Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 02:51 PM

4 posts, read 10,930 times

Advertisements

I'm living in new england right now, and I'm thinking of moving to OK. What's the attitude towards immigrants there? Is someone from another country with a foreign accent going to be treated the same as in a more liberal state? Or is the redneck stereotype accurate, meaning I should look elsewhere? Will a person be looked down upon for having a foreign accent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 03:34 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
Depends on the accent.............

We certainly have our share of rednecks. But for the most part we like to see people act like people. We aren't too into attitudes........someone posted the other day comparing Tulsa restaurants to Chicago's.....several people suggested that that person move back to Chicago if they didn't like what they found here. But people that are good neighbors are welcome anytime. Tulsa is home a numerous nationalities. We have one of the best Ocktoberfests in the nation, we host Native American Pow Wows, we have Buddhist temples, Muslim mosques, and a small Sikh community. We have one of the larger Muslim communities in the region simply because of the University of Tulsa whose focus has traditionally been in the geology and petroleum engineering which has attracted a large number of middle east students. Another attraction is Spartan School of Aeronautics, where students from around the world learn to be airplane mechanics and pilots.

We have an active interfaith council that works well between the Jewish, Christian, and Muslim communities.....we really do face similar issues and we have a lot in common in our daily lives.

We have Dutch and German and Greek festivals as well. We have a small Thai community and a large (legal) Hispanic community. I spoke with a teacher from Broken Arrow (a suburb of Tulsa) and they say they are tracking 37 different home languages in their students.

FWIW, Schousse, a member of this forum, is from the Netherlands, and people like her better than the do me, and I was born here. Diversity is well received......a**holes like me aren't.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:52 PM

4 posts, read 10,930 times
I wasn't really asking about diversity, but rather how it is accepted. It would be pretty hard to find medium sized cities that don't have a significant number of foreign residents. The presence of those foreign residents, however, does not mean they are accepted. I apologize for what I'm doing, but I'll be honest with you- I've never been to OK, and I'm only going on stereotypes here (OK=conservatives=don't like immigrants). Yes, I realize this is ironic that I'm worrying about the stereotypical views of the stereotypes I have of OK'.s

I read an article recently that OK lost 20,000 hotel/restaurant workers due to a new law that is putting the burden of hiring legal workers on employers. If someone with a foreign accent walks into a hotel looking for a job, what's the reaction going to be? I know that if I was the one that owned the hotel, I'd be a bit wary of hiring that person. What if their working papers are fake? It would probably be easier to steer clear of foreigners and hire people that I know are American. It's a very understandable reaction to have. Would it be a bad move for an immigrant to move to an area with a political climate that puts this type of pressure on people? Are the politics a direct result of the viewpoints of a majority of the people in the area?

Old 11-23-2007, 03:47 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,353,570 times
Oklahomans are not against immigrants; they are against illegal aliens, those that come here without proper papers. Those that sneak across the border and into our country. If you are an immigrant, meaning you have legal papers, then you are welcomed here. No one will bother you. I have a strong foreign accent because I am from CA, but I am welcomed here. Others from all countries are welcome.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:35 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,621,625 times
My DIL is from Russia, and has quite an accent. She has her correct papers and she had a good job, and has tons of friends.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:10 PM

74 posts, read 316,830 times
i'm Belgian and have been living here since Januari. i don't have any problems with anybody. but alot of people dont seem to realise i'm not american. apparently i do NOT sound like Jean Claude Van Damme

only one lady asked me where i came from. but in all honestly i dont think people here have a problem with immigrants

Old 11-25-2007, 06:42 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,546,367 times
We live in a town of about 125 people. I have never had a problem with Okies looking at me funny or treating me with less than respect because I am a foreigner. When I lived in New England that was a whole different story.

One word of advise, though. When you decide to move here you may lose the word "rednecks" from your vocabulary. It is a derogatory expression for people who work outdoors. In addition .... Okies are very different from people in other southern states. You may want to do some research.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:06 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,790,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
We live in a town of about 125 people. I have never had a problem with Okies looking at me funny or treating me with less than respect because I am a foreigner. When I lived in New England that was a whole different story.

One word of advise, though. When you decide to move here you may lose the word "rednecks" from your vocabulary. It is a derogatory expression for people who work outdoors. In addition .... Okies are very different from people in other southern states. You may want to do some research.

Okay, on behalf of those who will be joining your state in the near future, what do you see as the differences between Okies and people in other southern states?

Old 11-25-2007, 01:11 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,403,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Okay, on behalf of those who will be joining your state in the near future, what do you see as the differences between Okies and people in other southern states?
NJ is a Southern state?
(Sorry, you didn't see this and I wasn't here. I was being a wise-guy.)

M.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:34 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,790,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
NJ is a Southern state?
(Sorry, you didn't see this and I wasn't here. I was being a wise-guy.)

M.

Actually, part of New Jersey is below the Mason-Dixon line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma