it doesn't have a local access public channel, so I can see city council meetings when I want to. Also satellite seems to have a reputation of messing up during rain storms. I don't think satellite dishes are real popular in Stillwater, but they are definitely scattered around some.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:41 PM

Thanks for the reply. We've had Dish for quite some time now and we do have some issues during rain or snow, but not very often or very serious. Is Suddenlink the only cable company option in Stillwater? If we don't go with them for high-speed internet, are there other popular options in the area that you know of?

Thanks for the info...I'll start some research on Suddenlink for now and hope to hear more!

Mike

Old 02-27-2012, 10:27 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoffitt View Post
Thanks for the reply. We've had Dish for quite some time now and we do have some issues during rain or snow, but not very often or very serious. Is Suddenlink the only cable company option in Stillwater? If we don't go with them for high-speed internet, are there other popular options in the area that you know of?

Thanks for the info...I'll start some research on Suddenlink for now and hope to hear more!

Mike
I live nearby. You get a whole lot more channels with Dish than Suddenlink. Suddenlink is the only cable internet provider, I believe. Their speed is pretty good and I've never run into problems with outages. Dish dies on you just before a storm but otherwise is very reliable.

Cox may be there but I'm not sure. Someone local will have to answer on that one. Personally, cost and service wise, I'd keep dish and use cable for internet.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:09 AM

702 posts, read 2,518,294 times
My son had a house in Stillwater while attending OSU and Suddenlink was horrible regarding internet speed. I can't remember what download speed he was paying for, I think 6meg but typically speed was never over 1.5. Multiple service calls, lost track of the number of times their techs came to his house and looked at signal quality, etc., and they never lowered his price or resolved the issue. When he complained about the speed they would always say the 6meg was not a guarantee so that was their way out. Kind of funny they don't guarantee the speed yet why do they have a tiered system in speed you pay for??? I'd stay away from Suddenlink at all costs!

Old 03-04-2012, 01:50 PM

I have Suddenlink and would be reluctant to let it go since it has been trouble free, so far this year.

ATT's U-verse is available in part of Stillwater. I haven't heard how good it is.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:20 PM

Townie,
Do you have Suddenlink for both internet and cable or just one or the other? Which internet speed do you use?

Thanks to all the other replies too...it is very helpful!

Mike

Old 03-19-2012, 02:15 AM

4 posts, read 5,760 times
I live in Stillwater. I have Suddenlink for my cable and internet, the internet being the "medium" speed. Their service is TERRIBLE. Everyone I know who uses them, which is most of Stillwater due to lack of options, complains about how channels go out (especially televised OSU sports for some reason) and how the internet is slow and sketchy at best. Also! Suddenlink recently released a statement to all its subscribers that its internet is no longer unlimited. I can't remember what happens if you go over, but you're only allowed a certain amount of data now. And why? Because they CAN.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:21 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,509,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindseymichelle4 View Post
I live in Stillwater. I have Suddenlink for my cable and internet, the internet being the "medium" speed. Their service is TERRIBLE. Everyone I know who uses them, which is most of Stillwater due to lack of options, complains about how channels go out (especially televised OSU sports for some reason) and how the internet is slow and sketchy at best. Also! Suddenlink recently released a statement to all its subscribers that its internet is no longer unlimited. I can't remember what happens if you go over, but you're only allowed a certain amount of data now. And why? Because they CAN.
Is Cox not available there, Lindsey? It's been a few years since I was in Stillwater so I can't say that I know that much about its utilities/services.

My folks have Cox and I'm quite pleased with the connection speed when I'm accessing the Internet from their house.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:27 AM

Cox got sold to SuddenLink years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma